Taming feedback on Stiletto...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true Silverwulf....I've found the same thing...people that say EMGs sound the same in every guitar have to be smoking something :p

I'll be messing with the amp tonight....hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.

Does your preamp tubes have the metal noise shields? That could be a culprit if it's not a tube itself.

I should have been more clear in my first post, my stiletto feeds back, but like it should.. it certainly isn't a squeal so I would def check out the preamp tubes as has been suggested.

Definitely will!

Question for you though....would tapping on them bring out the "bad" tube in this case? Or do I just have to swap one by one?

Thanks!

hmmm... if you can turn your amp up all the way (with your guitar volume off or not plugged in) without any feedback or squealing, then it is not a tube problem. guitars just feedback and squeal under high gain situations, more likely when one is close to the speakers, but it can still happen 20ft away if your lucky 8) . i say get any noise gate and throw it in the loop. that way it kills your feedback and your preamp sizzle as well. i know your crazy about the ISP, but i actually like the NS-2 better for metal and high gain even though it robs a minuscule amount of tone.

btw, how are you liking the stiletto compared to the mark iv?

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Stiletto.....it does exactly the sound that's been in my head since I bought my Dual Rectifier years ago.

Finally found it!

And I appreciate that input....I was too under the impression that if a preamp tube went microphonic, it would make noise even with the guitar volume down.

Any other suggestions!

guitardude05 said:
hmmm... if you can turn your amp up all the way (with your guitar volume off or not plugged in) without any feedback or squealing, then it is not a tube problem. guitars just feedback and squeal under high gain situations, more likely when one is close to the speakers, but it can still happen 20ft away if your lucky 8) . i say get any noise gate and throw it in the loop. that way it kills your feedback and your preamp sizzle as well. i know your crazy about the ISP, but i actually like the NS-2 better for metal and high gain even though it robs a minuscule amount of tone.

btw, how are you liking the stiletto compared to the mark iv?

Not sure about this... Preamp tubes can tend toward feedback. It doesn't mean the tube is fullblown microphonic, but it'll squeal easier than other tubes. I've found Tung Sol's to be terrible for this. IMO, try a couple of different 12AX7's in V1 and V2 and see if it gets better. I'm a big fan of the 9th gen Chinese tubes that are sold under the Penta Labs label. They're fairly cheap as well.

With my Stiletto ACE I had, I ran into the same issue. I had a LOT of unwarranted feedback at higher gain/volume levels, more so than any of my Rectos ever had. It wasn't microphonic tubes or any technical issues...it was just a high gain amp feeding back naturally the way it could/should, albeit a little more than I liked.

I stuck a BOSS NS-2 in front of the amp and it killed all the noise for me. For whatever reason, my Stilettos (I've had 3) were always inherently noisier amps than my old Rectos.

to get back on topic yes! the isp pedal is awesome!! if your gonna use it like a pedal(turn on for distorted tones and off for clean tones) don`t bother with the g-string model. but if your gonna put it in a rack drawer or something i`d check into the g-string.

I use a Boss NS-2 that prevents any unwanted feedback. Pre-head chain:

Guitar --> crybaby ---> NS-2 --> Boss Stereo Chorus (in NS-2's loop) ---> back to NS-2 (loop return) ---> Dual Recto

Inside my DR loop I have a 31 band EQ and my Behringer Denoiser.....and my ADA which I dont power on anymore.....yet.

I prefer the denoiser rack I have, it works great but doesnt stop the feedback in extreme scenarios (super high volume and too close to amp), so I fall back on the NS-2, and still use the denoiser as a second gate in my loop, cleans up any unwanted hum and hiss, and can work as a second layer of filtering, so I dont have to use the NS-2 for everything. I can turn it off, so I can keep some sustain or clean channel without it getting eaten by the feedback destroying settings I use on the NS-2.

I dont know why so many people are blowing off input regarding pickups, I have met many players who have crap *** pickups who dont feed back, but when they try to play my custom les paul they feed back like nuts, because of the awesome frequency response they are not used to. Pickups make a big difference in the feedback game.

Latest posts

Back