The Bold/Spongy Switch Question!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMatt

Reaction score
OK, The Bold/Spongy Switch Question!!!

Do I have to turn the amp off to switch from Bold to Spongy or can I just flip the switch while playing? I didn't see anything mentioned in the manual about this. Is it ok? I always powered down when switching because I thought it would "shock" the tubes because of the quick power increase/decrease.

I noticed that the Roadster has the switch riding in the front panel, the RK's have them in the back. Can the Roadster do this and the RK cannot? I'm sure there are no differences, but the switch on the RK's looked like the type that said "Don't touch me until I'm off!" kinda thing. Silly huh!?

-Matt-

I always put my amp in standby before making any sort of switch on the back, whether it be for the loop, the rectifier switch, the power variac, etc.

I don't *think* it's required but I had an issue on another amp (non-mesa) once blowing a fuse so I just started doing it as a common practice.

On my roadster, I just flip it without going to standby. In fact, I've been swithcing everything, back and front, without going to standby. It would probably be better to go to standby first just to be safe.

I go to standby first. On the RK II, it blows my circuit breaker if I dont so there is a definate draw in amperage when switching. The only time I ever blew a fuse on a Recto was when switching from diode to tube with a bad rectifier tube. Other than that, the amps are bullets.

on the LSC, the amp HAS to transition through "OFF" when switching to/from bold/tweed because of the way the 3-pos switch is wired.

I was told by MB that you do not have to put the amp on standby, just switch.........

boogiemon said:
on the LSC, the amp HAS to transition through "OFF" when switching to/from bold/tweed because of the way the 3-pos switch is wired.

Same thing with the roadster head.

Boogiebabies said:
I go to standby first. On the RK II, it blows my circuit breaker if I dont so there is a definate draw in amperage when switching. The only time I ever blew a fuse on a Recto was when switching from diode to tube with a bad rectifier tube. Other than that, the amps are bullets.

You are right . They are made well . Im sure you can get by switching without the standby engaged .

I've always switched without going to standby, but I'll probably start after reading a few of these post. Thanks for the input (even though this isn't my thread).

Latest posts

Back