Stiletto's Slave Jack - Is Cable-direct Recording Viable?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iansblues

Reaction score
Does anyone know (from actual experience) if the Stiletto's Slave jack can produce a signal suitable for cable-direct recording? If so, please specify an example set-up. We are currently debugging our cables, in case our thin, distorted (not faithful) signal is due to line noise. We plan to use mikes for the real sessions, but wonder if the cable-direct approach is viable for idea-development away from the studio. Thanks for any feedback.

nada, no good, no way. i hope you have a cab connected when you are slaving, you need a speaker load on the amp at all times when the standby is off.

you could try running the slave signal through a speaker emulator, but the raw tone off the transformer just isnt going to sound nice straight onto tape/harddrive without some sort of buffer.

Thanks for the warning of possible mistakes. We have continued to run the cab to ensure a proper load. The manual only mentions the Slave out to other forms of amps, but we were hoping the signal happens to also be a faithful line-out representation of the whole signal path. Our mikes will work fine for us. Thanks for your help.

iansblues said:
...we were hoping the signal happens to also be a faithful line-out representation of the whole signal path.

Well, it IS up to a point...the cab and speakers being that point.

+1 on the cab emulator, it should work fine. Then again the best way to get mic'ed speaker tone is to mic a speaker, right?

If you're talking about "idea development", then the overall sound wouldn't be all the crucial until you are actually laying tracks. I use a cheap Korg modeler for my "idea development", but I would think that using the line out on a THD Hot plate would be better than using a slave out......But even if you use the slave out & have no cabinent, at least attenuate the speaker load with a Hot Plate or some thing simular.

One problem with doing that is the level of signal from that output. It might be too hot to go straight into a mixer or some other line level device...though if you keep the master low enough it might work. But even then, you're going to need some pretty heavy EQ to get a decent sound...though some have had decent results running it into something like a POD, bypassing the preamp and just using the speaker cab sims...you could also add an EQ pedal somewhere in there...but it's a lot of work if you can mic easily enough.

One more thing to try would be the Behringer Ultra-G DI...goes between the amp and speaker and has an XLR line out with an optional 4x12 cab voicing switch. I've not tried one myself, but have heard some things recorded that way that sounded pretty good...and the users seem to like them. They're only like $35, so you don't have much to loose by trying one. Of course, your speaker is still hooked up, so it's not a solution for silent recording.

Latest posts

Back