What do you guys use for tubes in your Mark IV? (update)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did they? That is a good thing I didn't drive all the way up there looking for them then. See sometimes it is good to stay up late and be awake to read this stuff. :D

Russ said:
Did they? That is a good thing I didn't drive all the way up there looking for them then. See sometimes it is good to stay up late and be awake to read this stuff. :D

Yeah they're all gone around here, replaced with Sam Ash

Guitarzan said:
That's what I thought.

As much as I love hearing 'come as you are' butchered by a 12 year old with a b.c. rich, sadly that has come to an end. :D

What preamp tubes are you guys using in your Mark IV? I have been Fing around with mine lately mixing up GT with Mesa tubes. How are the Tungsol in the Mark IV?

well i got my 2 packs of str 420's and one tube was shorting straight out of the packet..shame..they were NOS to with the mesa sticker still over the lip so they havn't been opened..i am getting a free pair sent to me becasue of the shorting tube.. so 5 str 420's.. the pair i tired in my mk IV sounded very nice indeed.. real nice rich bass with a good sweet high end..

I have some Sylvanias that Peavey used to put in the block letter 5150 heads to try in my Mark IV. I think I have some E34L's too but I never cared for them too much.

Greg

All right guys, what about 6V6's? You guys have to try them. They really are sweet sounding. They make the cleans bubbly and 3d, They make rythm 2 growl so that you don't need a boost, and the lead is to die for. Please don't be 6L6 snobs :(

These tubes still have plenty of head room for most gigs and have plenty of low end. PLease will you try them.......

I did abit of a A/B today with some pre- amp / power tubes in my mk IV and the tubes i had -

preamp in V1

1960's Rca
1960's brimar
1960's haltron
new JJ
no name that was in may mk III when i bought it.

power
Str 416
str 420
str 425
str 430
str 440
JJ 6L6
and the winner's..

the pre amp was the haltron/brimar...very very nice

I found the JJ sounded alittle less toppy ( you could say dull ) but it wasn't a bad thing..but the JJ suited the mk IV becasue of it's less top's it's more smooth..i ended up staying with them

the RCA was very very bassy and woofy.. most likely pretty used all up..

the no name that was in tmy mk III when i got it was really harsh and un smooth..

POWER

420 with the 416 on the outside..or 420 all round..

the JJ 6l6 second

the most sweet cleans came from those str 420's and the JJ's in close second.

the 425 and the 430's are equal sounding really good..just different..
the 425's and the 440 el34's are really good match..

and the 440 EL34 was pretty good sub for the 416's..

So my amp is running..

JJ's preamp's and 4 str 420's or with 2 outer el34's ( 416 or 440's ) or a quad of JJ's ...it's all dependant on what i am doing..

ursinus said:
Please don't be 6L6 snobs :(
These tubes still have plenty of head room for most gigs and have plenty of low end. PLease will you try them.......

Ok..You're right. The 6V6 is one heck of a tube. Like I said in another thread somewhere in the "Amps" forum. That new Orange Rocketverb 50 is a bad mofo.

Schmoog said:
KT88's. they'll rip your **** head off.

can you run 6v6's in a mark III?

You probably could if you dropped the line voltage down. The only way to run 6v6's in the mark iv is on the tweed power setting. It is my understanding that this reduces the overall voltage to the amp allowing for 6v6's to run safely.

Greg

disassembled said:
Schmoog said:
KT88's. they'll rip your head off.

can you run 6v6's in a mark III?

You probably could if you dropped the line voltage down. The only way to run 6v6's in the mark iv is on the tweed power setting. It is my understanding that this reduces the overall voltage to the amp allowing for 6v6's to run safely.

Greg

time to go pick up a variac I guess.....

Man I'm loving these GT 6L6GE's... just used them with my 7 string for the first time and it was just awesome, I'm finally getting the tone I've been after though I attribute 90% of that to the Mark 8)

Latest posts

Back