What Mesa amps do you currently own (current production)?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What amps do you currently own?

• Electra Dyne

Votes: 10 9.8%
  • Express

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Lone Star

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Mark V

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Rectifier (Dual, Triple, Road King, Roadster, Mini)

Votes: 53 52.0%
  • Royal Atlantic

• TransAtlantic

• Rack (TriAxis or Recto Preamp, any power amp)

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Big Block, Carbine or Walkabout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a discontinued amp.

Votes: 53 52.0%

• Total voters
Adambomb said:
brich said:
Does Mesa make an oversized 2x12 Recto cab? I though they were all the same size.

Check out the link to the Recto Cabs on Mesa's site below and it shows the two different 2x12 cabinets along with the different 4x12's. It gives you size descriptions when you click on each cabinet.

From what I understand, the 4x12 standard cabinet is an oversized cabinet. The traditional is the "normal" 4x12 cabinet, which has a similar size to Marshall and other cabinets. I have had both and the standard has a more pronounced bottom end (due to the extra size) with less mids and the traditional has a less boomy bottom end and more mids present. I had the 2x12 and the standard 4x12 for a while. I traded the standard in on a traditional 4x12. In my opinion the 2x12 and standard 4x12 have a similar sound and the traditional is definitely different. Others on the board might have a different opinion, but that's my take on it. The traditional rectifier cabinet, if I am not mistaken, is the cabinet that Mesa was calling the Stiletto cabinet for some time....I ran across that info while researching the cabinets online.

In the 2x12 they make a regular and a compact cabinet. The regular 2x12 has the same width and depth of the standard (oversized) 4x12. The compact is not as wide or deep as either 4x12 cabinet.

This is all information I have accumulated from talking to Trace over at Voodoo Amps, Marcus at Mesa Boogie, and reading their site.
Trace recommended swapping the Standard 4x12 for the Traditional 4x12 to get the sound I was looking for and he was dead on with his recommendation. Marcus at Mesa said a lot of the Mesa folks prefer the Standard 4x12 with the Rectifiers.

I am new to the board, been reading it for years, and would like to hear the more seasoned board members opinions.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/RECTO-CABS-Main2012.htm

I have been thru a few Mesa amps but right now I have to that are really great for getting the tone in my head. Nothing complex, just 2 channel Betty's.

MKIIC, rectoverb series 2 50W 1x12 combo.

Both have amazing clean channels. The old Recto Verb sounds amazing with a Tele. What a cool amp.

I don't like the way new Mesa's sound or feel, maybe because they are all compared to a Mark III Coli! They don't make them like they used to, period.

brich said:
This is all information I have accumulated from talking to Trace over at Voodoo Amps, Marcus at Mesa Boogie, and reading their site.
Trace recommended swapping the Standard 4x12 for the Traditional 4x12 to get the sound I was looking for and he was dead on with his recommendation. Marcus at Mesa said a lot of the Mesa folks prefer the Standard 4x12 with the Rectifiers.

If you want that signature recto crunch / sag, the cab is half the equation. That being said, I fought with a Standard Rectocab for a good number of years before finally getting rid of it. If I had to get a 4 x 12 again, I'd get the Traditional Rectocab. I love the tighter tone and the more vocal mids.

I have an early (not that it matters) Mark V head and a Roadster 2x12 combo. I would really love to get an EL34 based Mesa as well to blend or just to have for another flavor.

2ch Dual rec
2ch Trip rec
Mark IIc+
Mark III red stripe
MarkIVb
Mark V
Blue Angel

I must say that the Rectifier check box will likely show highest because it includes many different great amps in that series! I selected that "box" because I own a Mini Recto...and very pleased that I do, but I don't currently own any other amp in that category.

Not that it matters....Just saying.

FWIW......My current list is:
MkV
MkIV
TA-30
Mini Recto

first post:(love this board as i've read thru a ton of posts and read a lot of great information.)
I've owned an early 3 channel dual rec for over 6 years now. Great amp.

I voted only once - all of my Mesas are discontinued.

That means my Dual Rectifier, which is about thirty years old, is my only production Boogie.

Analog Kid said:
Well, strike all the Electradyne votes! No longer in production!

Are you kidding me?! I've heard nothing but great reviews and the video clips I've seen have all been great. This is a head scratcher for sure. I was seriously wanting one.

How the HELL is the Electra Dyne out of prodution!??!?

That really sucks, it was a really cool, unique amp... :(

Back