Ethical Question for Lonestar Owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
My friend wants to trade his LSS for my LSC.

Mine is the 1x12 combo in Wine Red Taurus.

His is the 1x12 combo in Cocoa Levant.

I really like the Wine color, but it is much larger than the LSS cab.

Would you just swap chassis?

I don't think there is much different with a wide body and a normal ones for open back. For closed back or 2x12 then there will be big differences.

I'd say that if swapping chassis' will work, and your friend is up for it, then do it! You will have the tone and the look that you are after, and so will your friend! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Richt :D

I'm actually thinking that the larger cabinet will sound larger. I have noticed this with other cabinets.

I had a Rectoverb combo cab that I turned into an extension cab. It was exactly the same size as the LSC cab.

When compared right next to my 1x12 3/4 back Mesa cab, both with C-90's, the Rectoverb cab sounded much bigger.

I'm thinking that I should try them both tonight.

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm actually thinking that the larger cabinet will sound larger. I have noticed this with other cabinets.

I had a Rectoverb combo cab that I turned into an extension cab. It was exactly the same size as the LSC cab.

When compared right next to my 1x12 3/4 back Mesa cab, both with C-90's, the Rectoverb cab sounded much bigger.

I'm thinking that I should try them both tonight.

i've got two LSC's, one in the stock "oversized" 1x12 cab & the other in a LSS cab.

The stock cab has much more bass to it, too much sometimes, especially if you're running 6L6's. W/EL34's in it, the gain channel sounds great, almost like a 4x12, though the clean channel loses a little sweetness.

The LSS cab is probably the better config overall w/6L6's: more focused bass & chimey cleans. (plus it's a little more portable.)

peace.

Just to say, there is no "ethical" problem as long as both parties agree to the cab swap. Personally, I'd rather have the LSC in the LSS cab just from a "dragging it around" standpoint. I was thinking of ordering a custom LSS size cab for my LSC before I found a LSC short head on ebay.

Just for giggles I put my F-30 chassis in my LSC cab to see what would happen. The sucker sounded huge! The cleans sounded incredible, and the boxy nasal sound was gone from the gain channel. It wasn't an exact fit so it had to go back, but I can only imagine what the LSS/LSC swap would sound like.

:D :D :D :D The LSS sounded so good in it's cabinet, that I forgot all about trying it in the LSC cab.

I do have a jumper cable that I use to test amps while they are on the bench. It would have been easy to try the amp with the other cab.

In the end, although I had just received the LSC the day before, I ended up trading for the LSS. The breakup is much nicer, and I can get beautiful tones at extremely low volumes.

If I do start gigging again, I will eventually get the LSC head if the LSS is too small. I have a Lonestar 2x12 cab already that my Heartbreaker sits on.

Thanks for all the input guys.

just get a 1/4 coupling and ad a longer cable to the speakers, that way you can listen to each head through each cab with out any tools or disassembly. I am sure you can get the adapter at radio shack.

I have a long one that I made to help me work on combo amps.

In the end, I went for the LSS just the way it was. I liked the tone so much that I didn't even care if it wasn't the color I originally wanted.

The smaller cab is great too, because it's lighter and fits in a tighter corner.

Latest posts

Back