The useless boogie trivia thread.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boogies run on smoke, which is trapped inside each amp.
If you let the smoke out, they stop working.

Yeah I can see what you're saying. Ignore the clean one. The one with the 5AR4 out the back is the Recto, the one to the left of that is the IV.

Elpelotero said:
So on the middle shelf, from left to right there's 4 amps. A clean silver amp, 2 rusted, and a black. You're saying the silver one is a recto? The one with the 5ar4 also seems like it could be recto.

That picture is worth a thousand words. Tell us more about it.

phyrexia said:
No, not R001, that was the first production amp...

1stiv1strecto.JPG

IV on the right, Recto on the left

Shame they are just gathering dust....

MrMarkIII said:
Boogies run on smoke, which is trapped inside each amp.
If you let the smoke out, they stop working.

Replacement smoke is not cheap either, as I let the smoke out of my '85 (twice) . http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15935 :lol: :lol:

What's interesting to me about that picture is that the first recto used a 5AR4/GZ34 tube, not a 5u4g or 5u4gb. This leads me to believe they were really aiming for that super fast, no sag, shred tone.

I was told there are 3 versions of Mark IV's: the A, the early B and the regular B, and that the best sounding are the early B's which are the ones that don't have the detachable power cord.

Best regards.

Likewise, there are infinite types of original Mark I's... with the early ones being kind of "prototypes" on themselves. However, by 1976 or 1977, they settled down into what you could call the "late I's" which were consistant and better sounding.

Best regards.

I was also told that the closest sounding to the IIC+ is the Mark IVA. Second place goes for the III red and/or the III green, depending on each one's taste and ears.

Disclaimer: these 3 posts talk about products that are no longer in production. I won't post comments heard about products that are still in production (where Mesa competes with itself).
Best regards.

igfraso said:
I was told there are 3 versions of Mark IV's: the A, the early B and the regular B, and that the best sounding are the early B's which are the ones that don't have the detachable power cord.
Interesting, since I have a B with an attached cord. I haven't had a chance to a/b it with another M4...

Serial number of my early B, is 6,100 and I have seen another one with S/N around 7,800.
FWIW.

Just a little guess about how many Mark series amps were built so far (Mark I to IV), using Ian's info:

- 28,400 heads and 1x12 combos (Mark I to III)
- 1,100 1x15 combos (Mark I to III)
- 500 Series 300 Coliseum
- 100 Mark III special edition
- 3,000 SOB (approx.)
- 2,500 Mark I reissue (approx.)
- 13,000 Mark IV (approx.)

Total: approximately 48,600 Mark series amps

Latest posts

Back