Putting together a Mark III Guide

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the question is should it be possible to effectively have a purple stripe modded by a local tech into a blue or red stripe for fairly cheap? I already know I would be looking to do the R2 volume mod and the amp might need a general servicing as well, so the stripe conversion would be easy to tack on as long as it was possible and should not cost much. I live in Houston and Mesa has a certified repair center that is nearby, so that was my thought to save on shipping costs into Mesa. If that would be required, then I’ll just continue to wait for the perfect model to pop up. But I the ability to buy now and return if needed has its merits.

My advice would be to buy a purple stripe (or anything else you want) and send it to Mike B to get whatever you want done to it. No-one else should be doing this unless you live on the other side of the planet. Even 'authorised' repair places. Just send it to Mike :) He'll be able to advise on whatever you need and do the work including the R2 mod/service/anything else. You can also usually just ship the chassis to save on shipping costs rather than the whole amp.

Agree with send it to Mesa and buy the stripe you want. I've played on all the stripes and they sound different enough.
Personally I wouldn't do it any other way.

So here's something new to consider. I just acquired this amp, and I can find zero references to the CP1H. Ever heard of it? This is my 8th Mark III and I have to say this one has some feels that the others didn't have, save for maybe the early no stripe III+ SG.

- Blue stripe s/n 2837X, dated 7/99, preamp CP1H

It'll cost me some money but I'd like to eventually have one Mark III of every stripe color. Even better if they're all in the same configuration. (DRG)

So here's something new to consider. I just acquired this amp, and I can find zero references to the CP1H. Ever heard of it? This is my 8th Mark III and I have to say this one has some feels that the others didn't have, save for maybe the early no stripe III+ SG.

- Blue stripe s/n 2837X, dated 7/99, preamp CP1H
7/99? On a mark iii? That seems late. I'd call Boogie and see if one of the old guys can explain, you might have a unicorn there

The coli numbers are not correct but GJ has just about the last blue stripe made.

Attachments

• mkIIIdates.JPG
    mkIIIdates.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 0
Just out of curiosity, how much does a blue stripe go for these days? I'm potentially looking to sell mine to fund another amplifier endeavor.

I have one of the first DRG III's if you need help ID'ing anything. This one has the 105 Transformer. SN:15128

Attachments

• IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 0
Just picked up a Green Stripe DRG from May 1994 with the CP1H preamp board

Attachments

• IMG_9625.jpeg
    IMG_9625.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9626.jpeg
    IMG_9626.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9627.jpeg
    IMG_9627.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9628.jpeg
    IMG_9628.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9629.jpeg
    IMG_9629.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 0
Is this where I should be to get someone to build me a mark iii purple?
I don't think the factory is taking any more requests to build a purple stripe.

With a couple thousand sold you are in luck that you don't have to wait for someone to build you one tho.

You could always send Gibson an email every day as a different sender stating how you would pay them insane money if they offer a Mark III mod shop - any stripe, power section, preamp, tolex, dummy light color, and maybe they will force Petaluma to do a re-issue mod shop for 4 times what the amp is worth before they realize you were the only person willing to pay for it.

No?

Back