What tubes are you guys using in your Vintage Boogies?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody use NOS?

I've been using JJ's in my DC's and Blue Angel for a while now.

I had an NOS 12AX7 in V4 of my DC 3 for a while, but it died. It really opened up the clean channel.

I've been thinking of getting a few more, but the cost is outrageous.

I've also tried the Mullard Re-Issue in V4. I bought 3 last year. They all sounded incredible, but went south within a very short period of time. 1 lasted all of 5 minutes.

I think I read on a thread here about Tung-Sol preamp tubes.

For Power Tubes, I've been using JJ's, but I'm out of 6L6's and need to place an order, so I thought I would ask around.

The best bang for the buck is RFT's. Awesome gain and tone. I have about 20 of the Mullard re-issue and it is a great sounding, yet the least reliable tube I have ever used. When they go south, they seem to only work in the PI.

RFT ,excellent quality pre amp ,NOS is def the way to go, JJ tubes just dont do it for me :wink:

Hi Monsta,

I use the TungSol RI ax7s, NOS RCA 5751s, NOS RCA at7s, and NOS Mullard 4024s (at7s). For power tubes, I use 6L6 in Winged-C and Mesa 430, and also NOS Siemens EL34s. These are in both my DC5 and MKIII Simul greenie. Long story short: I found no diffs in some tube positions, modest diff in others, and great differences in others still. The bottom line is experiment and see what sounds good for you.

FWIW, I found the NOS Mullard 4024s the best in certain gain stages and the PI spot. But if you're going to stick with ax7s, the TungSol RIs are great ...very smooth and "even" sounding; clearly-defined notes with good detail. Were they all "better" than the stock Mesa tubes? Well like I said, no diff in some slots, but significant tonal improvements in others.

As for 6L6s, I really like the Winged C over the Mesa current-production 430s. I will get these again for my DC, and will eventually try them out in my MKIII, which still has 430s in there. For EL34s, the NOS Siemens (Mesa's 450) simply kick tonal butt! These are tonally rich, with great harmonics and wonderful detail ...definitely worth the price IMHO.

So yes, good NOS tubes really "can" improve the tone of your amp, but won't improve the sound by sheer virtue of their use. No substitute for trial and error. Hope this helps you a bit.

Edward

I've noticed very little difference in the Loop tubes and most of the time, in the Reverb tubes as well.

Mostly, I'm looking at my Clean channels, which would be V4 in my DC's.

Where did you get your Tung-Sols?

I have a pair of Mesa STR 416 tubes and a spare pair of Sylvania labeled NOS 6CA7s (Made in England) for the EL34 duties in my Mark IIC+ Simul Class. I have a pair of Winged C's for 6L6s. I have a mish mash of preamp tubes. I haven't taken the time to work it out yet but I have old Marshall labeled ECC83s, RCAs, GEs, a couple of Mullards, and Amparex Bugle Boys, and a bunch of newer tubes for 12AX7s.

I slowly acquire NOS tubes because they sound better and last at least five times as long as the new stuff. I was fortunate enough to have a friend from England who had all kinds of tubes and one day decided to give up on music entirely. He sold me a box full of high quality tubes for $50.00. I took them all to Ron Ott of King Amp Co. and had him test every one of them. If they didn't test out great, I gave them to Ron and threw any bad ones away so I would never be confused. We matched all power tube pairs and when there was a good match, I rubber banded the boxes together and wrote little notes on them. Now I have a box about the size of a speaker box that is 3/4 full with all good to excellent tubes and all are labeled, either in their original boxes or in zip lock bags with descriptions written on the bags.

Monsta-Tone said:

Mostly, I'm looking at my Clean channels, which would be V4 in my DC's.

Where did you get your Tung-Sols?

FWIW, I use a NOS RCA 5751 in my DC5s V4 position. Very beautiful and chimey cleans. Try this or a good AT7 to "gain down" the Rhythm channel a bit: seems to lend a clearer tone with more of that "chime" in the upper end with round, but nicely-defined lows.

BTW, you may want to try an AT7 in the reverb slot (V5) in your DC. It lends a bit more "separation" between the dry and wet, giving the verb a bit more of a spacious feel ...not a huge difference, but I do like it.

I get all my tubes, current production like the T-S ax7 or NOS-ers, from KCA tubes:
http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/

Mike is very knowledgeable, really stands behind his stuff, and is a great to deal with overall. He's an active poster at TheGearPage (goes under "blue strat") if you want to get his thoughts. No affiliation; just a very satisfied and repeat customer. Hope this helps you a bit :)

Edward

Monsta-Tone said:
Hadn't thought of the PI, I always try to put the most reliable tubes I have there.

I will have to try that. How long do they last????

What is RFT? Is that a Ruby Tube?

RFT plant in East Germany, Berlin. they mede tube also for Telefunken and Lorenz.
I know mesa on the Mark era use Siemens 12AX7 and Lorenz as well. All high quality german brands. just monday i saw into a studio 22+

I fall in love with Philips 12ax7 short plate with halo getter Made in Holland.
they sound sweet and detailed, articulate and dynamic with warm
sparkly tonal balance

great are also 12ax7 RCA short grey plate, more warm than Philips
Just taste

:D Thanks guys,

I will do some experimenting today and report back.

I just might try the AT7 in it's place. I really like the agressiveness of the Clean channel with an AX7. I set the Master on 9 or 10, and the Gain on 6. Loud & Proud. It sounds really close to my Pro Reverb like this, but a bit meaner.

sparkly tonal balance

Just taste[/quote]

That Philips, made in Holland is probably an Amparex.

ramalam said:
sparkly tonal balance

Just taste

That Philips, made in Holland is probably an Amparex.[/quote]

Yes Ramalam! Philips company used to brand their tubes for the european market as PHILIPS (NOT EGC!) or VALVO. Amperex was the brand for the American Market.

BTW, look at the tubes codes printed on the glass! they show where tubes were built

For example
I65 4(DELTA) 9C4

The first part of the code determines the plant of Production, the second the date of production.
Any tubes branded Amperex, Valvo or Philips, with same short grey plate, large/small ring halo getter and same code I65, are identical in sound and construction. All tubes were made in Heerlen, Holland.

Just 1 difference.
Amperex costs twice than Philips

That's good info to have.

I am pretty sure that I had a Phillips 12AX7 in V4 of my DC. It was the best sounding tube I have ever had in my amp.

Last night I A/B ed my 66 Fender Pro Reverb and my DC-10.

I was able to get really close to the Fender tones, but the Fender had this warmth that I could not replicate. It has old GE & Phillips tubes in the Preamp.

Both amps have JJ's for Power Tubes.

Latest posts

Back