Steves Special Vs. D Sonic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTE

Reaction score
Ive got an ibanez rg1570 with a steves special in the bridge, and its perfect for the tone im looking for, but one problem, i cant keep it under control!!!

On any volume past bedroom it tends to feedback too much even when im not facing the amp. Its not too much gain because on my other guitars they are quiet.

Is this the manner of the pickup itself? or did i screw up the wiring somehow?

If that is what the pickup does haha, i would probably want to switch it. What are the tonal differences between the SS and the dsonic? and does the dsonic feedback like that?

I prefer the SS (or at least the custom wound version in my JP) over the D Sonic. I tried a DS in my JP and it was too bright! It was too much contrast from the neck to the bridge. I could not EQ my amp to make both sound good. The pickup should not feedback like crazy like that. Mine does not at all. A DS would do it even more since it is brighter and a little hotter.

I have an old RG 570, which might be the 2570 now (or the 1570) i dunno, with a SS in the bridge, its been there for 8 years.. maybe more, no feedback issues, (actually i have that pickup in 3 guitars) the only time i get feed back is if i am on lead (of my 5150 ii) and hit the maxon 808. Otherwise, if that boost isnt on, it doesnt feed back (at normal volumes for appropriate distances) unless i force it too...

check the wiring or your gain levels.

shredd6 said:
One thing you can try with the Steve's special is to take the pickup and turn it 180 and see what happens. When I bought mine, there was an explanation that the two coils are different, and it matters which one faces the bridge or the neck. Try that first, see if it helps.
Isnt that the dsonic? cause the two coils on the SS look exactly alike

no, i believe you haha, i remember briefly reading that on harmony central. Doesnt really matter now, because im probably going to trade my rg for a 7 string

LTE said:
shredd6 said:
One thing you can try with the Steve's special is to take the pickup and turn it 180 and see what happens. When I bought mine, there was an explanation that the two coils are different, and it matters which one faces the bridge or the neck. Try that first, see if it helps.
Isnt that the dsonic? cause the two coils on the SS look exactly alike

I believe it's the D-Sonic. Solid bar to the inside is warmer, brighter to the outside.

well, I find D-sonic has more mid and punch in comparison to Steve's. Both are fantastic but now I use Dsonic in 7 and 6 string version in Carvin DC400. I put solid bar as John Petrucci does in his MMs, near the bridge in 7 and reverse in 6.

Latest posts

Back