First Attempt at Recording my Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

Reaction score
Well, I decided to try to record my new Mark IV for the first time to see how it would sound. Admittedly I'm a bit of a newbie at digital recording so don't really know what I'm doing but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

I've never really been a huge Dream Theater fan but have been listening to them more since I decided to get the Mark. So, it made sense to take a stab at doing one of their songs. It's pretty rough and I didn't really try to nail the song perfectly but I was just trying to capture the feel.

Anyway here it is. Let me know what you think.

Forsaken... kinda

Thanks. It sounds MUCH better before the mp3 compression of course.

To record I used a SM57->Prosonus FireBox->Sonar 6. It's a simple setup but that's all I have. I ran the Mark IV into my Marshall cab and close miked one of the Governor speakers. I can't wait for my Mesa cab for it. It wasn't running all that loud and, unfortunately, the leads were recorded very quietly because the baby was sleeping nearby. I'm sure they would have sounded thicker otherwise.

newfinator said:
Thanks. It sounds MUCH better before the mp3 compression of course.

To record I used a SM57->Prosonus FireBox->Sonar 6. It's a simple setup but that's all I have.

I use pretty much the same thing, except that I have a Studio Projects VTB 1 preamp and I also have a Sennheisser e609 as well as the 57.

How do you find the e609? I thought of picking one up for miking a second amp or different cab to mix with the SM57.

Sounds Killer!!!!!!!!

All of the amp simulators today crack me up (pod, J station, etc) they really don't sound anything like a cranked amp ever.

hey newfinator, the guitar sounds really good, nice job. Hey how much gain and lead drive were you using for this recording, sounds killer; i'm impressed. :wink: :!: :!:

Thanks for listening.

The Mark was setup with lead gain at 8 and lead drive at 9. I'm one of those guys that quickly sets up an amp to something they like and then pretty much never touches it. I have a feeling that this things hold lots of other tones that I'd be equally, if not more, pleased with but either way I'm still getting the best sounds I've ever had and without really trying. I'm so glad that I didn't get the Road King II I was thinking about... ..yet

Sounds great!

I record a LOT of my stuff at bedroom levels and I seem to be about the only person on here or anywhere for that matter that likes the sound of my guitar recorded at low levels.

I have recorded stuff with my amps cranked but I always seem to prefer to record at lowish volume.

I must be doing something wrong :roll:

Sounds great newfinator!
Dang! now your making me wish i did not sell my Mark IV.
I might just have to get another one.

8)

Thanks for all the nice comments.

A few months ago when I was having a hard time deciding between the Mark IV and Road King II I went looking for clips to get a sense of the potential of each. I found some fantastic sounding clips of the Mark on netmusicians.org. I noticed that some of the best came from single user which, as it turns out, was gibson5413. Thanks for the unintentional guidance :D

excellent cover! can you please send me the backing track?
pm me please:)

btw, what cab did you use for this recording?

EirikBrandal said:
I can't understand why petrucci used a rectifier on that song.. sounds much better with a mark

I don't know where you heard/read that, but from what I've read, it was all Mark IV on Systematic Chaos. [interview was in Guitar Player]

mr.sku11 said:
EirikBrandal said:
I can't understand why petrucci used a rectifier on that song.. sounds much better with a mark

I don't know where you heard/read that, but from what I've read, it was all Mark IV on Systematic Chaos. [interview was in Guitar Player]

that, and the lonestar on repentance

Edit:
but now I can't find where I read it. but anyway, his tone on forsaken isn't cool, whatever amp he used

Latest posts

Back