Holy power amp distortion Batman

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Wow,

Got to messing around with the Mark IV this morning and tried the following

Class A
Triode
Tweed
R1
Output Level 8
R1 Gain 10
R1 Treble 7
R1 bass 3
R1 mid 4
R1 Master 3 <--- Anything over this is simply adding distortion

I realize I have the R1 Gain, pegged, but at low volumes even with the r1 gain pegged it is clean.

Gets a kick *** AC/DC crunch. I gotta throw some EL34's in there!

Someday I may get a Mark V, but no way do I trade this amp to get it!

Turning the preamp on RHY1 up full whack makes a superb tone, just gets better the louder it gets. I remember getting it cranked up to 7 on the master in a very small room once, killer tone but killed my ears for the rest of the day :)

It reminds me quite a lot of my old Subway Rocket - if you turned the clean channel gain up to full and stuffed the EQs up to 10 as well it pushed a sweet overdrive which, again, got better the louder it was. Great with a boost pedal in front, too.

This works with a Mark III as well. Crank the R1, eff the foot switching, eff the un-needed $200 "boost" pedals. Too bad the "gainiacs" will never appreciate this. :D

It kicks.

Wife and daughter are out and I got to let it rip a bit some more.

One thing that really works out well that I'm sure will also work on a Mark III.

Again, using all the low power settings so the volume isn't as bad (triode, class A, tweed)

I took the lead channel, set the gain lower then I would normally like, and keeping the Output at 8 again, I cranked the lead channel output till it gave me the right amount of gain. It was a killer mix of the preamp and poweramp distortion.

Now I have to try it with EL34, and I can now justify a hotplate, just to bring down the volume a little.

R1 dimed is indeed a great sound. Don't be afraid to crank the channel master too. I like playing my MKIV with my Soldano cab (150 watts, 2x75watt Eminence Legends speakers in it) with R1 dimed... channel, master output at 10, set the gain to about 8 or 9. Lethal tone, just lethal. You could use it as a metal tone, almost. It's super responsive and crunchy as all hell. This was likely with full power, class A, pentode. I never play in tweed mode, sounds wrong to me.

That lead channel setting you have also sounds killer 8)
Try getting some big-bottle EL34s, they sound great.

frankly, the IIC+ sounds awesome this way as well... esp with an attenuator and Greebacks! totally different experience than the lead channel!

R1 is my favorite Mark IV channel. It's sooo sweet. I rarely have the opportunity to really crank it.

I've got a 50W Weber MiniMass that I use occasionally with my DC. Do you think it would be safe to to use that with a Mark IV in Class A/Triode/Tweed? I'm assuming that's about 15w or so. I'd love to try it, but I don't want to take out my Tranny to figure out if it works.

primal said:
Wow,

Class A
Triode
Tweed
R1
Output Level 8
R1 Gain 10
R1 Treble 7
R1 bass 3
R1 mid 4

I realize I have the R1 Gain, pegged, but at low volumes even with the r1 gain pegged it is clean.

If you like the quality of tone you are getting with the Mark IV, don't expect to get replicate this with the Mark V. I have both, and the V just won't do it.

Steve

steve_k said:
primal said:
Wow,

Class A
Triode
Tweed
R1
Output Level 8
R1 Gain 10
R1 Treble 7
R1 bass 3
R1 mid 4

If you like the quality of tone you are getting with the Mark IV, don't expect to get replicate this with the Mark V. I have both, and the V just won't do it.

Steve

I find the IV to be a little fatter sounding, while the V seems quite a bit tighter. What is it about the IV that you feel the V can't replicate?

Scary said:
steve_k said:
primal said:
Wow,

Class A
Triode
Tweed
R1
Output Level 8
R1 Gain 10
R1 Treble 7
R1 bass 3
R1 mid 4

Steve

I find the IV to be a little fatter sounding, while the V seems quite a bit tighter. What is it about the IV that you feel the V can't replicate?

Just what you mentioned. I am having a very tough time keeping it fat on the Mark IV settings and Mark IIC_ settings of Ch3, while keeping Ch. 1 from being to farty and flabby. Whereas, with the IV, it is not a problem. All tubes are stock Mesa's in the V though. It may be in there somewhere, but I haven't found the tone yet. The V seems to be able to zero in on "acceptable" tones for Ch. 2 though and on Channel 3, as long as that is where you are staying. The Mark IV, and III just seem to be much more open.

Steve

Latest posts

Back