Which Mesa is best for warm hard rock soloing? Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple_Castle

Reaction score
Hi guys I`ve got Rect-o-Verb head with 2x12 stiletto cab. I`m happy with every sound from this beast execept solo sound. I can`t dial a satisfaing solo sound on it, I have put delay and overdrive on the vintage mode and still not satisfaid, it lacks sustain, warmth, tightness, prescision. I`m wondering if going for stiletto or mark IV would be my thing I can`t compere them in shop cause there`s no music shop in my country that have all of them at the same time... Can you suggest me something I want amp that`ve got planty of gain but with good saturation and warmness in it. Good clean channel would be also nice.

Sincerly

Jasiek

I hope that this topic is not to common for you to kill me for making another one...

Terrible question ever ! :roll:
Everybody have their own tastes so use yours to find it !

Try replacing the 6L6 tubes with a pair of EL34's. The added mids may be just what the Dr ordered.

I like the lead sounds out of my stiletto.....once you learn the amp they are NOT brittle sounding at all.

Purple_Castle said:
Hi guys I`ve got Rect-o-Verb head with 2x12 stiletto cab. I`m happy with every sound from this beast execept solo sound. I can`t dial a satisfaing solo sound on it, I have put delay and overdrive on the vintage mode and still not satisfaid, it lacks sustain, warmth, tightness, prescision. I`m wondering if going for stiletto or mark IV would be my thing I can`t compere them in shop cause there`s no music shop in my country that have all of them at the same time... Can you suggest me something I want amp that`ve got planty of gain but with good saturation and warmness in it. Good clean channel would be also nice.

Sincerly

Jasiek

I hope that this topic is not to common for you to kill me for making another one...

The newer Mesas like the Roadster and Road King have the most incredible sustain I have ever heard on an amp. I've played a ton of custom amps and most my friends have one or two. Myself, I own a Roadster, SLO 100 and ENGL SE. I play the Roadster the most because of the sustain that this amp has. I had issues dialing it in for leads at first too but there's a secret channel that no one knows about in these amps..channel 3. :lol:

My tone has changed alot lately since dialing in a violin type of sustain and sound out of the Roadster. It's the smoothest tone I've created and it's outrageously buttery and thick. The only thing I can say is that my leads sound like violin leads and the rythmn is a heavy, thick, powerful tone. I was also about to take this amp back and get something else but a few people here lent me some help with dialing it in and it lead to me finding a great setting with my Soloists with JB and Duncan Distortion on the bridge.

Maybe you can trade yours in or sell it and get a Roadster because you're not finding any better sustain than that. I a/b the **** out of mine for days against everything from Egnater to Bogner and Diezel and nothing touches the Roadster when it comes to sustain. I don't know why I never hear this because even when I had it dialed wrong I could hear the long sustain and it'd amaze me. I hardly ever hear anyone bringing up one the amps best features and little wonder. It's not advertised or anything but it's a great thing about this amp.

Hi guys thanks for input. One of the biggest problems for me is the lack of sustain. You know I can rip out and put many notes in one bar then I don`t need sustain but when the moment comes to bend and vibrate problems starts that thing starts to suck :p I have a feeling that my tone is not focused enough. I`m runing gain preaty low it`s about 1.30-2 o`clock my bass is around 11 with mid at 1 and treble at 2-2.30 so I think this tone should be quite tight. I will consider trying el34 but I don`t know if I want to add cost to this amp. Rodster seems to be quite cool option assuming 2 additonal channels as helpfull and sonicaly interesting. I`m not big fan of one amp do all, but I would like to have at least awsome distorted rythym and lead sounds.

I've played most of the amps mentioned here and in my opinion... for what it's worth... the MKIV was easily the best lead sound (closest to the C+). But then I like really gutsy, warm, smooth, buttery sustain for days sound for my solos. Others may prefer the buzzy/fizzy sound the rectifier structure is designed to produce.

So you say that I will get awsome distorted rythym and lead tones from mark IV? I think that rectifier solo sound of any kind will never be my thing. I think it always be lacking on warmth and sustain. I don`t want to change brand of amps cause I think mesa is totaly awsome and I just need to find right one for me. Any thoughts on soloing on stiletto?

I never played a MK4 so I can't vote against that, but my LSC has a very smooth sustaining lead voice on channel 2 with the drive engaged.

Yeah I`m still thinking about lonestar cause I don`t know if I need as much gain as recto or mark are offering I don`t play metal any more I prefer hard rock. So maybay lonestar is the way to go I must search Poland for mark IV and lonestar. :) I think I will put my final descision between these two.

RoadsterAbuser said:
I had issues dialing it in for leads at first too but there's a secret channel that no one knows about in these amps..channel 3. :lol:

My tone has changed alot lately since dialing in a violin type of sustain and sound out of the Roadster. It's the smoothest tone I've created and it's outrageously buttery and thick. The only thing I can say is that my leads sound like violin leads and the rythmn is a heavy, thick, powerful tone. I was also about to take this amp back and get something else but a few people here lent me some help with dialing it in and it lead to me finding a great setting with my Soloists with JB and Duncan Distortion on the bridge.

Would you mind sharing how you set it to get that great lead tone :?:

Mark IV, Stiletto, Lonestar

Either of those will fit the bill for you, Mark IV taking the lead (pun intended).

I have to say that the Lonestar Classic has a beautiful clean sound... a lot nicer than a MKIV when it comes to classic fender type cleans. However, the tracking of the Lonestar for fast overdriven leads was weak IMO. Mushy. The MKIV is the classic Boogie lead that gets the Santana, Vai, Satriani type soloing sounds. That was my main objective when I chose the MKIV. But if I could afford it I would be using the Lonestar Classic for my cleans.

You really do have to consider the pickups in your guitar-that matters alot. Going from a classic 59 to paf pro will change your sound and the way your amp reacts. I like my les paul classic with the ceramics in the duece, but not in a lonestar, where I use my tele with paf pro in the neck.

Yeah I know about pickup differences, my gibson sounds extremly dark on rectifier, I think I will move on to some more midrange voiced amp which probably put Mark and Stiletto on the top of the list. I must find somewhere Mark IV, Stiletto Ace and Lonestar. I want only head versions. I know that there are quite a lot of people in here owning Mark IV and Ace, I know that they are diferently voiced amps but maybay someone can highlighte they +/-. My biggest concern about Mark is the tweaking job when dialing the tone. I'm moving out of emg zone and stick with passive pickups. I want pure tube rock tone with minimum amount of pedals.

Sincerly

Jasiek

Purple...I have an LP Standard with Duncan 59's and a Rectoverb combo. I get a really nice lead tone. Basically:
Vintage (all in o'clock)
Gain 2:00
Treble 11:00
Mid 12:30
Bass 1:00
Presence OFF
Reverb 9:00 (or to taste)
My channel master is NEVER above 10:00 or so
Amp master 10:00-12:00 (or as needed)

I use a Tung Sol Reissue in the V1 and SED 6L6's

Purple_Castle said:
Yeah I know about pickup differences, my gibson sounds extremly dark on rectifier, I think I will move on to some more midrange voiced amp which probably put Mark and Stiletto on the top of the list. I must find somewhere Mark IV, Stiletto Ace and Lonestar. I want only head versions. I know that there are quite a lot of people in here owning Mark IV and Ace, I know that they are diferently voiced amps but maybay someone can highlighte they +/-. My biggest concern about Mark is the tweaking job when dialing the tone. I'm moving out of emg zone and stick with passive pickups. I want pure tube rock tone with minimum amount of pedals.

Sincerly

Jasiek

Thanks man I will check your settings today. I`m still going to check other boogies, maybay one of them will be like dream come true :).

Latest posts

Back