Home-made mods on the MK III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btown

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

just wondering how many people have tried doing the R2 volume mod to their MK III at home. The process seems pretty simple: just replace R130 with a audio pot, right? If it is so simple, can I do it myself and save the $200 plus shipping it would cost to send it to Mesa?

Also, has anybody done the reverb mod? I found this on a different board:

Just as a follow-up to my earlier post- Having recieved no reply from Mesa Boogie (remember I live in Australia and have to rely on their email service) I spent several hours trawling the net and eventually came across a posting in a user group almost a decade old. This included the official Mesa fix for the mark III reverb glitch and it is very simple- a 120K resistor soldered between the red lead of the reverb transformer (5 leads of varying colours come out) and ground (I soldered to the earth lug of the reverb send RCA jack-the one with the black wire soldered to it). Total time- 10 minutes including removing and replacing the chassis. Total cost 15 cents

Comments?

Yep, it an easy mod. If you can solder, that's about the only skill it requires. I never used the DIRECT OUT knob/stuff so I carefully removed it intact, in case I need to put it back someday, and placed a 250K audio taper pot in it's place. I'm sooo glad I did it. Now I have a 3 channel amp I can set up just by balancing the clean and R2 with the new knob.

Here's an explanation of what I did using JOEY707's instructions. He also sent me some photo's. If you need them, let me know.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1028&highlight=mod

thanks vca...

so if you can move the pot controlling the R2 volume to the hole where the direct out used to go, can you put another pot controlling the r2 gain in the other hole? I remember reading that you can either get a R2 gain or volume control mod in place of the direct out...can you have both?

Hope that makes sense.

Joe

vcamargo99 said:
Yep, it an easy mod. If you can solder, that's about the only skill it requires. I never used the DIRECT OUT knob/stuff so I carefully removed it intact, in case I need to put it back someday, and placed a 250K audio taper pot in it's place. I'm sooo glad I did it. Now I have a 3 channel amp I can set up just by balancing the clean and R2 with the new knob.

Here's an explanation of what I did using JOEY707's instructions. He also sent me some photo's. If you need them, let me know.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1028&highlight=mod
hello,, can i get a pic of that please. i have a purple stripe short head that could use that :wink:

thanks,
MOSH ON
DAVE

Back