Mark IIC+ = Greatest AMP EVER!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelfatu

Reaction score
Guys,

I just want to say that I am the most happiest guy EVER. I recently received my Mark IIC+ from Mesa Boogie (got it serviced by Mike B) and had a chance to try it out today. I am SOO blown away by the tone of this AMP. Never have I heard such awesome crunch and rich distortation not to mention AWESOME cleans..... it really makes me want to sell my Road King II (I'm serious)..

For all the money I put into this (servicing), I am glad its finally "as stock as it can get" (according to Mike B)..

I feel like a million bucks..

Just thought I'd share my story =)

Nope sorry bud. The Mark IV IS THE GREATEST AMP EVER. I finally got the tone I been looking for so yeah....Mark IV's rule.

Glad to hear that the old amp is like new again. Everyone has a tone preference. I have owned both versions of the MkIV, and while they are great amps, they cannot exactly duplicate the C+. I A/B'd them with the C+ to see just how close I could get. They will come so close that if you weren't able to switch back and forth, you might not be able to tell them apart. One thing that I noticed is that the C+ is more touch sensitive and dynamic in the lead channel IMO. Power and output transformers, I guess.

fpoon said:
Nope sorry bud. The Mark IV IS THE GREATEST AMP EVER. I finally got the tone I been looking for so yeah....Mark IV's rule.

Sure, what ever you say.

For Sale:

1993 MK IVB. Better than a IIC+. Slays, owns, obliterates and destroys the C+.

Comes from a smoking home. Has broken tubes and a blown fuse. It still sounds better than a IIC+. I am 14, but it was owned by an adult at one time.

$ 4300 OBO. :D

Thinking about sending mine in for some routine service.

How much did the service cost and how long did it take? Is yours a simul class, EQ, Rev version? Did you request any special tweaks?

axelfatu said:
Guys,

I just want to say that I am the most happiest guy EVER. I recently received my Mark IIC+ from Mesa Boogie (got it serviced by Mike B) and had a chance to try it out today. I am SOO blown away by the tone of this AMP. Never have I heard such awesome crunch and rich distortation not to mention AWESOME cleans..... it really makes me want to sell my Road King II (I'm serious)..

For all the money I put into this (servicing), I am glad its finally "as stock as it can get" (according to Mike B)..

I feel like a million bucks..

Just thought I'd share my story =)

cander328 said:
Thinking about sending mine in for some routine service.

How much did the service cost and how long did it take? Is yours a simul class, EQ, Rev version? Did you request any special tweaks?

hey man, Mesa Boogie had it for a little over a month. I have the Simul class and EQ version.. I'll post pics later on.. I didn't request any special tweaks..

When I first got the amp, I had so much trouble getting gain, it was just not really activating at all... then I decided to get it serviced by a local MB tech in NJ (300 mile drive from Philly) and was told by this an "authorized Mesa Boogie tech" that it was a blues amp, not a metal one.. He did some servicing which costed me over $1000 after I had already bought the amp (explained in another thread)

I knew this was not true... I was so frustrasted that I called Boogie Service support and shipped it over and a MB tech by the name of Rich told me Mike B will take a look at it. He called me about 3 times to give me updates on what Mike found -- some mods and transistors were placed on there preventing the amp from switching the gain on (well it was low, flubby gain from what Rich told me). So Mike took them off, tweaked and the amp up as well.

This amp is just unbelievable.. god like tone.. just can't explain it.. I am so happy it makes me want to cry hahah

I'd give Boogie a call if you need it serviced..

Did you report the service center to M/B, cause that was one definately doesn't deserve to service mesa amps.

Boogiebabies said:
fpoon said:

Sure, what ever you say.

For Sale:

Comes from a smoking home. Has broken tubes and a blown fuse. It still sounds better than a IIC+. I am 14, but it was owned by an adult at one time.

Haha :D

The IIC+ is an amazing amp, but the Mark IV can be somewhat more modern or something like that, can't really describe it, more aggressive distortion when in pentode mode and with pushed in presence.

The IIC+ however is better for that smooth lead sound.

But the Mark IV can get very very close.

And the Mark IIC+ can't do some tricks the Mark IV does.

JOEY B. said:
Is this the same special edition "Boogiebabies" MkIV that has caught fire twice and has the "oh so cool" three piece speaker cone.

Send me some pics :lol:

No Joey,

This one caught fire four times cuz i'm a shredder and has the rare four piece speaker cone. It's very desirable and comes with a gray carpet covering.

It's PHAT !!!!

Since AART says it can do more trix than a C+, $ 4500 firm plus $ 250 to ship. :D

AART said:
Boogiebabies said:
fpoon said:

Sure, what ever you say.

For Sale:

Haha :D

The IIC+ is an amazing amp, but the Mark IV can be somewhat more modern or something like that, can't really describe it, more aggressive distortion when in pentode mode and with pushed in presence.

The IIC+ however is better for that smooth lead sound.

But the Mark IV can get very very close.

And the Mark IIC+ can't do some tricks the Mark IV does.

Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids.

You have it totally backwards. The MK IV is better for smoother leads. The IIC+ is in a class by itself. No offense, but no self respecting IIC+ owner would disagree. Especially those who have been chasing the dragon for 22 years. One persons "Close" is anothers unnacceptable. The evolution of the C+ to the III and IVA and B are variations on a theme. They sound different from each other and the next amp off the line regardelss. They are not the IIC+. The MK III would have to be Mesa's most consistent amp in build quality with the use of metal film resistors up to the Green Stripe. The series of stripes were an attempt to attain a former glory without regressing, or admitting the amp was not the IIC+ and lacked in multiple areas. The same mindset goes for the MK IIIC+ modification. Why would it be necessary if it was the same as the IIC+ anyway. The progression goes from bright and brash all the way to the smoother Green Stripe. Then, the MK IVA was introduced to quell a complaint of shared controls. Granted it was another variation of the C+ and MK III circuit, it sounded different from both it's predecessors.
It the product lifecycle of most Mesa's, the A was a blip. Even shorter than the C. With the introduction of the B, Mesa obviously hit a vein with not only their internal wants, but their consumers wants. By mid 1993 the B was off and running and it going on 14 years of consistent, unmodified production. It is in many peoples opinion, still a technologically advance and amazing amplifier. Even with the constant gripes over the shared R1 and R2, EQ, Mesa stood firm on it's nearly perfect design. The MK IV is the most refined Boogie ever. It should have it's own posistion in amplifier history instead of being compared to the IIC+. With the recent surge in MK IV popularity I don't forsee the inception of the MK V anytime soon. Even if it were to come out, I'm sure that the public would find some intrinsic fault that compares it unfavorably to the MK IV. There will be a MK V and I can assume it will have the Lone Star clean channel, the RK II Brit for the R2 and the current lead channel. All of these changes will probably be based around a different switching matrix involving .15 cent J175 transistors and few $ 3.00 relays instead of 20 $ 7.00 LDR's. With LDR's having a specific on resistance the new design will ultimately have to be altered to the much lower on resistance of the J175. The newest generation MK will be farther away from it's descendants than any other MK. The point? They all sound different for many reasons. You would be hard pressed to find two Boogie that sound identical off the production line yet alone two that are 15-22 years apart.

Boogiebabies said:
It the product lifecycle of most Mesa's, the A was a blip. Even shorter than the C.

Hi Boogiebabies!
The IVA has been produced for a longer time than the IIC (considering C and C+ together). But maybe you were thinking on how many amps were produced.

Mark IVA was produced during 4 years and around 4,000 amps were made (I don't know the serial number cutoff).
IIC/C+ were produced during 2 years and also around 4,000 amps were made.
Best regards
Daniel

Woow, that's a lot of reading for a sundaynight.

I guess your right, you own a lot of those things, i played one once for a few minutes.

I don't say that they sound identical, I just say that they come pretty close for most people.

And tricks, yeah, its what you're searching for ;). I don't use em, I only use the lead and clean channel, so a C+ would do fine too, but its more expensive and why change a winning team?

And there will allways be differences, even between Mark IIC+'s.

But they're all great amps, every single boogie.

BTW, boogiebabies, can you tell me please now wich one is smoother and darker? The A or the B? It gets confusing, everybody's telling different things. The R2 thing is clear to me, but i can't figure out the exact differences in the lead channel.

I allways thought that the A was more attempted to be modelled after the C+/III so it should be somewhat more raw and bright/more attack?
I also cut the highs alot with my A in the graphic than most b owners.
But is that right?

igfraso said:
Boogiebabies said:
It the product lifecycle of most Mesa's, the A was a blip. Even shorter than the C.

Hi Boogiebabies!
The IVA has been produced for a longer time than the IIC (considering C and C+ together). But maybe you were thinking on how many amps were produced.

Mark IVA was produced during 4 years and around 4,000 amps were made (I don't know the serial number cutoff).
IIC/C+ were produced during 2 years and also around 4,000 amps were made.
Best regards
Daniel

My IVA serial is 52xx
June '92(thought it was april but saw it was a june baby when I looked last week).
And I've seen A's going aorund 5500, so there could be more than 6000 of em maybe.

well, I owned a '91 4xxx(don't remember) and now I have this '92 522x.

They both were great, but the first had some troubles because a previous owner fucked it up. costed me €500 to fix it!

Traded that one for one without FS and reverb but cosmetically in good shape(the 91 had a lot of dents and the chassis was bent).

The MarkIV has been in producton longer than any of the other Mk series. I agree, Mesa is on to a winner. I just wish they would make a coliseum model with a progressive linkage power section. I preferred the EL-34's for Rh2, but liked all 6L6's for Rh1. The lead channel sounded mean no matter which ones were in the class-A sockets. BTW, as of last November, the going rate at Boogie for a cleaning, modify, repair, was $125.00 + parts. Then add shipping both ways. You will have to call Boogie and get a RA# before you ship it to them.

Latest posts

Back