best cab for the mk iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatoni

Reaction score
should i buy a mesa 112 widebody or an avatar g212h closed back with vintage 30s (or something) to run my mkiv head through?

I've found the Mark IV sounds best with either a horizontal 2x12 recto, or a 1x12 if you're just using one cab. If you have two cabs going, then pretty much anything will sound sweet.

I run a 3/4 stack with the MKIV and it sounds bone-crushing.

My Earcandy Sovereign sounds amazing with my Mark IV. I also have an Avatar 2x12 with Celestion Century Neo and Century Vintage Neo speakers. My 3/8 stack rocks. I'd put my Sovereign up against a Thiele any day of the week. The build quality of my Avatar is rock solid. The tolex is perfect and the joinery is as well. The only problem I've had with it is a speaker jack falling apart but it was a Switchcraft jack so it's not like it was crap. The build quality of Earcandy cabs is second to none (including Mesa). The customer support for both companies is great as well. One of my speakers was missing its back label for some reason and Dave at Avatar got me 2 new ones from England (the Centuries are still made there) as well as a free T-shirt. Tim at Earcandy forgot to send my grill cloth with my cab and second day aired it to me. He really knows his stuff too and the materials he uses are pheneomenal.

I would say the old school vertical 2x12 halfback like eltrain or a thiele. You really only need one Thiele but 2 would be pretty awesome. Some report good findings with the G-Flex 2x12. If I was considering a wide cabinet with Thiele characteristics I would consider the ones being built by one of our Board members here. He is currently building Thiele styled cabinets. I believe he is going by Boogafunk? There was someone else building their own wide Thiele also. Search about some. I would seriously look into a Thiele for your Mark before an open back. The wide open back 1x12 cabinet would only sound slightly deeper than a standard combo cabinet. I found that I didn't care at all for sound of the combo nor the weight when loaded with an EVM. I run either a Thiele or my 2x12 halfback. I cannot comment on the Earcandy nor the Avatar being that I haven't played either but from what I hear the Avatars are decent and the Earcandy are quite nice. I guess it really only depends upon what you are looking for in your sound.

Earcandy makes a Thiele ported 1x12. It's called the Big Boa. The Sovereign has round ports rather than the rectangular type. I'm not a sound engineer but what I do know is that my Sovereign hangs in with a very loud drummer, another guitar player and a bass player with the output and channel volumes on three to four.

i will look into the g-flex but i just mentioned those two choices because i could have them used for unbelievably cheap at the moment.

I'm using a Mesa EV Thiele and a powered Celestion Seventy 80 (in a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 open back cab). The MKIV's slave out feeds the Power Engine (set to flat EQ). Great sound - the power and clarity of the Thiele and the airy-ness of an open back cab! I know it's a weird set up, but lots cheaper ($0 - I own both :lol: ) than buying a Mesa compact 12" speaker cab.

Matt

4x12 closed back metal grill with 90s on top and EVs on bottom. OR I think that a recto2x12 and a Thiele (EV) running together sound the clearest and heaviset for sure. it's kind of a wierd pair but they smoke. all you need is 3 speakers to kick ***! but if you want to save on space I have gigged with a thiele (EV) and it packs plenty of a punches on its own!

i am really interested in the thiele but i dont think its wide enough to fit my head and i dont really know where else to put it in my room. stupid excuse but i dont know what else to do

I have the short chasis inside of my rack case and it's a tad wider than the thiele but I will tell you what. The thiele is the best cab for the sound and the compact factor. It should fit where you are at unless you have tons of **** to begin with. I just sold my metal grill for a road ready thiele. making it my 3rd one. I am going to keep this one this time though.

well i usually play on the heavier side of the spectrum. i play in e standard and sometimes in c standard. if i ever want to get those jazzy smooth tones requiring headroom then im not playing too loud and its usually in my bedroom so the g-flex sounds pretty appealing. wanna sell me yours :D

who needs a box? hey but what is the ohmage? how do they work with the mkiv? would you have a price in mind?

k so im probably gonna buy a genz benz g flex. whats the best way to set it up with the mark iv? just run it from one of the 4 ohm outputs from the mark iv into the 4 ohm input? would this sound different than the 8 ohm?

so i bought a 112 and then right after a g-flex signed and owned by george lynch. i had the 112 dialed in but with those settings the g-flex isnt what it should be. does any body have settings for a mk iv through a g-flex so i can play with it tomorrow, too late to play :(

the g-flex made me fall in love with my ebmm jp and out of love with my ibanez s470. the s470 is tuned to c so maybe that has something to do with it...

Hey folks
just found this forum aftrer 10 yrs of boogie products.....man I didn't even know there was better tubes !
I have a mk IV combo and just bought a vert slant recto 2 12 and have been reading that the horizontal is a better option ?
The vert is a big improvement but is the horiz better ? I have heard it gives a bigger low end due to it being closer to the ground .
tanks for any info

PS I'm ordering retube kit from eurotubes next week !!!!! SWEEET!

MusicManJP6 said:
Dual thieles!! Horizontal Recto 2x12 supposed to sound good too...

never tried dual thieles, bet it'd be killer..but i can attest to the 2x12 horizontal recto..sheer bliss.

Latest posts

Back