What do you guys use for tubes in your Mark IV? (update)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering some new tubes for my Mark as their age/quality is questionable right now. I'm not looking to change toe tone so much as just improve what I already like. I don't want to jump on the JJ's sound like a blanket over your amp but these 6L6's just sound muffled to me for some reason... could be because I haven't used a 6L6 in a while.

I've read tons and tons about using an NOS V1 tube and people are also recommending the TungSol reissues as well.

As far as 6L6's, I'm keen to try the SED winged =C= as I've been reading good things about them forever.

Any and all recommendations would be helpful, I want the sweetest/smoothest possible clean tones out of R1 (love my R1 now) and also a great lead tone as well capable of brutal metal. I realize this is totally subjective but I'd be curious if there was a 'gold standard' out there for tubes and this amp.

#5 GT 6L6 GE's and GT #6 6CA7 GE's.

It's awesome baby !!!!

If you go with Winged C's, ( Used in two of my IIC+'s) call Ned
at Triode Electronics. You will never find a better burned or matched set anywhere. I have been running # 36 6L6's and # 34 EL-34's and they draw 35ma in the IIC's. They were all perfectly matched to the milliamp and have been for over three years. He's in Chicago too.

I bought my Phillips 7581A's from him as well when they were cheap.
All are exact to the Ma.

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/

I agree with Boogie Babies. But for something different, try 6v6's I have a set that was matched by Doug's tubes and I love them....
Oh, I almost forgot, you may want to try thr 5881's that Mesa sells. I don't think that they are "true" 5881's, but they are very smooth and creamy. They are not as bright as the 6L6's though. Have fun! :mrgreen:

Boogiebabies said:

It's awesome baby !!!!

at Triode Electronics. You will never find a better burned or matched set anywhere. I have been running # 36 6L6's and # 34 EL-34's and they draw 35ma in the IIC's. They were all perfectly matched to the milliamp and have been for over three years. He's in Chicago too.

All are exact to the Ma.

Thanks for the tip, that's awesome he's in Chicago.. I know exactly where that is. What's the story with those GTs, how are they?

Also, I see a lot of people using the EL34/6L6 combo, do you find this to be better than 4 6L6's? I'm curious as long as I'm getting tubes.

Platypus said:
Boogiebabies said:

It's awesome baby !!!!

All are exact to the Ma.

Thanks for the tip, that's awesome he's in Chicago.. I know exactly where that is. What's the story with those GTs, how are they?

Also, I see a lot of people using the EL34/6L6 combo, do you find this to be better than 4 6L6's? I'm curious as long as I'm getting tubes.

I decided to go with these because the MK Series were designed around the Sylvania 6L6 and 6CA7. Other than using my actual STR-415's and buying two Phillips 6CA7's for $ 200, I used the closest alternative. Just the use of the 6CA7 in the outer sockets gives it better cleans than an EL-34. The 6Ca7 is less trebly and has a huge natural bottom end. I'v tried a ton of 4 6L6 combinations, but none of them ever sounded better than the cheap Mesa STR-420 that came with the amp. I have them in a vault at the local Banc Suisse. :D The cleans are superb and the bottom end is a bit bigger when using 4 6L6's. My neighbor is running 4 STR-425 5881's and the amp is a killer. I'v had similar result running those cheap russians in a IIC+. Surprisingly awesome.

I'm digging the sounds of Class A right now so I'm not sure if I want to go EL34/6L6 combination since only the EL34's would be active. I can always switch to simul class but I love the sound of the Class A mode.

I'll try out these GT's I think, they seem to be very well liked out on the web.
Would running 4 of those be better than 4 SED's? I'll get a sound clip up later of the kind of tone I'm shooting for.

Do yourself a favor D and find some 420's. They really are sweet.

there's a pack of new 420's on ebay right now.

I agree, 420's are very "sweet" tubes...if you can describe tone in that fashion. It's like licking a really good lollipop that you haven't had since you were a kid. They are the tubes that came in my rectifier.

Elpelotero said:
there's a pack of new 420's on ebay right now.

I agree, 420's are very "sweet" tubes...if you can describe tone in that fashion. It's like licking a really good lollipop that you haven't had since you were a kid. They are the tubes that came in my rectifier.

NOOOOO THEY ARE MINE *****!!!

I was kidding. I don't need them right now and I am still doing my daughter's birthday weekend.

yeah i was joking to..how do you think they compare to the =C=? i have never used =C= or str420 ..only JJ ( sounded great ) and str430 before JJ ( which sounded so bad )

Back