Mesa Mark III - R2 vol mod with 1 M pot - howard fan alternatives

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoreM86

Reaction score
Hello everybody, greetings from Italy!
I own a wonderfull mark III green stripe DRG export combo, it's dated 1992.
I really love this amp and recently I've put in on the bench to fix the master pot, which wasn't working properly (crackles, jump and loss of volumes).
I'd say the previous owner had already the lead drive pot swapped, so I've ordered two original pots for the master and the lead drive, just to keep things tidy.
While I was there, with the amp opened, I decided to do some mods, in particular the III+ and the R2 volume mod. Being a green stripe the III+ (at least the simplified version I could find online) resulted only in C30 missing, so my plan was to install a push pull pot to engage/disengage C30 while controlling R2 vol.
At the moment I've available the old master 250k log pot and the lead drive 1 M log pot. The 250k would be best as far as I've read but no matter how much I try to clean it up, it stills reads faulty with lots of random shorts.
What should I expect if I would install the 1M log pot instead of the 250 to control R2 vol?

Last question, I found the howard stock fan a bit noisy. I've just opened it up and cleaned (wow, this thing's heavy!) but I was wondering if there are some alternatives on the european market, maybe quiter and lighter. I'm planning to transform my combo into a head, so for sure I'll try to dumpen the connection but as I'm here... Would a ball bearings fan running at 220 for 2850 rpm (like the Sunon DP200A2123XBL) be a good replacement? I'd say that with the lower voltage I should expect 1400/1500 rpm...

I hope my writing will result understandable.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back