my 1st post! - weber 12A125A for a studio .22? and tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architele

Reaction score
my first post - be gentle!

I've been considering a weber replacement for my studio .22 and I have a shot at a weber 12a125a for cheeeeep.

I'd like opinions please

also she needs new tubes bad, so i'd also like to hear your studio .22
glory/horror retubing stories.

by the way I play fenders thru her.

thanks folks!

Go for it.

Personally I thought the stock Vintage Black Shadow was o-kay at best. Weber has good stuff especially if you are not into the ultra high gains stuff.

12A125 => alnico magnet, 1-1/4" voice coil. Great Match for Studio .22+. Depending how fast you want to break up (distort). 12A100 (for me) are great for smaller amps like in the 5 watt to 15 watt and 12A150 are better suited for 45-50 watt range amps so yes, 12A125 will suit the Studio .22 fine.

All this is my opinion so someones else opinion may prefer different. I'm coming from a moderate gain prespective so your taste my differ.

I posted in another post I plan to change the preamp tubes from the 12AX7s to 5751s, and / or 12YA7s because I want to lower the preamp gain on the distortion channel, with Christmas and work I haven't had a chance.

I'll report later.

Retubing is fairly straight forward, remove the aluminum plate cover and replace the tubes. As far as which tube if you plan to not use MESA stuff, you would have to asks others. That topic I'm not familiar with.

great tips -

thanks

I'm still new to the guitar world after being primarily a bass player for 30 years, so I really appreciate the knowledge.

I didn't set out to own this studio .22, just came across a great deal on craig's list, and I'm mostly thrilled with but looking forward to the new tones these mods can tweak out of it.

one other question - do you think the 5751s, and / or 12YA7 s will reduce the overall volume of the amp?

architele said:
one other question - do you think the 5751s, and / or 12YA7 s will reduce the overall volume of the amp?
uh, yeah, that would be the trade off. Changing the 12AX7s you may lose some volume, so gain and maybe some dynamics(? not sure though).

I'm not too sure if I recommend this to other Studio .22+ owners swapping out the 12Ax7 tubes for either 5751 or 12YA7 because many are high gain users while I'm into moderate gain. You see, initially with the 12AX7s, I do put the gain no more than pass "5". After pass "5" it just get more noiser and more saturated. I guess more saturated is fine with high gain users.

Heck if I had my way, I would find a way to have a switch for either tube rectifier (5U4, or 5YA) and solid state rectifier. But that's out of my knowledge and not to mentioned modifying a pc board for that modification might not be practical.

Back