Mark III+ vs III++

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastorofmuppets

Reaction score
Hello, I’m talking with Mike B about sending my green stripe to get the + mod. He suggested to go straight for the switchable ++ instead. I’ve read about all I can for the + mod, but the ++ inspired by the C++ I’m less familiar with. I understand it’s a gain boost, switchable from the R2 pot, but tone-wise I don’t know so much.
I’ve listened to some videos on youtube, but anyone here with experience with these 2 mods, could you give your impression of the ++ compared to the +? I don’t know if this is an extension of the + mod or entirely separate without needing the + as a prerequisite.
I also wanted a pentode/triode switch but he said he doesn’t do that anymore. He prefers pentode anyways.
Mike B is always busy so he recommended I google and chat on forums for more info.
So anyways, thank you for any help!

Friendly little bump! My amp is with Mike B now, although he said 6-8 week turnaround so plenty of time to wait. Anyone else with experience here who can give their opinions?

I was lucky enough to play my green next to a IIC+ and while I love the III, the IIC+ was different enough and also heavenly! I was surprised to find out it was actually a non-switchable IIC++, I’ve still yet to play a standard IIC+.

I've had a few of all of them. From my seat, the III red/blue/green are already quite a bit more aggressive than a C+ and the III++ takes it a bit too far. It's definitely higher gain, however in the ones I've had the III++ takes something away from the feels.

I've had many IIIs and the III+ have consistently been my favorite.

Also in my view, while the C++ / III++ can be great fun in the bedroom / studio, in the live band I prefer a boosted C+ / III+ to help keep the mix tight.

I would love to know the difference between the two, there doesn't seem to be much information out there on what they actually do. III+ I understand is sort of recreating a IIC+ on the III pcb (correct me if I'm wrong) but the ++ is a mystery.

I have a green mkIII+ and have been very happy w it. GJgo has a good YouTube comp that ultimately led me to go w the + vs the ++. Personal pref I suppose. I play metal/hard rock and find the III+ to have just the right amount of distortion while maintaining the raw attack and clarity these things do best.

For me, the + is just enough. If I had two mkIII’s, I’d do one of each for fun. Great amp though! I don’t think you can go wrong w either mod to be honest. Good luck!

I have a stock DRG Simul 2C+ that I will hit with an Xotic RC booster mainly when I split the coils on the Anderson Cobras, just to gain back some of the volume loss. I would say stick to just the + mod.

I've had a few of all of them. From my seat, the III red/blue/green are already quite a bit more aggressive than a C+ and the III++ takes it a bit too far. It's definitely higher gain, however in the ones I've had the III++ takes something away from the feels.

I've had many IIIs and the III+ have consistently been my favorite.

Also in my view, while the C++ / III++ can be great fun in the bedroom / studio, in the live band I prefer a boosted C+ / III+ to help keep the mix tight.
Thank you for all your info. I didn’t realize your channel was Tighten, I’ve binged so many of your videos. I’m actually looking to pick up a IIB(+) as well. Your videos are killer!

Thank you for all your info. I didn’t realize your channel was Tighten, I’ve binged so many of your videos. I’m actually looking to pick up a IIB(+) as well. Your videos are killer!
Thanks and yeah. :) I know a guy in Canada with a HRGX IIB+ for sale right now. I like them a lot for rhythm sounds.

Thanks and yeah. :) I know a guy in Canada with a HRGX IIB+ for sale right now. I like them a lot for rhythm sounds.
There’s a IIB Mike B loop modded 100/60 with GEQ in the SF bay area I’m looking at as well. Prices definitely aren’t what they used to be. GC also has a Mark III no stripe with what appears to be the 105 transformer, but with no GEQ.

I've had some no-GEQ MkIIs that were phenomenal. More pure tone with less in the circuit. That said I kind of prefer PEQ to GEQ anyway so putting one in the loop isn't a big deal.

All else being equal, I'd take a RP9C IIB+ over a III+. The devil is in the details of course...

I've had some no-GEQ MkIIs that were phenomenal. More pure tone with less in the circuit. That said I kind of prefer PEQ to GEQ anyway so putting one in the loop isn't a big deal.

All else being equal, I'd take a RP9C IIB+ over a III+. The devil is in the details of course...
Your vid comparison on the GEQ in IIC+ loop vs the native GEQ was very enlightening. For those who feel only a "G" will suffice may be missing out on some great deals. My HR with a Mesa GEQ in the loop is pretty amazing.

Latest posts

Back