This is why you don't replace a fuse with one of a higher va

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey383

Reaction score
Opened up my DR to install a bias pot. Happened to find this:

0209091615.jpg

Got to wondering why the fuse had not blown when the resistor went. I've owned this amp for 3 years and haven't had any problems with it. Opened the fuse holder to find this:

0212090904.jpg

It's hard to distinguish, but that says 25, not 250V. Apparently, it did blow at some point...before I owned the amp and the previous owner stuck this fuse in it. The circuit breaker in a house would trip before this fuse blew. Then you would be wondering why you are tripping a breaker.

Don't replace fuses with higher values! Your amp is trying to tell you something is wrong!

Any questions?

Old BF Shred said:
This is your amp......

And this is your amp on ignorant, mis-informed ownership........
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:

No kidding. I'm making it a point to go through every used amp I buy with a fine comb before it gets plugged in from now on.

This just kills me. I've been running that amp for 3 years with a fried screen resistor and a 25A fuse, and had no clue. I had no reason to check the fuse, since the amp worked and I only ran the 2 inside tubes (the fried resistor was on the outside socket), so I didn't even suspect a problem.

I shake my head whenever I see a blown fuse wrapped in aluminum foil or some other brainless attempt to 'get it working' regardless of the consequences...

Good find and great advice!

Latest posts

Back