What cabinets do you use with your Mesa heads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jbird said:
Bluesman said:
jbird said:
I use the Recto Std cab with my Dual Rec. If I had a Stiletto, I'd get the Recto Trad cab! No questions about it! I would'nt put a set of Yugo wheels under my Ferrari! :roll:

That would just mean that you could afford a Farrari and you wanted to be retarded and put silly wheels under a beautiful car. I think the point is, is thaV30's sound great, and they are going to sound great in an Avatar cab, a B52 cab or a Mesa cab. Just depends on how deep your pockets go:)

I just bought the Standard Slant for my Duece so I guess that means that I drive a Ferrari with extra big Ferrari wheels under it!

You understood the first part, but I can't agree with the rest! There are alot of differences in cabinet engineering, design, and materials used that would affect the efficiency of a given speaker! And the point is not about how deep one's pockets are, it's about matching the right components together to achieve a certain tone! Alas, putting bigger wheels under your car does'nt make it better if the wheels don't fit! :idea:

Are you sying that standard cab will take away from the Stilleto. The way the traditional cab will compliment it?

Bluesman said:
Are you sying that standard cab will take away from the Stilleto. The way the traditional cab will compliment it?
Not exactly! I believe Mesa recommends the Traditional cab to be used with the Stilettos! I'm sure it was the cab they used while designing the Stilettos, as to accurately accentuate the nuances of the heads! Therefore, it would probably be my choice! Though, not to take away, it might be cool to have the extra bottom of the Standard cab also! How do you like the way they sound together?

jbird, I will tell you next week, I ordered one from a place out in Kansas, because Guitar Center, and every guitar, music shop in the Virginia Beach area are full of people that I would rather not do business with, but that is another thread-to-be......
I will tell you how it sounds when I get it in.

Anyone want some good folks to buy from that will hook you up decent...... Guitar Source from Overland Park, Kansas, ask for Zack

Best mom and pop Mesa Dealer in the country

I use a mesa traditional (stiletto) straight cab with my Rect-O-Verb and a mesa traditional (stiletto) slant cab with my Dual Rec. I like the tighter low end and increased defenition of the traditional cabs, especially since recto's have plenty of low end to begin with.

I originally owned a Marshall 1960av slant cab with V30's that I used with my Dual Rec. Then I started to hear something rattle around in the cab. I took off the back panel and one of the speakers was missing two screws that held it to the baffle board (they fell to the bottom of the cab) and another speaker had a couple of loose screws. I just feel that the craftsmanship of Marshalls had slipped over the last decade or so, but that's just been my experience. I also think the Mesa's have beefier hardware (metal handles, bigger casters, etc.)

Something else to keep in mind is that the standard recto cab is only a couple of inches taller than the traditional stiletto cab, which means there is a marginal difference in volume within the different cabinets. It's enough to make a difference, but it's not night and day.

Something else to keep in mind is that the standard recto cab is only a couple of inches taller than the traditional stiletto cab, which means there is a marginal difference in volume within the different cabinets. It's enough to make a difference, but it's not night and day.[/quote]

Yeah that kinda what I figured, I have played acoutic for 12 years and 6 months ago got heavy into playing electric, so someone like me that is more or less finding my self, would never be able to tell.

Using 2,2x12 recot cabs for my Trident and a 80's 4x12 for my 3ch.D.R.
Stacking the 2x12 cabs gives some needed mids that you wont find using both2x12's on the floor.
But,anyone ever try the Marshall T.V. cab with the Stiletto? I heard that cab is the only one Marshall makes that is not MDF board. I wanted to also try a Kress cab(find them on E-Bay unloaded for $350),least there totally 13ply birch constructed.

Peace,
~ John ~

Bluesman said:
jbird said:
I use the Recto Std cab with my Dual I think the point is, is thaV30's sound great, and they are going to sound great in an Avatar cab, a B52 cab or a Mesa cab. Just depends on how deep your pockets go:)

you must speak from a total lack of experience with gear, because thats not even close to being correct

Compare a Marshall 1960av, Mesa std, Carvin Legacy, and Avatar

I at one time had all of these cabs in my studio and can tell you, that they DONT sound the same

Hey no soul, correct the previous post, I am not quoted as saying V30's sound the same in various cabs! Thanks!

I use a Recto Std cab with my Dual Rec. I used a 1960a cab for awhile and was very unhappy with the tones coming from it. I dont think its a good fit for the mesa.

no soul said:
Bluesman said:
jbird said:
I use the Recto Std cab with my Dual I think the point is, is thaV30's sound great, and they are going to sound great in an Avatar cab, a B52 cab or a Mesa cab. Just depends on how deep your pockets go:)

you must speak from a total lack of experience with gear, because thats not even close to being correct

Compare a Marshall 1960av, Mesa std, Carvin Legacy, and Avatar

I at one time had all of these cabs in my studio and can tell you, that they DONT sound the same

Actually I do speak from a total lack of experience with cabs in general, never used em....been an acoustic player since I started, so...

I use a Marshall 4x12 cab for now...hopefully getting an Orange 4x12 cab for my Dual Rectifier soon, they sound AMAZING

I run a mixed set up, My 2 Ch Dual Rec goes to a Genz Benz 4X12. Then from the Dual Rec I slave out to the return channel of a Marshall JCM 2K DSL 50W which goes to a Genz Benz 2X12. Both have the stock GB/Emminence 75W speakers. I've ran the bass up all the way on the Dual Rec and had the Deep switch engaged on the Marshall and have yet to fart-out the cabs!

As of now, I use what used to be a carvin open back 2x12 with my subway rocket and mark IIB, but I replaced the speakers with a celestion vintage 30 and a g12h.

I'm waiting to buy an avatar 4x12 with g12h's though.

i'm running my Dual Recto through a Sunn Model T 4x12. It's one of the Fender-made "re-issues" from a few years back. The cab itself seems very heavy-duty and well made (13-ply birch), but it has Celestion G12T-75 speakers, which i don't care for. i'm eventually going to replace them with Vintage 30s.

I run my Dual Rec through a 4x12 Mesa traditional cab. It sounds great! At practice I run it through my old ADA 2x12 cab. In the past I tried it through a Peavey 4x12 with Sheffield speakers and was not impressed with that, the Mesa 4x12 sounded the best out of all the ones I tried.

Rudy

single rectifier -> marshall 1960A. think it sounds good, but would like to have a 2x12 cab of some sort.....maybe a mesa with 3/4 closed back.

jbird said:
Bluesman said:
Not exactly! I believe Mesa recommends the Traditional cab to be used with the Stilettos! I'm sure it was the cab they used while designing the Stilettos, as to accurately accentuate the nuances of the heads! Therefore, it would probably be my choice! Though, not to take away, it might be cool to have the extra bottom of the Standard cab also! How do you like the way they sound together?

Well I got my cab in a week ago and Man I think it sounds awesome with the Std cab! With minor tweaking, I have found everything I could ever want out of this set up, on both channels, in every mode. I dont think I even have a favorite mode or favorite channel. This amp is serious business, yes the Series I! I am sure the Series II will be pretty crazy, but I am really not understanding what the big fit is on this amp head. BAD ***, is all I have to say about the Stiletto.

Peace[/quote]

I just went from an Avatar 2x12 (v30/g12h30) to a Marshall 1960vintage.

Big change.

I like them mixed together
The avatars crunch and midrange + the Marshalls depth and focus.

Right now I'm using a Randall 4x12 and VHT 2x12 with my Road King. The Randall was cheap so I bought it until I get my 6x12 finished. I thought the Randall would sound like **** but it's not that bad. It sounds best when I switch both cabs on channel 4 :shock:
DSCN1046.jpg

Back