What preamp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAmenti

Reaction score
I've managed to get my hands on a Strategy 500 (**** yeah), but don't have enough money right now for a Triaxis. Does anybody know if the Marshall JMP 1 preamp is any good? I personally hate the Marshall sound, and love the Mesa (CHUGG!) so was wondering whether the Strategy would take over in the sound department, or whether it would sound more like a Marshall? Any help would be mucho appreciated, cheers!

The preamp is what will give your sound it's character so although I haven't personaly tried this combination I'd say it will sound mostly like a Marshall.

thats what I was afraid of lol. What about the ADA MP-1? do mesa do any other preamps cheaper than the triaxis? im just looking for a temporary solution until i have the cash for the triaxis

Personaly, I'd save my cash and hold off to get what I really want first time round. This way you'll be happy from the get go and not waste any money.
It's not immediate gratification but will make you happier in the long run.

I owned a Marshall JMP-1 for a while and hated it. Very sterile sounding and nothing like a Mesa in its gain character. I also owned a ADA MP-1 and it was nice but it was that 80s hair metal sound.

Get a Studio Pre. You will get the IIC+ chug and fluid drive.

You could pick up a Studio or Quad Preamp, even a formula pre if you wanted to. But I agree with Martin, and just wait for what you really want.

Congrats on that beast of a power amp.

Hey AshAmenti!!!

I would say get the ADA-MP-1 it is based on a Marshall Tone.

It has 3 modes, Solid State, Clean Tube, Dist Tube.

There is a list a mile long of players who used to use them.

They are Cheap to buy and there are many Mods at adacentral.com

I have one and it has been Modded with the Noise Mod and 3TM. It is much quieter than the Triaxis and has a little bit more gain.

To be honest I find it hard to choose between the Triaxis and MP-1.

I believe for the money they cost, nothing comes close, then if you like it you can mod it to your liking or save up and buy a Triaxis.

just my 2 cents,

Gezza.

I have a feeling if you get a Studio Pre, you'll stop thinking about the TA.

I have both. For balls out gain, bite and crunch I actually like the JMP 1 better than the Triaxis.

Keep in mind that I had the JMP 1 connected to my Mesa Simul 2:90 power amp. In my opinion, that is one BADASS combo if you're looking for a real "in your face", aggressive sound.

The Triaxis has overall, a more well-rounded array of sounds probably - depends on what you like.

Reasons for ultimately going with the Triaxis over the JMP 1:

a) Triaxis takes advantage of the switching capabilities of the Simul 2:90
b) Triaxis has continuous control capability
c) Triaxis is much better built - higher quality workmanship

On a side note, I actually bought a Whirlwind A/B switcher to experiment with using both preamps at the same time and got some tones that would peel the paint off the walls!

Thanks for the help guys, yeah I'll probably just wait, or if I see one of the other mesa preamps up anywhere I'll get one of those \m/

If clean sounds and Mark tones are your thing the Triaxis will be for you BUT the classic rock tones and distortion tones are better on the JMP1 also the Triaxis sound nothing like a recto even with the recto board ,not to mention poor interface and FX loop compared to JMP1 .
I had both for years and now would use neither .You should try the Egnater M4 way better than any mesa pre and with the COD module more like a Mark series tone than a Quad ,all with modular interchangeability, Midi and 8 channel's no op-amps .
Time for mesa to make another pre as they have nothing to go up against this clean or OD .Especially as the E,Rect module sound more like my RK than my friends recto pre. :cry:
In conclusion best pre amps at the moment are
All round M4 (no contest)
Modern Metal Engl570( once again no contest)
best bargain JMP1 (sadly discontinued because of Rohs).

Latest posts

Back