The Ultimate Mark I - Keef's!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiewan Kenobi

Reaction score
Folks,

Just sitting here toning out with my "new" Mark I.

Playing along with Side 3 of Love You Live - "is everything alright in the critic's section??

Have a look -

http://web.mac.com/mesaboogie/iWeb/Site/Keef%20Boogie.html

So much mojo in his amp!

Enjoy the photos!

BWK

Very nice looking amp ... a classic with some mojo.

Looks like it might have the "fetron" in the V1 slot instead of a 12AX7 ... like my '78 did.

I always liked the sound of the amp before the fetron began to fail. I played the amp for 25 years before discovering the fetron. Since they didn't make them anymore, I had to rewire the amp to use the 12AX7. The fetron was designed to help guys playing at extremely high volumes w/o getting microphonic 12AX7 V1s.

Be interesting to take the tube cap off the V1 and take a look. It the fetron's in there, it's about half the height of a 12AX7 and no glass. I could be wrong.

kdove,

V1 is a 12AX7. This amp would have come with a Fetron but this was replaced. My other 1977 Mark I A1146 had one.

BWK

This is the single best post I've seen since joining this forum! That particular side of that particular album is one of my favorites for so many reasons, but Tone is one of them. I had no idea Keith was playing that amp and how cool that you ended up with it. WOW. I knew one of Ronnie's favorites was the Mark III Blue Stripe, hence the reason I picked one up, I love his sound. I got into Boogies later than most, and not because of the metal craze but more for the pure rock sound, ala stones. Your amp is just so cool.

I wonder how much different it sounds compared to an early Mark IIA?

The whole fetron thing has me intrigued. I am toying with buying a beat up Mark IIA with the fetron and sending to Mike B to have it cleaned up. Mike B said he could replace the fetron with a tube, but now that I see your amp, i'm inclined to leave it in. Great post, great pics, great amp.

What a score .
Is that a smoke burn on the top ?
That's too cool .
Thank's fer sharin' .
8) 8) 8)
If there was a smiley for envy ........

carlosasi said:
The whole fetron thing has me intrigued. I am toying with buying a beat up Mark IIA with the fetron and sending to Mike B to have it cleaned up. Mike B said he could replace the fetron with a tube, but now that I see your amp, i'm inclined to leave it in. Great post, great pics, great amp.

He actually said it had the 12AX7 in this amp instead of the fetron. I just thought I noticed the V1 not having the glass tip sticking out of the tube cover in the pictures. It also looked like it had a couple of the caps that mine had in the pix that were designed for the fetron. But I was mistaken.

But this is one of the coolest posts I've seen here.

OOOOHHHH! I get it now. Funny thing is the amp I'm thinking of buying doesn't have the fetron anyway. I think it is a IIB serial #3316

The cig burn on top is great. I didn't know he used the amp on his solo albums and tour. I was in the front row at the Orpheum in Boston in '93. Unbelievable show. I've seen the stones 20 times live, but Keith at the Orpheum was the best.

Beautiful amp, and a great score, by the way. I love the battle scars and aged wicker. I wonder, was it the nicotine or THC that made that wicker darken so nicely. FWIW, this post made me visit the wonderful world of vintage MkI today. Mid-gain heaven :D :D :D :D .

"Some Girls" and "Emotional Rescue" are two of my favorite Stones albums. You're a lucky lucky man.

BWK,
You gotta tell the story of how the amp got from Keef to you. Why did he have V4 taken out?

DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQYbbxNwo0

Beautiful amp!
Loved the winos .Here's a cool video from them.
A few Boogies and some other amp :p

And again here is your little boogie hangin out stage left with Keith and the Wino's on stage at SNL. I've watched this video 100's of times, one of my favorites. Listen to that little Boogie BARK on the opening notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8GmTuK4wPA&feature=related

You must tell us how you ended up with this amp. I know Keith's changed over to custom Fenders lately. (must have been repercussions from his concussion) But why did he forsake his little Boogie?

I was spending sooo much time with the Keef Boogie, I missed these posts!! No really, my laptop HD died!!

The story of this amp is great Karma!! RCS received a call in Lagunitas back in 1976 from an English chap one Wednesday morning, and this fellow was non other than Ian Stewart - Stones piano player! He mentioned that George Harrison had shown Keith his Mark I and Keith was really interested in getting one. After much talk, it was realized that Randy didn't give them away - everyone had to pay! So Keith comes on the line and tells Randy " hey man, I don't pay money to play other cat's gear..." Randy - quick on his feet, responds to Keith that since the Stones were going on tour, they could by the amps and write them off as a business expense, and if they didn't liek them, the could sell them at a time when the were worth more onthe open market, and Keith could use that tax free money to buy drugs!! Keith cackled and said "cool man" and then a week later ordered and paid for a boat load of Mark I amps!

The amps were all Mark I 60/100 Reverb, EQ Export models with Altec 417-8H Series II speakers. They were completed in early 1977 and Randy took them himself up to Toronto for the El Mocambo Gig in March 1977!

From there, the amps were used on the road and in Paris for Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You and later sessions!

More to follow!!

Latest posts

Back