Best Amp I Ever........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WretchedESP88 said:
i wanna play a Diezel just to see what all the hype is all about. Do they have as much gain as the rectifiers?

I can only speak as to the Herbert, but they have every bit as much gain as the rectos, probably more, and the entire gain range is useable. Excellent cleans as well. A much tighter, crushing low end, IMHO (though not as tight as the VH4). Very distinctive tone with the Diezels.
Of course, they do cost about 3x as much as a Dual Recto in the States, and are hard to find if you wanna try one.

Other than my good ol' Quad, I'd really have to say the... late 70s Marshall 2204 that one of the rehearsal spaces I played at a couple times had laying around. One of the early master volume models.

I'm not usually a huge Marshall fan but this thing just absolutely ripped. Beautifully clear, open and tight gain, plenty of that british 'roar' but never getting annoying. Beautiful response on it too, I don't know if I've ever played an amp that was more sensitive to guitar volume/pickup changes than that thing. Maybe there's just something magical about running a marshall circuit through some 6550s.

yeah... it IS in the fingers and I think it also depends a bit on your mood... but the amp is an extention of it all and will make a difference too.

So... even though I have tried a great many amps over the years and had a lot of great experiences, one of the stand outs was a little old Fender tweed with a v-twin in front of it... it sounded and played AMAZINGLY!

You need to remember that if you play through your same old faithfull amp all the time, day in day out, the best sounding / playing amp might actually be the one you haven't been playing through or that belongs to someone else.. haha!

The Rivera TBR1-SL I foolishly sold a few years ago...still kicking myself in the ***. MY 5150 combo is suitable with good eq'ing, and a fender combo for cleans, but nothing touches the TBR.

I still love my MKIII Green, but I also am amazed everytime I fire up my Red Iron T-Rex. Lately, I had the opportunity to play a Carol Ann Tucana and have been blown away by it. I just traded my Fuch TDS 100 for a Carol Ann OD2 100 and will report when I get it.

Yes Please do that! I am way curious about the Carol Ann amps, maybe post a clip or so? As for the best amp I ever had was my old DR Hi Watt 50 with matching 4x12 in road cases. Had to sell when I got married:(

Listened to some of the other Carol Ann amp clips as well as yours. Very musical amp. If I didn't know any better I'd guess that the Carol Ann is SS rectified, right? Sounds like it in the pick attack, especially on your clip. Nice amp, and thanks for sharing.

Also listened to Dumble and Fuchs ODS, great as well.

PS Still prefer my Siegmund Midnight Blues Breaker head over all others, but different strokes for different folks. It's all good.

It would have to be the 1970 Marshall Superbass I got to play a month ago. Nailed the early Van Halen tones, AC/DC stuff, Led Zep, deep purple etc. it did it all. Heck I even went Drop D and played some early TOOL riffs through it and it had THAT tone. Just phenomenal...

rabies said:
robredo_mattila said:
It would have to be the 1970 Marshall Superbass I got to play a month ago. Nailed the early Van Halen tones, AC/DC stuff, Led Zep, deep purple etc. it did it all. Heck I even went Drop D and played some early TOOL riffs through it and it had THAT tone. Just phenomenal...

tool uses that amp, that's why.

Yeah mate sure do, hence why I was keen to crank 'Prison sex' through that thing.

I recorded on a herbert over this past spring, and I wasn;t real impressed. It didn't floor me like I thought it would. But back on topic, it would have to be my stereo rig right now, a VHT Pittbull UL and a VHT Deliverance 120.

Best amp I ever played is my 1985 No Stripe Mark III Simul-Class with EQ and Reverb. All packaged in a small head going into a Mesa 4x12 and it loved to eat any amp within 100 feet. I let it go during a VERY STUPID Time in my life and have regretted ever since...however;

Today I play a Flextone Line 6 Plus which SUCKS THE BIG ONE!

But I love it...
:lol: :lol: :lol: stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I said STOP LAUGHING
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me explain:

I run a Peavey TG Raxx thru the effects loop of my Flattone which really made a tredendous improvement to its tone but then I run that signal into a Mesa 50/50 which powers my Boogie 4x12. Now I know that's alot of messin' around to get tone but sometimes you have to do what you need to do in order to make it happen...now I am laughing all of the time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Besides my Quad it's the Marshall 50 watt combo 2104 1978 that I still have.

I bought it on the spot trying the low channel for about 5 minutes. I was on holiday in London UK and really not looking for an amp but the sound was and still is Killer!

Don't get me wrong...I love my Stiletto Ace, but still....

1) Hiwatt Dr50 I was allowed to borrow for about 2 months (early 80s)
2) Really, really old Marshall 1962 combo. It just made you want to stand next to it!!
3) An ancient Fender Bassman that I used in an old farmhouse in South Texas many years ago.

Latest posts

Back