What do you guys use for tubes in your Mark IV? (update)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guitarzan said:
I have a quad in my early DR, They have a nice "brown" when you give'em the juice.

How are the harmonics? I'm curious how well they'll stand up to beautiful clean tones and also the complete opposite side of the spectrum :)

Platypus said:
Guitarzan said:
I have a quad in my early DR, They have a nice "brown" when you give'em the juice.

How are the harmonics? I'm curious how well they'll stand up to beautiful clean tones and also the complete opposite side of the spectrum :)

Well they don't have the bottom end of the JJ's, The cleans are phenominal. Sparkly, yet smooth. With the DR in spongy and tube recto, I can plug in a Tele and swear I'm playing a Fender. Keith Richards tone for days. With the amp distorted they have an upper mid honk that's subtle but not annoying and definately not metallic. They shine when you do leads. Harmonics are good not the best I've heard but close. You'll like them.

Cool.. the JJ's are ok but they feel sort of cold to me. The bass is nice but a tad overpowering at times.

I can't wait to throw them in :)

Yeah... I know what you mean about the JJ's. Good "NuMetal" tube. I'd go with the SED's for that all around 6L6 and the GT GE's for doing instrumental stuff.

Guitarzan said:
Yeah... I know what you mean about the JJ's. Good "NuMetal" tube. I'd go with the SED's for that all around 6L6 and the GT GE's for doing instrumental stuff.

I'm gonna grab a set of SED's as well, hear great things and with the price it's stupid not to.

Would you say the GE's can that heavy 'high gain focus' sound that cuts through? Not really nu-metallly but like, when you spank a power chord and you feel the whole chord shine through with a nice bite.

Platypus said:
when you spank a power chord and you feel the whole chord shine through with a nice bite.

I would look more to your pickups for that amount of fine tuning. The tubes do a good job of not washing out the low E, F or F#. They stay fairly tight.

Guitarzan said:
Platypus said:
when you spank a power chord and you feel the whole chord shine through with a nice bite.

I would look more to your pickups for that amount of fine tuning. The tubes do a good job of not washing out the low E, F or F#. They stay fairly tight.

perfect! : 8)

I put today a pair of sovtek 6l6wxt+ in outer sockets in my mark IV:great sound,more definition and sustain,less microphonics. great tubes :D

Man you guys weren't kidding... these 6L6GE's are ridiculously good. The cleans are even better than before, much more snap but it's not shrill, it's so 'sweet' sounding. They definitely sound more 'open' to me than the JJ's I had in there previously. I'm in love with how open and organic they sound.. even with most brutal settings on Lead mode these burn through it no problem and provide EXTREMELY usable bass that stays tight and also allows me to dig in and get huge focus. Leads are much better.. staggeringly better I'd say, that was the biggest improvement.

Anyway, thought I'd share for you Mark IV owners, the GT 6L6GE is a killer tube..

Played a quick bit before work this morning :eek:

man these things have such an awesome brown on R2

So I went through some old stash of tubes in the garage. To my suprise I found two matched quartets of 420's. I had forgot that I hade these from my previosly owned 2:90. Anyway put them in the Mark IV and HOLY Shiaat!
Just awsome Man, awsome.

Latest posts

Back