JUST PLAYED A MINI RECTIFIER!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zaboaa said:
Just bought my first Mesa Boogie, the Mini Rec 8) Haven't bought a cabinet for it, looks like the 2x12 is the way to go. Is there a video with a comparison between it and the mini 1x12? I like the idea if I do go with a bigger head later down the road it can handle it.

Trust me, go with the 2x12 Rec. It's just slightly more money but has a lot bigger tone, and yes, it will work much better with any full size head you buy down the road.

YellowJacket said:
A mini Recto + 2 x 12 = mini recto 'fullstack'!!!

i too like the thought and sound of a 2x12....they are just so BIG! I have an ORANGE 2x12 closed back cab. Thing must weight 75-100lbs and is really hard to move by your self. It never leaves the house. My AVATAR 1x12 gets all the road work.

dmraco said:
YellowJacket said:
A mini Recto + 2 x 12 = mini recto 'fullstack'!!!

i too like the thought and sound of a 2x12....they are just so BIG! I have an ORANGE 2x12 closed back cab. Thing must weight 75-100lbs and is really hard to move by your self. It never leaves the house. My AVATAR 1x12 gets all the road work.

HA!! I remember hoofing a Recto Standard 4 x 12 with side armour out of the basement for every show. Here I was thinking downsizing from a halfstack (125lb cab) to an oversized 2 x 12 (75lb cab) was 'downsizing'. I'm not quite convinced to go to a 2 x 12 yet, but the thought of a 1 x 12 Electra Dyne cab is kind of appealing.

Woot.

Dual New Amp Day (ish). I got a note from my shop that my Mini Rectifier came in a my Orange TH30 head! I was so busy at work and getting the kids ready for Halloween that I wasn't able to go pick them up. Hopefully tomorrow :!: :!: :!:

HaggertysMusic said:
Trust me, go with the 2x12 Rec. It's just slightly more money but has a lot bigger tone, and yes, it will work much better with any full size head you buy down the road.

I agree. :)

Jacko123 said:
Woot.

Dual New Amp Day (ish). I got a note from my shop that my Mini Rectifier came in a my Orange TH30 head! I was so busy at work and getting the kids ready for Halloween that I wasn't able to go pick them up. Hopefully tomorrow :!: :!: :!:

wow...you got both!!!! :twisted:
Those were the two I was thinking of. I love the ORANGE tone. I was playing a mini recto back to back with an Orange Dual terror...tone was similar with channel 2 vintage. I decided on the Mesa.

Let us know how the TH30 stacks up.

I know the new mesa preamp tubes are relabeled JJs, but what about the EL84 tubes? are they relabeled Sovtek or EH?

GuitarGuy503 said:
HaggertysMusic said:

I agree. :)

I have an AVATAR 1x12 closed back and an Orange 2x12 closed back. I will try to capture the tonal differences....

pegagos said:
I know the new mesa preamp tubes are relabeled JJs, but what about the EL84 tubes? are they relabeled Sovtek or EH?

AFAIK Mesa still purchases all their preamp tubes from Ruby.

Just watched the Haggerty's Mini rec video and the comparison between the the Mini and dual. Those are GREAT! The mini seems like a good amp, but the dual definitely has a lot more low end punch. To me this is typical of EL84 amps - no guts.

I am considering a mini for home use, but would like to run the preamp into the power amp of my Electradyne or 50:50 for live. I wonder how that would sound. Has anyone done anything like that?

Hey guys. I haven't read the manual yet, shame on me, but do you guys notice a noticeable (huge?) volume jump when going from Vintage to Modern? The volume difference is significant.

elvis said:
Just watched the Haggerty's Mini rec video and the comparison between the the Mini and dual. Those are GREAT! The mini seems like a good amp, but the dual definitely has a lot more low end punch. To me this is typical of EL84 amps - no guts.

I am considering a mini for home use, but would like to run the preamp into the power amp of my Electradyne or 50:50 for live. I wonder how that would sound. Has anyone done anything like that?

Thanks for the compliment! Interesting idea about running the preamp out to another amp. I'm sure it would work quite well, but don't forget to put a dummy load on the Mini's speaker outs.

Jacko123 said:
Hey guys. I haven't read the manual yet, shame on me, but do you guys notice a noticeable (huge?) volume jump when going from Vintage to Modern? The volume difference is significant.

Yes, that's completely normal and is consistent across the entire Rectifier line.

Jacko123 said:

Normal...but annoying. It is a HUGE jump. If going to vintage to modern I have to adjust the volume down about 1.5 positions to normalize.

The good news in the tone rocks. I had the modern setting in the 10 watt mode, gain about 2PM, EQs at 12 and presence at 10. Grabbed by Les Paul DC with some P-90s and cranked it up to jam some TOOL...THE POT. OMG :twisted: My ears still hurt...volume was only at about 8-9....

I am really impressed with the PRESENCE knob. Compared to the TA-15, this thing really can shape the tone. There is a considerable shape change from the 10-2 range. I only find myself rarely adjusting the EQ and using the presence to create tonal variety.

Don, as so many others have said....Great Job on demoing this amp!!

I am very impressed with it based on your video. I have not had the opportunity to try it in person yet. Admittedly, the Recto series (in general) has not been my preferred choice based on the type of music that I play in my band. However, I am loving the sounds that you are achieving with this amp with the clean channel (both modes) and the vintage mode of Ch2. I also really like how aggressive the amp can sound in either mode of Ch2.

That being said, you have mentioned that you recommend a MB 212 or 412 recto cab with this amp. Do you feel like people such as me that really like the sounds coming from your demo would be disappointed with the mini recto 112 cab series? Yes, I do like the hard hitting sounds of the Recto series. I once owned a RK not too long ago. However, I also like the idea of smaller cabs that are easier to transport.

If you get a chance, would you please do a mini recto comparison between the mini 112 cabs and the 212 / 412 recto cabs as a comparison? It would be very valuable for me.

Once again, great job, and I am thinking this new mini Recto may be my newest addition to my MB amplifier collection!! :D

I have a TA15 and love it ,but I am considering picking up a mini rectifier and use both amps with an A/B/C switching set-up.

What does everyone think? Good combination of sounds and flexibiity?.

PS I am running the TA thorugh a 1x12 open back (C90) and a 1x12 Thiele (EVM). Probably do the same for the mini-recto.

Think these things will drop below the $999 anytime soon?

Latest posts

Back