JUST PLAYED A MINI RECTIFIER!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noodles said:
If you don't live in a single family home, the you can't get the master above one on ch2/modern without pissing off all of your neighbors. It drives a 4x12 just fine. :lol:

The best sound I've gotten with the Mini is with a 4x12 Rectifier. I have to correct my post from a while back... I thought it was the 4x12 Stiletto I tried it with, but it wasn't. It was a 4x12 Rec and that's what we'll be using for our comparison video tonight.

I still want to try two Mini's on a 4x12, dialed in differently, each one plugged into half of the 4x12. Come On! That has to be sweet!

HaggertysMusic said:
noodles said:
If you don't live in a single family home, the you can't get the master above one on ch2/modern without pissing off all of your neighbors. It drives a 4x12 just fine. :lol:

The best sound I've gotten with the Mini is with a 4x12 Rectifier. I have to correct my post from a while back... I thought it was the 4x12 Stiletto I tried it with, but it wasn't. It was a 4x12 Rec and that's what we'll be using for our comparison video tonight.

I still want to try two Mini's on a 4x12, dialed in differently, each one plugged into half of the 4x12. Come On! That has to be sweet!

Any chance you can plug into a 2x12 rectifier and let us know what you think?? I really don't have the room for a 4x12, so I'm looking at the horizonal 2x12 rectifier.

Thanks

HaggertysMusic said:

My buddy (siggy14) and I went back and forth between a standard and oversized, and we both preferred the standard. The mids just sound better, especially when you're in ch1/pushed and are really opening the gain up. The oversized is really nice for that wall of sound, though, and I always like Devin Townsend's approach of running his Triple into a 3/4 stack.

Someone on another board suggested I get six mini halfstacks and compare it to a Triple. :lol:

biglionfan111 said:
Any chance you can plug into a 2x12 rectifier and let us know what you think?? I really don't have the room for a 4x12, so I'm looking at the horizonal 2x12 rectifier.

It sounded fine through the vert 2x12 I played it through on Saturday. That was an F or DC series cab, and not a Recto, though. It was still closed back and V30s, and I'm not sure of the difference in interior dimensions, but it sounded similar to a traditional 4x12. More mids, though.

biglionfan111 said:
HaggertysMusic said:
noodles said:

Thanks

It is great to turn the horizontal 2 x 12 cabs on end. You end up with a mini fullstack that way!!

JTFischer337 said:
Does the Mini Rect buzz, hum, or hiss like some other Mesa amps?

mine is very quiet. None Of the the TA-15 hssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Dave the DC 2x12 I have that you played through is basically a rectifier 2x12, it is same as a rect vert 2x12 in every way except the badge and of course mine has the grey tolex.

noodles said:
biglionfan111 said:

It sounded fine through the vert 2x12 I played it through on Saturday. That was an F or DC series cab, and not a Recto, though. It was still closed back and V30s, and I'm not sure of the difference in interior dimensions, but it sounded similar to a traditional 4x12. More mids, though.

Dave you mean Traditional and oversized which is considered the standard. I hate that mesa did it that way originally, you think standard and you think what every other cab company does.

Actually I liked them both the same, just depends on what music I am playing, for rock it would be the traditional, for hard rock it would be the oversized.

noodles said:
HaggertysMusic said:

My buddy (siggy14) and I went back and forth between a standard and oversized, and we both preferred the standard. The mids just sound better, especially when you're in ch1/pushed and are really opening the gain up. The oversized is really nice for that wall of sound, though, and I always like Devin Townsend's approach of running his Triple into a 3/4 stack.

Someone on another board suggested I get six mini halfstacks and compare it to a Triple. :lol:

Just to echo everyone else, great demo Don, many thanks! Before I watched it I'd been considering buying a TA-30 head to "big brother" for my TA-15... but now I want a Mini Rectifier, badly.

If I could ask: how does it respond with strat-style single-coils, specifically with the clean channel 1 and the vintage mode on channel 2?

Sebber said:
Just to echo everyone else, great demo Don, many thanks! Before I watched it I'd been considering buying a TA-30 head to "big brother" for my TA-15... but now I want a Mini Rectifier, badly.

If I could ask: how does it respond with strat-style single-coils, specifically with the clean channel 1 and the vintage mode on channel 2?

very nicely. I will compare it to your TA-15 since I had one of those too.

Channel one is MUCH more dynamic than on the TA. Cranking the gain on the clean side of channel one, even in 10 watt mode, you do not get much break up. Very clean especailly with single coils. The presence along with the three band eq offer much more variety than the TA. I keep the gain at 12 and it is very clean even with humbuckers. The EQ can provide great variation of tone. Switch it to pushed mode and it is a different story. With single coils and the gain maxed you get some great break up, dial back the volume of the guitar and it cleans up nicely. with the gain pushed in this setting, I can almost replicate channel 2.s vintage mode.

For vintage with channel 2, keep the gain at noon and it sounds like a TA but with more flexability. The gain is much more tight, not as muddy when cranked on the TA. Do not get me wrong, the TA was great for classic rock, but lost a bit for the higher gain stuff. This to me was most aparent when palm muting the open low E. (Think of PARANOID and Whole Lotta love here) Switch it to modern and watch out. Even more gain and more of a recto tone.

I sold my TA and now just have the recto. In my mind it is much more versitile.

dmraco said:
Sebber said:

Channel one is MUCH more dynamic than on the TA. Cranking the gain on the clean side of channel one, even in 10 watt mode, you do not get much break up. Very clean especailly with single coils. The presence along with the three band eq offer much more variety than the TA. I keep the gain at 12 and it is very clean even with humbuckers. The EQ can provide great variation of tone. Switch it to pushed mode and it is a different story. With single coils and the gain maxed you get some great break up, dial back the volume of the guitar and it cleans up nicely. with the gain pushed in this setting, I can almost replicate channel 2.s vintage mode.

For vintage with channel 2, keep the gain at noon and it sounds like a TA but with more flexability. The gain is much more tight, not as muddy when cranked on the TA. Do not get me wrong, the TA was great for classic rock, but lost a bit for the higher gain stuff. This to me was most aparent when palm muting the open low E. (Think of PARANOID and Whole Lotta love here) Switch it to modern and watch out. Even more gain and more of a recto tone.

I agree 100% with your comments :D

Cant wait to hear the mini vs recto tone @ high gain.

Just wish someone would buy my Rectoverb from me....

dmraco said:
Sebber said:

Thanks dmraco, based on your response I'm going to have to check the Mini Rec out. I would like something that handles the out-and-out rock stuff a bit better, I play blues mostly, but the bands I'm playing in have gone from being blues/classic rock covers acts to doing more contemporary stuff. I'd also love to have another, different, "lunchbox" amp so I can mix it up a bit for variation and also to act as backup for each other should anything ever go wrong. The convenience of the TA-15, as well as the quality vintage tones, makes me want another one, a TA-30 head instead perhaps... but then, why go for the same when you can now go for different?

just watched the new demo, thanks Dave!

To me the mini sounded better than the dual on the cleans and I personally couldnt tell a difference in modern.

The difference being, I could actually get some tone out of a mini in my basement and not piss off the wife and make the kids cry. Not quite the same with my rectoverb right now with the output turned right down...

... now, I need to come up with $1800 :(

Just bought my first Mesa Boogie, the Mini Rec 8) Haven't bought a cabinet for it, looks like the 2x12 is the way to go. Is there a video with a comparison between it and the mini 1x12? I like the idea if I do go with a bigger head later down the road it can handle it.

Latest posts

Back