Lonestar Special and Barber LTD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris F

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the Barber Electronics LTD or LTD SR with their Lonestar Special (or classic)???

Cheers,
CF

I'm gonna gig with the LTD LSC tonight, so I'll have a better report after that - but for now I can say I'm very very impressed. I can dial in

1) the perfect clean sound on channel 1,

2)use the LTD in front of channel 1 for SRV-type breakup (think fat/clean strat neck pickup with lots of hair & personality)

3)dedicate channel 2 for liquid violin-like gain

I'll try and record a sample too.

Maury

PS- I also have a Barber tone press in the chain too.

Great info, thanks! Look forward to some soundclips. I was wanting to use a pedal on the clean channel to 'dirty up' some rhythm tone (like Hendrixy stuff, Little Wing and Axis), and SRV, so this seems like a good one for that.

Thanks,
Chris

I was wanting to use a pedal on the clean channel to 'dirty up' some rhythm tone (like Hendrixy stuff, Little Wing and Axis), and SRV, so this seems like a good one for that.

MAJOR understatement! :) This pedal should be called "the barber Hendrixy stuff, Little Wing and SRV".

Hi Maurey,

do you have the LTD or LTD SR?? I am torn between the two. They say the SR is excellent if you want to retain the amp/guitar sound, whereas the LTD has a tad bit more colouration. A bit tonal flexibility wouldn't be bad as long as there is no major mid-hump. What's your experience with the LTD you have?

Thanks for yout input, great stuff!

Chris

I have the regular LTD. To me it sounds very open with no extra midrange that I can hear.

Oh man did it sound great at the gig! On the neck & middle pups (duncan cool rails HB and lil 59 HB) it was so sweet and snappy with just a touch of attitude in the top-end. On the bridge pup (dimarzio super distortion) it really barked, but stayed warm and round.

I thought I loved my LSC before but these 2 together really made me play nice tonight.

Thank you Maurey,

now I know what to get myself for Christmas. I'm sure my Lonestar Special and Strat with Texas Special pickups will shine through that little black box.

How does the hotrails work for you?

Chris

Yeah I can imagine this LTD would work very well in front of the LSS!

Sorry, did I say hot rails? I meant cool rails. I like the cool rails now - since I put it in the neck position. Never liked it in the bridge - way too bright and thin... but I don't like any single-coil tones there... I need buckers. When dialing in my tone I like to err on the side of warm & thick.

I thought I'd have time to record a quick sample at the gig but no luck. To help you get an idea what I'm getting from this pedal, check out the LTD Axis (Jimi style) clip from Barber's website:

http://barberelectronics.com/sounds.html

Its really close to what I'm hearing out of my rig. That's the clip that made me want to have this pedal, and it sounds just like its advertised!

The LTD is one of the best pedals out there. I have the PC mod and its well worth the money cause I got bored with the stock v1 and its mid hump. Now I can dial in the more transparent sound or go for many other tones. The v2 is said to have less mids than the v1. I don't know if they offer the PC mod on the SR. Something to consider for a down the road upgrade. Cause I also did the mod to my Direct Drive and have been lovin it ever since.

With your LTD's on channel 1, what are you using for heavier rhythm? I just got Channel 2 set up how I want it, but without a drive switch on the footswitch, I was thinking that I would use Channel one for this as well. So that would mean Channel 1 clean, Channel 1 Barber LTD, and then TS or something like it (I have the mojodrive). Looking forward to your responses :)

I got a Barber LTD (I believe its v1 as it is made in 2004) a few weeks ago, and run it through Ch1 on the Lonestar. I haven't been bothered by any noticeable mid-hump and find it to be a superb low-gain drive. I liked the LTD so much that I ordered the Direct Drive as well (new). I also use a Tim, and I find the Tim and the LTD to really complement each other, adding versatility to the LSS... Also, the LTG and Tim stack really nicely.

I just started using the Silver LTD this weekend, and really like it. On a crystal clean amp, the vol at 9, tone at 1, and drive at 1 sound perfect. I was A/B against a mojo drive, but the LTD sounds more naturdal

It seems to me like the LTD and LSC were made to be together. A perfect match for sure. I have an SR.

Be sure to try out the Silver as wellIF you run into one. I was reading on the Barber Shop forum and it was mention from Dave Barber himself that one of the three types was going to be discontinued and it was most likely the Silver.

Get 'em while you still can.

Latest posts

Back