Mark III coupling caps and recommended service?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanScott80

Reaction score
A while back, I bought a mangled red stripe at a good price and have been working on getting it back up and running. One of the original filter caps had significant leakage, thankfully nothing that damaged the board. I replaced those and went through the trouble of pulling the PCB so I could have easier access to everything else. That wasn't fun, so I'd like to get all the recommended service items done while I have it torn apart. Other than replacing every electrolytic cap, which of the 715P orange drops should be upgraded from 400V to 630V? I know this is a common failure point on these amps, one of them already failed and was sloppily replaced by the previous owner's tech, who tried to tack solder the new cap to the leads of the original cap. I think there are six or seven caps rated at .1 uF, 400V, and five or six more that are .047uF, 400V. I don't want to start replacing everything unnecessarily, but I do want to get the ones that commonly fail. Can anyone tell me which caps are considered under-spec'd and recommended for replacement?

I'm also replacing the 680 ohm resistor that appears to have overheated at one point. Mesa recommends using a higher wattage resistor in this spot. Beyond that, is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Is it common to replace the tantalum capacitors on these?

A big thanks to whomever on the forum put together the layout and schematic for these amps, they're way better than what Mesa offers as documentation.

Attachments

• CP1G Red Stripe Layout.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CP1G Red Stripe Schematic.pdf
    162.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back