LSS discontinued?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: It's still listed on their website.

The only bad things that I have seen with the LSS are:
Faulty 5Y3 - not really the amp's fault. I replaced it with an NOS GE and the problem was solved.

Faulty EL-84's - The idiots at the store did not remove the red plastic tube covers that Mesa ships their amps with. They burned on the tubes, causing premature failure.

Bias resistor for Class A should be a 5 watt, not a 1 watt. When the rectifier went south, it took the bias resistor with it. I replaced it with a 5 watt and problem solved.

Really, very simple issues.
Murph, having owned both, I would say that the Blue Angel just flat out sings. I never used the different wattage settings with the LSS. Didn't like what they did for the tone.

My Blue Angel hissed like a pissed off cobra though. A lot of guys state that theirs don't, so maybe mine needed tubes.

SabuJSE said:

Change the tubes - Mesa stock tubes, as has already been pointed out, are bleh at best.

Not a LSS owner, but frankly, the problem is not all that big of a deal to get around. IMHO if you want it get it and stick in a vintage old stock rec tube or get Mesa to do the mod. If one has the coin to pull the trigger on one than it's not that big a deal to do it right. Peace.

One year, 30 gigs or so, many rehearsals and no problems. 1x12 does fine with my band volume-wise. These guys refuse to mike my amp and other than some coverage issues the 30 watt setting holds it's own.

I've had an LSS since April 05. The only problem I had was one Russian rectifier tube go south aftr about 6 months. I'm using a NOS JAN Phillips that has performed without a hitch for the rest of the time.

I gig at least once per weekend and practice one might per week--so it's on at least 10 hrs per week. I usually run both channels at 15W to get tube saturation, and I like the sag fom the rectifier. I do kick it up to 30W for outdoor gigs if not miked.

I don't think the amp is any less reliable than any other, but the rectifier tube is at the limit of it's capability running 15W. The Russian rectifier tubes just don't seem up to the job, but NOS seem to do fine.

You know,...all of these positive affirmations are great to hear. It would be great to have a thread of these to read through occaisionally. I'm going out this weekend on a two nighter at a bike rally. I was thinking of taking only the Rivera V-6, and not the LSS. I ussually play through the two. But now I'm charged up. I'm taking them both, just like always. I'm glad I logged on tonite, you guys pulled me out of a fumk i was sinking into...thanks....

The other thing that I often take for granted about the LSS and the LSC amps is the inherent reliability that Mesa builds into their amps.

I mean, think about...what other amp have you owned that is built with a back up (second) rectifier so if and when the tube rectifier tanks, you can simply switch to 30 watts (LSS) and finish the gig..??? !!!

Sometimes, when I come to my senses, I have to wonder why I even LOOK at other amps...Mesa's are awesome!

Latest posts

Back