Mesa still doing hardwood cabinets?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher65

Reaction score
I was just checking Mesa's site looking at cabinets and amps and options for them and I'm not seeing anything about custom hardwood cabinets and finishes anymore. Did they stop doing that?

I just got a Mark V 90 head and I would like it in a hardwood headshell. I'd consider one from Mesa if they offer it at a reasonable price. If not I'll eventually just build it myself. I'm definitely capable. Just lazy and would rather pay a fair price to have it built and shipped to me.

Yes, but I forgot where I saw it. It's now like a custom shop special order thing. It was pricier, but not insane. Obviously a premium over DIY.

Yup... Morgan Music Service - MESA BOOGIE

Not my favorite shop only because they offer "trades" where they give you 25% of the value of what your item will probably sell for and I wasn't game.

Last edited:
I asked Mesa and their reply was "Not now, we're too busy, we're swamped with orders for new amps! try back in a month!"

Glad to see they're busy.

Just to be clear about it, I'm looking for a new hardwood headshell, not looking to buy another Mark V 90.

I asked Mesa and their reply was "Not now, we're too busy, we're swamped with orders for new amps! try back in a month!"

Glad to see they're busy.

Just to be clear about it, I'm looking for a new hardwood headshell, not looking to buy another Mark V 90.
I did see a third party that offers this in Canada the other day while trying to see if anyone else had ever sold a hardwood MK1 RI on Reverb.

I haven't found a third party that lists Mark V headshells so far. If I bothered to clean up my garage enough, I could absolutely make my own, but cleaning up that mess....yikes.

I'll see if I can find what I was looking at the other day. Might still be on my Reverb feed or search history.

Edit: They don't have anything for a Mark V... but I pointed them to this thread in case they might be willing to offer something like that.

For straight Premier Hardwoods you're looking at roughly $1700. For Reserve add another $500. You have to call the factory to order. Long lead-times (12-18 weeks)

So I'm ready to build my own Mark V 90 headshell. I've built cabinets and headshells before, it's not a problem.

I bought two boards of some truly NICE flamed maple, sequential cuts off the same log, and they'll give me a wrap-around cabinet plus the off-cuts are actually big enough and nice enough for two carved top Les Paul style guitars, with single piece tops. Bonus!

I may start as early as this weekend.

I have the option to build the cabinet a little deeper than standard, front to back, and use that extra space to engineer a way to store the footswitch in the back of the cabinet, like Mesa did on the Mark IV. I really wish they'd included that very nifty feature on the Mark V and Mark VII.

Latest posts

Back