EL84 in Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Hi,

I've seen it mentioned on here before that it's possible to use EL84 tubes in the classic if you use yellow jackets. Presuming this is true, how close to the special does it get?

Both amps have the same same preamp section, so the only difference would be the power section. Obviously a 100 watt transformer would give it a different sound than a 30 watt transformer.

Other than that, how close do they sound with EL84's in the classic? Does it have that lovely chiming top end the special has or is it different?

Cheers

Not much info around with that... maybe you've seen this one?

LSC with Yellowjackets

Yea the el84s are indeed a different deal. Do actually like my LSS preamp into the V:90 6L6 power section @ 90W, but it's certainly more dense and fat vs the native el84s. The LSS is a bit darker with a more spongy feel and yea that top end chime. Maybe trying a different cab/speaker would be a possible approach?

Not much info around with that... maybe you've seen this one?

LSC with Yellowjackets

Yea the el84s are indeed a different deal. Do actually like my LSS preamp into the V:90 6L6 power section @ 90W, but it's certainly more dense and fat vs the native el84s. The LSS is a bit darker with a more spongy feel and yea that top end chime. Maybe trying a different cab/speaker would be a possible approach?
Hi,

Yes, I seen it on that thread and a few others. Have you tried this or just tried the Lss through a 6l6 power section?

I've owned both before but considering a classic again. Always loved that chime from the special though.

Oh good... IIRC there was some mention of yellowjackets with some posts here too.

Well I've only had the LSS. The headroom and pedal response of the 90W 6L6 power section was certainly apparent. If that setup is a close approximation to a LSC, each certainly has a different vibe. Hard call.

Since I run an GEQ in the loop that provides a bit more tonal tailoring of the upper end, adding a compressor helps, plus one of the cabs is a 2x12 v30 + Scumback M75 that has alot of native chime.

Back