Anyone replace their IIc+ with a Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
And if so, how long ago did you, and are you satisfied?

My IIc+ is a DRX (non-graphic), and I actually find myself playing mostly without "pull deep" engaged. My aim in the most singing, vocal, harmonically-rich lead tone. I'm not in it for the tight rhythm crunch (I actually have a late IIb DRGX that does it quite well, whenever I need my fix of that).

I understand the appeal of the IIc+ rhythm sound, but I find that the amp shines most for leads (esp. w/o "pull deep," even with decent amounts of gain). Anyone else who loves these sounds from their IIc+: how does the V compare? Curious about every iteration (90, 35, 25).

I ask because I'm wondering if I really need a 5k piece of gear. Maybe I do!
Present: Mark IIc+ DRX (RP11), Mark IIb DRGX (RP9C)

I would say, go with what you have. The only one that I would even consider is the 35 watt Mark V, and that would be if you had to have a lower wattage amp.

erickompositör72 said:
And if so, how long ago did you, and are you satisfied?

My IIc+ is a DRX (non-graphic), and I actually find myself playing mostly without "pull deep" engaged. My aim in the most singing, vocal, harmonically-rich lead tone. I'm not in it for the tight rhythm crunch (I actually have a late IIb DRGX that does it quite well, whenever I need my fix of that).

I understand the appeal of the IIc+ rhythm sound, but I find that the amp shines most for leads (esp. w/o "pull deep," even with decent amounts of gain). Anyone else who loves these sounds from their IIc+: how does the V compare? Curious about every iteration (90, 35, 25).

I ask because I'm wondering if I really need a 5k piece of gear. Maybe I do!
Present: Mark IIc+ DRX (RP11), Mark IIb DRGX (RP9C)

No way in hell!

The actual IIC+ and MKIV Rev A, will always be my 2 favorite Marks, with the original MKI just slightly behind.

Obviously this is all so subjective as in "if it sounds good to you, it IS GOOD" and all that. Depending on who YOU are.

I'm not ever planning to buy any new Mesa since the Gibson aquisition. Attrition of everything that made Mesa great is inevitable. The nails are already in that coffin. Nothing Gibson ever dragged their paws across ended up improving. Most of what they touch eventually turns to $h!t.

I recently acquired a second MKIV Rev A combo. Just sent the chassis to Petaluma/Mike Bendinelli for him to do his magic. He is the master, and I wanted to get this last one to him before he retires.

I currently have a MKV 90W combo with a 1/2022 mfr date on it. I'm still not all in on it, but plan on holding on to it as a matter of personal posterity. I'll see what I think of it next year, and if I feel the same next year, it WILL BE GONE!

What really irks me is the marketing bullshit on these V's!

I have a REAL MKIIC+, MKI, and now 3 MKIV's. This incredulous bullshit that the MKV is all these amps in one, is just that!! Complete and utter BULLSHIT!!! The watered down versions in the MKV are nothing at all like what they claim to emulate, no matter where the controls are set. No how, now way. Same with the mashed potato sounding JP2C.

R.I.P. Mesa. You had a great run, and nothing lasts forever.

I can say I replaced my Mark V90 with the JP2C.
As for the vintage amp, I would not let it go.
Now that the Mark VII is out, give it a try if you can find one available. I have yet to try one myself.

apparently I posted a response here that belonged on another thread. I don't see a delete option so I can only edit. you can go about your business. move along, move along..

Last edited:

Attachments

• IIC_CaptorAA.jpg
    IIC_CaptorAA.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 0
No way in hell!

The actual IIC+ and MKIV Rev A, will always be my 2 favorite Marks, with the original MKI just slightly behind.

Obviously this is all so subjective as in "if it sounds good to you, it IS GOOD" and all that. Depending on who YOU are.

I'm not ever planning to buy any new Mesa since the Gibson aquisition. Attrition of everything that made Mesa great is inevitable. The nails are already in that coffin. Nothing Gibson ever dragged their paws across ended up improving. Most of what they touch eventually turns to $h!t.

I recently acquired a second MKIV Rev A combo. Just sent the chassis to Petaluma/Mike Bendinelli for him to do his magic. He is the master, and I wanted to get this last one to him before he retires.

I currently have a MKV 90W combo with a 1/2022 mfr date on it. I'm still not all in on it, but plan on holding on to it as a matter of personal posterity. I'll see what I think of it next year, and if I feel the same next year, it WILL BE GONE!

I have a REAL MKIIC+, MKI, and now 3 MKIV's. This incredulous bullshit that the MKV is all these amps in one, is just that!! Complete and utter BULLSHIT!!! The watered down versions in the MKV are nothing at all like what they claim to emulate, no matter where the controls are set. No how, now way. Same with the mashed potato sounding JP2C.

Lol. Good call on the marketing lore.

Agreed with El Rey.

Fought with the Mark V for the 3 years I had it, always thinking day after day, after many minutes of tweaking both amp and my Axe Fx eq's (in 4CM) that I had finally got a great lead tone. But Alas... nope...not for me. I already had an early model TriAxis to compare it to and the Mark V could not match it...the TA was more "organic". Don't know enough about amp design to say with any certainty, but I wondered if the signal path thru the Mark V was just too complicated with too many features that could be switched in and out and that is what causes what many of us are hearing/complaining about.

So sold off the Mark V about 8 years ago and then within the next year got a couple deals on both a Mark IVa and a Mark III red stripe...this was a time before the prices skyrocketed. They now will be with me until I am done playing...hopefully another 10-20 years if my sore hands can hold up...

I've never had a IIC+ but I have the next best thing, a Mark III blue stripe, and it is most definitely "in the balllpark", for sure.

I also have a Mark V :90 and even if it doesn't quite duplicate a IIC+, it is still a super impressive, very well engineered amp that's
absolutely full of great tones for me to play with. Mine isn't going anywhere.

I bought a V 90 a few years ago after reading the AT7 Mod thread over and over. I was very disappointed in CH 3 on the V. MKIIC+ mode was thin and nothing like what I expected. IV mode was better, but still not what I hoped for. Now, Tweed mode on CH1 was out of this world, but in the end, that wasn't enough for me to keep the amp. I sold it off about 2 years ago, got a JP2C, and I am much more satisfied. If I could find, and afford, a real IIC+, I would grab it in an instant. But, now I have a IIB and I honestly no longer care if I ever find a IIC+. If you have one, I would stick with it.

All the modes now missing in the VII has completely turned me off from the new Mark.

No way in hell!

I've got one of the last Mk4 combos available. Would I be missing something if I didn't try to have Mike Bendinelli do whatever it is he does? What does he do? How would I reach him?

Thanks from an ignoramous.

And speaking of great amps, I bought a transatlantic 15w lunchbox amp a little while ago and so far there's nothing about that amp I don't like. And I seem to excell in finding things I don't like.

Attachments

• 20230228_205933.jpg
    20230228_205933.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230227_225511.jpg
    20230227_225511.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 0
I've got one of the last Mk4 combos available. Would I be missing something if I didn't try to have Mike Bendinelli do whatever it is he does? What does he do? How would I reach him?

I had him go over my IVB. According to Mike, they used some capacitors for a period of time that turn out to leak after a while. The scary part is that if they begin leaking, Mesa likely won’t service it for you. Apparently it makes a mess of the board and Mike doesn’t want to deal w/ it anymore. I took several pics and sent to them before I shipped to be safe. This still didn’t guarantee they would work on it, but based on the pics they said it looked ok. The brown sprague capacitors were just starting to leak, but overall not too bad. They went through the rest of the amp and replaced about 8 other questionable components. There is a lot of info out there regarding these sprague caps in the mark IV’s. Not all mark IV’s have these bum caps (early serial number IV B’s i think???) so a quick look under the hood is probably needed. A quick forum search will help you identify these caps. If you have them, def get them out before it’s too late.

I don’t know if mike does any + mods to the IV or anything fun like that.

Here is how you get started if need be:

Rich Duvall/mesa tech support
[email protected]
707-789-3324

Great people and so helpful.

[email protected]

Mike's direct email address. He's usually very busy, but he's always answered my questions. As far as I know he is or was the Chief Service Tech at Petaluma (factory). Rumor several months ago is he will retire soon. Even if he does, I can't imagine a guy with his skills to completely quit working on the vintage Mesas. But who knows?

Have you ever recapped the power section of a MK? I've done both my IIC+ and MKI. Although it was not inordinately difficult for me (I've repaired and serviced vintage tube radios, and tube gear since I was a teen (1971)) when it came time to do one of my 92 MKIV Rev A's, I said the hell with it. I'm too damned old and don't have the patience. It's not something I do every day. The IV (small chassis) was just too packed for me to deal with. Call me an old troglodyte. I care not.

vY6k24F.jpg

There is no way I could recondition an old MKIV as quick and thorough as Mike Bendinelli. People can debate or obstinately disagree with me on this (no one will change my mind), Mike is THE absolute best on these old MK's. If you send him one chances are very, very good it will come back PERFECT. All mine have. I make $95/hr USD as a contract EE. There is no way in hell I could do a major reconditioning on one of these for what Mike Bendinelli/Mesa charges (labor charges, that is). Mike knows these old Mesas inside and out. Once he gets to yours he usually turns them quickly and the charges are very reasonable.

If you have an old Mesa MK (any iteration) I would be extremely hesitant to send it anywhere else (if you live in USA). I speak from experience when I say a number of the authorized Mesa Service centers are hacks that despise working on Mesas (they won't tell you that to your face). A number of them shouldn't be working on amps at all! Yes that sounds harsh and I've experienced the shoddy work from these clods myself. IM ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN there are some great non factory Mesa repair techs out there, but I've yet to meet them, and I'm not wasting my time searching them out.

Thanks El Ray.

I've got no doubt about your assessment of tech repair places that don't know or don't care what they're doing. This level of accepted incompetence these days is amazing.

My Mk4 has been used very little and at this point just sits in a closet. One day when I try using it again I'll hope I can get it serviced if necessary. From what I understand there aren't any magical mods that need doing (I hope). For now, I'll wait.

I had him go over my IVB. According to Mike, they used some capacitors for a period of time that turn out to leak after a while. The scary part is that if they begin leaking, Mesa likely won’t service it for you. Apparently it makes a mess of the board and Mike doesn’t want to deal w/ it anymore. I took several pics and sent to them before I shipped to be safe. This still didn’t guarantee they would work on it, but based on the pics they said it looked ok. The brown sprague capacitors were just starting to leak, but overall not too bad. They went through the rest of the amp and replaced about 8 other questionable components. There is a lot of info out there regarding these sprague caps in the mark IV’s. Not all mark IV’s have these bum caps (early serial number IV B’s i think???) so a quick look under the hood is probably needed. A quick forum search will help you identify these caps. If you have them, def get them out before it’s too late.

I don’t know if mike does any + mods to the IV or anything fun like that.

Here is how you get started if need be:

Rich Duvall/mesa tech support
[email protected]
707-789-3324

Great people and so helpful.
Thanks,

I'll definitely be careful before trying to use it again. At least going as far as looking up the capacitors.

Latest posts

Back