Mark V Mojo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidrg1550

Reaction score
I'm new to the board and would like to start this topic but it has possible been discussed previously.

Maybe its just me but does anyone else think the MKV has lost the classic Mark mojo?

For me a big part of the Marks appeal was is the look and the way it functioned, the compact combo size (the giant killer look), the fender inspired numbered knobs and pull pots to access secondary functions.

I see these as integral to the Mark design like the graphic EQ, Pentode/triode etc, and a HUGE part of its lineage, does anyone else miss this in the current MKV design?

Maybe it has lost something... and if it did... i can't even think how the others could sound... cause this is the best amp i've played, i would love to have a small IV or III head... or better, I would love if this head was a little smaller, but it isn't... and when I see guys carrying a Dual, triple, stilleto, marshall.. i still feel it is smaller a lot that those! Even if it is a bit heavier (I believe it is but haven't checked)

Totally agree RKorn, the MKV is the best sounding amp I've played, more refined than my MKIV. I can see why Mesa changed from the pull switches to the DPDT styles switches, its all about them listening to player feedback and what we players want.

The MKV is the next line in the Mark series evolution, and despite what I think about the amps aesthetics (it certainly ain't ugly, LOL) not being 'classic' Mark series, the amp sounds stellar!

It is missing many old-style Mark series characteristice, e.g, no giant heatsink in the back, no accessory outlet, no skirted knobs, no push-pull pots (save for the Pull Mute), and no "Compact" option. It is also missing a bit of that "smoothness" that the older amps have. I think it sounds grainier than older Marks. It sounds closer to the Recto type of gain in some cases. But in the end, these are all welcome changes, as previous Marks were VERY limiting in their functionality, as compromises had to be made in their shared tone stacks to make all channels blend together. The V is the first to have 3 independent tone stacks, and separate voicing switches for each channel. Ultimately, all those pull switches get confusing anyways, so the mini-toggles are a welcome upgrade.

So yeah, it isn't very much like it's older brothers, but it fixes almost every usability problem that they all had. That is why it is so different: because it is so refined.

Whatever it lacks (and it is subjective and minute at best) it makes up for in tone and practical functionality overall.

This is the best amp head that I have ever played...BY FAR. I've owned them all Marshall, Mesa, Engl, Diezel, Bogner, Fractal AXE-FX, etc.

>Photi G< said:
So yeah, it isn't very much like it's older brothers, but it fixes almost every usability problem that they all had. That is why it is so different: because it is so refined.

The Mark IV has so many options that it allows you to paint yourself into a "bad tone" corner, if you are not careful. The Mark II and III amps with their shared tone controls are another issue altogether, that I will deal with respectfully. 8)

I just got my Mark V head about a week ago and have already played one gig with it. I can say that it is far superior to the last Mark I had (Mark IIB combo in 1981). Coming from a modeling amp (zenTera combo) for the last 10 years, this amp simply sings! I don't miss the push pulls as they were a bit of a pain on my IIB. I LOVE the cleans on channel one! So expressive and responsive just creamy. Still working on learning everything, but this is a great amp with Mojo to spare!

I do like the simplified look of the Mark I thru III, however I was never a big fan of the Mark IV's layout. I think the Mark V is probably their best looking amp at the moment.

As for mojo... I guess that depends on how you dial it in. Like Joey said above, it's pretty easy to dial in bad sounds on a Mark amp.... in which case one would be inclinded to assume the amp has no mojo. However, when you do find those good settings it's always a "holy f*ck!" kind of experience for me.

On the Mark V website it says it has an EQ... with sliders, besides the "normal" knobs, and this is where you put the V shape.
If any kind of V is used... I can't think of a bad tone possible with this amp.
My amp has played for hours... and still... so much AWSOME tone to find!! Not a bad tone found yet!

Still, i stick with my idea.
Mesa should bring 3 mark VIs.... the one for 1st channel, 2nd for only 2nd channel and 3rd for the high gain channel.
All in very small heads! half the price of a Mark V, and one would buy the one one uses the most. I would buy the 3rd channel one! after some months i would buy the 1st channel... and that would be all I need. I had spent more than with a Mark V. And for some gigs just one little head, for others i would bring the two!!! Mesa would still make a lot of cash!!

Stupid spell corrector (everytime I come here and read my posts, somethings don't make sense, i have to read what i write before submiting)

It seems that changes made to the MKVs appearance and functionality have been very well received by all, new Mark owners and older Mark series owners alike!

Mesa have learned lots in terms of design and what players are looking for in those 20 years between the MKIV and MKV and while not functioning or really looking like the older Marks its clear that we all think this Mark series is by far the pinnacle of the lines evolution :D

I can't think of what the Mark VI will have... maybe someone here can identify things that the MarkV doesn't do well and could do better...
I have heard someone say here before, that the best would be sliders EQ sepparate for all channels... For me, this would be useless, but i understand that for some this might come in handy!

The only missing element is midi. Having all the various amp combos at you fingertips is great, but if you could switch programs live (and have the amp remember ALL of the patch settings) that will be the next step.

I waited 10 years to move away from my zenTera for that reason! I'll move to a Mark VI midi as soon as it is available!

Having never owned a Mark series amp before now, I can say that the lack of push/pull functions is one of the reasons I decided to give the Mark V a try. I much prefer the mini toggles. It's much more me-friendly.

And the tone... Wow! I was totally befuddled at first but at whatever point the planets aligned and I nailed the EQ curve with the proper mode and gain settings, I was sold. This is THE sound I've been missing, even after owning many different Boogies and Marshalls over 20 years.

My amp smokes my buddy's ENGL and he knows it. It's a good feeling.

When you can turn off all your FX and still be blown away by the sound..you got a great amp...pure raw Mesa grit....yeah baby...I never owned a Mesa amp before the V, but I sure love what I was Missin....I have gotten used to the layout of the V wound'nt have it any other way....instead of 123 it,s 7:00 to 5:00 on the knobs which say tweek me please....I think I'm in Love..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The OP has asked....has the MkV lost the Mark Mojo that was first introduced many years ago?

I have never owned a genuine MkI, MkII or even MkIII for that matter. I have owned, and still do own a MkIV widebody combo, and yes, I still feel it is an excellent amp (with Mojo).

However, my MkIV (with all its Mojo) can't hold a candle to the wind compared to my MkV!

Personally, I dislike all of the "push-pull" pot features, and shared preamp knobs for Ch1 and 2 offered with the IV. However, this is only because the MkIV is a very dated amp.....and in fact, I loved it's awesome features and flexibility back then. In fact, one could easily say that Mesa's MkIV amp was way ahead of its time for flexibility offered in a great 3 channel tube amp.....and the MkIV is still a great amp.

IMO....Mesa "enhanced" the Mark Mojo when they introduced the MkV. Honestly, it offered all of the things that I thought to be lacking in the MkIV and then some.....and it turned out to be a Whole Lot Of Then Some!

The possibilities offered in the MkV compared to my MkIV are exponential, and in no way do I feel that Mesa has lost their Mark Mojo with their V. IMO, they have only increased the Mark Mojo with this excellent amp!

My MkV is clearly my favorite amp for my needs to date!! No, not because it has modes titled Mk1, IIc and IV (which I could care less what they are called), but rather because my V provides me with incredible tonal flexibility which sounds great regardless of my needs for a particular session (home, rehearsal, gig or studio)! I have never owned any other amp (or gear) in my life where I felt so confident about the quality of tone that I can achieve from my MkV...regardless of venue, and that is saying a lot. My .02

Nice post MBJunkie!

I'm a big fan of the Mark series and think that Mesa made a good and bold move by changing those few little things that change the look an feel of the amp (for the better).

I'm a huge one for aesthetics and the addition of these new mode switches and non-skirted knobs was a bit of a departure and while the MKV functions better and sounds more refined, I personally would have liked to see the fender style knobs and maybe one or two pull switches, purely as a nod to the amps lineage, but that's purely subjective, it doesn't detract from a world class amp!

Latest posts

Back