using equivalent tubes, is it possible?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sander78

Reaction score
Hi!,
I'm wondering if I could replace my 12ax7 pre amp tubes by equivalent types. Most (radio) engineers wil say it is equivalent so, yes...(just like transistors).
The reason I ask is because I’m thinking of replacing my pre amp tubes in my mesa caliber 50+ because I have allot of feedback when I use a high gain at a high volume on the lead channel.
They are somewhat expensive though, and now a college of mine showed me his collection of new and used tubes which he collects as it were stamps
I didn’t find the 12ax7 type but I did found allot of the ECC83 and 12DT7 which according to this site: http://www.hupse.nl/radio/tubes/12AX7.htm should be equivalent.

Does any one of you have experience with this?

ecc83 is exactly the same as a 12ax7 just another name for the same kind of tube

Amperex, Brimar, EI, Electro Harmonix, Fender, Fisher, Fivre, GE, Groove, HH Scott, JJ, Mojo, Mullard, Philips, Raytheon, RCA, RFT, Ruby, SED, Siemens, Sovtek, Swetlana, Sylvania, Telefunken, Tesla, Tung-Sol, Tungsram, Westinghouse.

Good lord !!! It's like Heaven. I would be all over the RFT's, Telefunkens, Phillips, Sylvania, Amperex, Brimars and I am wiping up the slobber from the Mullards. Some of those Fender, Fisher, HH Scott and Westinghouse are usually relabels of the other NOS tubes.

Sweet. :D

I use a 12AU7 in my V1. Smooths out the lead channel somewhat, and makes the other channel sparkle.

edit- also consider that a great high-gain low volume setting won't necessarily sound good when you turn up the master volume. I know I have to reduce highs and presence and reverb when I turn up. It's not unusual for a Boogie to go into oscillation when too much gain is applied at high volume. Just play with the amp, it's very flexable so it can get out of control.

I'm curious if anyone has tried these conversion power tubes in a Mark series amp yet,

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/6BG6.html

If they would work it would be a new supply of 7581A's

Latest posts

Back