tungsol EL34B anyone try em yet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put some EL34B's into my Ace over the weekend and I'm toltally happy :D . The harsher, ice pickiness is gone, replace by a rounder and smoother bite. Don't get me wrong...all the hi gain is still there in truck loads, but it's not as sterile or steely sounding. I definitely recommend these. I'll be putting my stock Mesa's aside for spares.

Also, while I was foolin' around in there, I put a TungSol 12AX7 into the V1 slot. Mmmm...It just added to the muicality of my Ace. :mrgreen: I'm a happy jammer now!!!

You're the 3rd person to be happy with a TS in V1. I need to try some different tubes in that slot! I tried a NOS RFT but it was TOO dark (and mushy)...

And I agree with your assessment of the EL34Bs BTW... :D

I have a pair of these for sale. I think I used them for maybe an hour or so. Ordered from tube depot and I made sure they knew they were for a Mesa amp. I have decided to stick with my SED's. I will be posting in the classifieds.

jhguitar1 said:
I have a pair of these for sale. I think I used them for maybe an hour or so. Ordered from tube depot and I made sure they knew they were for a Mesa amp. I have decided to stick with my SED's. I will be posting in the classifieds.

I'm considering trying EL34's in my Roadster and was wondering what made you stick with the SED's over the Tung-Sol's.

BTW- The SED =C= 6L6 is my favorite 6L6 in this amp, so I was naturally leaning towards the SED EL34's.

Dom

I decided to stick with the 6L6's mainly because the other guitar player in my band is playing out of a Marshall JVM. The mix of Marshall and Mesa is great!! Plus, I have been spending too much time trying to refine my tone. I love my current tone and figured, if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? I'm in 2 bands and want to spend more time on them rather than tubes.
If you get the SED EL34, let me know how they sound. The tone freak in me is always curious, lol.

rocksalt7 said:
Put some EL34B's into my Ace over the weekend and I'm toltally happy :D . The harsher, ice pickiness is gone, replace by a rounder and smoother bite. Don't get me wrong...all the hi gain is still there in truck loads, but it's not as sterile or steely sounding. I definitely recommend these. I'll be putting my stock Mesa's aside for spares.

Also, while I was foolin' around in there, I put a TungSol 12AX7 into the V1 slot. Mmmm...It just added to the muicality of my Ace. :mrgreen: I'm a happy jammer now!!!

I have ordered a pair of Tungsol EL34Bs for my Ace, along with a few TS 12AX7s for V1, V2 and V5 in the preamp. I recently spoke to an amp tech and he mentioned that you can't just plug a 3rd party tube into a boogie due to the fixed bias being possibly incompatible with the different tube. Is this a concern? From what I can gather it was a simple swap out for you right, no need to mod the bias or anything crazy like that?

kabal said:
rocksalt7 said:

I have ordered a pair of Tungsol EL34Bs for my Ace, along with a few TS 12AX7s for V1, V2 and V5 in the preamp. I recently spoke to an amp tech and he mentioned that you can't just plug a 3rd party tube into a boogie due to the fixed bias being possibly incompatible with the different tube. Is this a concern? From what I can gather it was a simple swap out for you right, no need to mod the bias or anything crazy like that?
Yes it is a concern. When ordering non-Mesa POWER tubes for a Mesa, you should specify which amp you have. Reputable tube sellers (Dougs, Eurotubes, etc..) will know which tubes to sell you. You could also buy Groove Tubes power tubes with distortion rating 4 through 6. These fit into Mesa's fixed bias scheme. Preamp tubes are not a concern.

After being a long time 6L6 guy, I switched to the Winged C EL34's and the clarity and punch the amp has now is unreal. Love them.

Latest posts

Back