Do you guys own more than one Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to know do you all have more than one mark v or a few other different amps? I own a V35 combo and a Rectoverb 25 combo at the moment. Both fantastic amps I'm using the 35 more as I just prefer it. Sadly the rectoverb hardly gets used. I've actually just switched back to using some rack gear with the Axe fx running the 4CM. All sounds awesome!

Now I'm using a rack setup again with my old wide body 1x12. I'm sitting my rack case on top of my cab and then sticking whatever head or amp on top. I had a bit of a close call recently at a gig. I usually have my rack stuff on the floor and then I just put my 35 combo on top. Anyway last song of the set and someone spilled a full pint of beer on the floor. As I was playing I saw it slowly trickling towards my pedal board and it nearly got to my rack on the floor. I just remember thinking please let the song end so I can mop this up. It was close and it was within millimetres of hitting my gear. So I've decided to get the rack off the floor just in case.

I've got a couple of options here I thought maybe take bake the 35 and get the head version, Sell the rectoverb and get the Mark V 90 watts version. Or buy a head enclosure for the 35 and that way I get to keep both combo and have a head version for the 35 as I really like the amp a lot. Would this make sense though as I have a 1x12 cab already?

I'd like to get another amp just to take place of the rectoverb plus I really like the mark 1 sound on the mark v 90 watt version that always sounded awesome to me as well.

Anyway I'm interested to see what amps you have and if they are all mark v models.

Thanks guys.

Paul

I have the Mark V head, the Mark V:25 head, and a Marshall JVM410 head. Several cabs. Big Mark gets the most use. I'm considering a Roadster head at some point in the next year. More than I need, but there are worse hobbies too. Next up for me is a new MacBook to replace my '09 model for recording.

Mark V:35 Combo (black tan jute with tan piping, black bronco tolex), Dual Rectifier Head with Mesa 412 slant cab or Marshall 410 cab (Model 1980), Roland Jazz Chorus JC120. Got tired of lugging Dual recto around now it sits in our rehearsal space. Great amp! JC120 is geriatric so its lives at home now. I had a Rectoverb 50 combo but was not thrilled with it. Clean channel broke up when pushed, overdrive channel not enough overdrive. Sold. Thrilled with the V:35!

The day I do is probably the time to call the men in white coats.
(...Or the day I have really hit the big time.)

Having said that I do own a selection of different Mesa amps, including, yes, two 2-channel Dual Rectifiers. But there's a a method to my madness, they (a C and a G) couldn't be more different from each other. Totally different sound and feel! The C is tight and bright, totally unlike any other Rectifier I have ever played (including, among others, a Road King II, a RevF, a Reborn, and so on - some of them are pretty bright, yes, but you have no idea what a tight Recto is like until you play the RevC). The G, OTOH, is the opposite - it has got that iconic massive, dark, loose tone.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm gonna sell my RV25 as I don't use it much anymore and get a Mark V Head. I used to own a mark v but sold it as I got the RV25 and didn't really need it as I thought downsizing was the the way to go. I then bought MKV 25 head which was great but I always thought it struggled when I was gigging. I ended up selling that and buying the MKV 35 which is a great amp but now i'm altering my rack setup I need a head to sit on top. So I'm thinking MKV 90 watt version anyway and then I'll keep the 35 combo and I might get a head enclosure for it at some point.

I've had a look on eBay over here in the UK and I can't see any 2nd hand MKV's around. Well not near me anyway. I might try and do a part ex and get one that way.

I only have one Mark V. Started out as a head, converted to a combo.
I also have a Roadster head (reason for converting the V to a combo).
RA100 head, and a RA100 Combo. Yes I have two of these amps. Why? they are awesome and sound nothing alike unless I am driving the same cabinet. The RA100 Combo is too much fun to stop playing (also changed the two V30 speakers).

I was contemplating selling the Mark V as I could not get what I wanted out of it. That has changed when I changed the speaker. Now I really love this combo amp. I am going to try another speaker to see if I like it or not. I may end up using it in an extension cab. Right now it seems to serve as a test bed for speakers. Odd that I have not played my other amps that much. I do from time to time.

MichaelJamesProducer said:
I have a Mark V 90W head and 35W combo, and find them to be different amps. I dig both.

Nice! That's what I miss chan 2 mark 1 setting sounds awesome! I caved and put a deposit on a Mark v 90W head over the weekend. Picking it up next Monday can't wait! Its only money right? Trading in my RV25 combo as i got a good price for it.

As of last week, I now have two Mark V's. One of them has a 25 after it. Just got the big boy though, and after a rocky start, I'm LOVING the amp.

I have the opposite of Michael's. A Mark V combo (with a 1-12 widebody closed back extension) and a Mark Five:35 head with a couple of the aforementioned widebody closed back cabs. Two really great amps, and they sound huge when I run them together, either clean or dirty. The 35 also sounds great through my ancient 1968 Marshall 4x12 straight cab with Greenbacks. And my Mesa Thiele 1x12 EVM 12L cab.

To answer your question, I wish!!
I'd love to have Fat and Tweed readily
available or maybe at the same time.

Only one MkV but also a lone star combo. Both great amps, even after more than two years I am still finding lots of new sounds in the mk v. Wolf mail who is over at my place every Saturday likes the lone star. He gets an ace blues/rock/country tone from it.

I have a V:25 ( the third one I'Ve owned since they came out :lol:) and a Mark V, a Mark IV and also have a Splawn Quick Rod.

Well I did it guys, I trading in my RV25 combo and bought a Mark V 90 watt head. I'm actually really glad I bought one, what a fantastic amp love that mark 1 tone. And the clean channel what a difference in headroom.

I got a pretty good deal on it as well and on a cab clone I bought with it.

So overall very happy thanks for all the posts guys it's much appreciated.

paulg2uk said:
Well I did it guys, I trading in my RV25 combo and bought a Mark V 90 watt head. I'm actually really glad I bought one, what a fantastic amp love that mark 1 tone. And the clean channel what a difference in headroom.

I got a pretty good deal on it as well and on a cab clone I bought with it.

So overall very happy thanks for all the posts guys it's much appreciated.

Enjoy!!!

Congratulations! Yes, the Big Mark V is an awesome amp! I still own the one I purchased when it was first released.
Personally, I currently have GAS for the V:35 combo that I auditioned last weekend! I am considering selling my V:25 (also a great amp) or something else to help purchase a V:35 combo. Hmmm?

Hmmm..... "GAS" I have had that for most of my life I just never knew what it was. Of all my years with the disorder besides not knowing I had it I found a way, with my tax return check, to put it into remission. I built my dream rig and bought a 2016 Les Paul Goldtop just to insure a relapse would be postponed. I'll keep you all posted on how long the remission lasts.

Word of warning: High end gear is really that good. It is so high end in fact that it will let your cheezy playing be heard loud and clear. So in a way it's like buying practice time because when I hear what comes out of the speakers....eeeewwww. I gota practice, the clarity is making the sloppy really freakin loud...LOL

MBJunkie said:
Congratulations! Yes, the Big Mark V is an awesome amp! I still own the one I purchased when it was first released.
Personally, I currently have GAS for the V:35 combo that I auditioned last weekend! I am considering selling my V:25 (also a great amp) or something else to help purchase a V:35 combo. Hmmm?

Thanks guys. I prefer the 35 over the 25 but that's just me. I'm gonna order a head enclosure for my 35 as well then I can use it either way with my rack setup. It will then be off the floor and away from drunk people and their drinks spilling on the floor.

Just, only today been onto Vyse amps about a head enclosure for my 90watt.
Flatpack comes in at around £90. After glueing 7 billion Les Paul headstocks, I'm confident I can glue a bit of dovetailed pine. So I'm going that way for a head enclosure.

Worth looking at. Their kits are quality and not just generic JTM/Bassman/Twin/800 copies. If you ever feel like getting into building amps. Don't confuse them with the American Torres engineering. They were a completely different company. A real cut above.

http://vyseamps.com/

I have these Mark amps.
Mark JP-2C LE
Mark JP-2C CS Kroco
Mark V:90 A
Mark V:90 B
Mark V:25 Head
Mark V:35 Head Teal
Mark V:35 Combo Green

I love them all!
The one I use the least is the V:25 head, because I usually need more headroom.

The ones I mostly use are Mark V:90 and Mark V:35 Combo.

Back