Simul-Class v Non-Simul-Class

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macstrat said:
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a Mark III combo here in the UK (why must Boogies be SO expensive here ?) and wanted people's opinions on Simul-class. Is it significantly better than a non-Simul-class amp, and what are the differences tonally ?
Also, I saw another post which described the Mk III clean tone as being similar to a DC-5. This worries me a bit as I sold a DC-3 because I wasn't crazy about the clean tone. Is the DC-3 clean the same as the DC-5 (6L6s v EL84s would make a difference I think) and is the other post accurate ?
Thanks for any advice,
MacStrat

1.It's not better at all .Simulclass is just different. I like it and so do a lot of other guys. But I've also heard 60 watt mark 3's that sounded just fine and very cool in their own way because with only two output tubes, they were easier to crank up. As mentioned, the Simulclass design / components seem to make for a smoother sounding amp compared to non simul. Again, this can be a preference thing as far as what is better.

2. I haven't played any of the DC series amps so I can't help there. Sorry.

macstrat said:
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a Mark III combo here in the UK (why must Boogies be SO expensive here ?) and wanted people's opinions on Simul-class. Is it significantly better than a non-Simul-class amp, and what are the differences tonally ?
Also, I saw another post which described the Mk III clean tone as being similar to a DC-5. This worries me a bit as I sold a DC-3 because I wasn't crazy about the clean tone. Is the DC-3 clean the same as the DC-5 (6L6s v EL84s would make a difference I think) and is the other post accurate ?
Thanks for any advice,
MacStrat

Hi macstrat,

Simul vs. Non-Simul is difference in tone ...which is "better" is up to your ears :)

I also have owned and actively used a DC5 (live) for many years. It's clean is, IMHO, superb and easily one of the best I've used. Very dynamic, tight, sparkley ...simply beautiful, which is why I still own/use it despite other amps falling by the wayside. And is is definitely a world apart from the DC3. The 3's smaller cab, V30 spkr, and EL84s lend the amp a totally different character. By contrast, the DC5 and 10's larger cab, MC90 spkr, and 6L6 power section give the cleans girth and fullness that is wholly different from the DC3. Again, which is "better" is up to you ...guess which I prefer ;)

I also have a MKIII Simul in green stripe. Its cleans are amazing. Like the DC5, it is "big" sounding with tight, focused bottom and clear, beautifully defined mids and highs. The MKIII, however, has much more pure/spanky-clean headroom, and is capable of more brightness. I still use the DC more, as my cleans are never all that "clean," so the DC's mild breakup and dynamics are more "me" (not that the III's is bad). But were I more country, surf, or a spanky clean player, the MKIII would definitely be my first choice. Hope this helps you.

Edward

Thanks Edward, that's incredibly useful. It really sounds like a MkIII is the one for me as I want the headroom. The Simul-Class vs non-Simul-Class question isn't so much of an issue by the sounds of it so that's reassuring. If I ever get the chance to compare the two I will, but in the meantime I'll take my chances with what comes up.
Thanks all for the replies to this thread. It's really helped me. Cheers.

Actually my Simul-Satellie is wired for Pentode, much like the Green-Stripe Mark III. Sounds fine to me, but it grows a pair of balls in simul-class mode. I run KT66's in it and I love the sound.

I had a non simulclass Mk lll 60w super 60 (as they were called in the UK) and it paled in comparison to the simulclass. I use mainly clean sounds and the simulclass gave more headroom and was much more detailed. The super 60 was slightly thinner sounding, almost like a silverface twin at vol. 2.

edward said:
macstrat said:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for any advice,
MacStrat

Hi macstrat,

Simul vs. Non-Simul is difference in tone ...which is "better" is up to your ears :)

If you want to hear an "approximation" to a Simul-Class, you may want to get your 100/60 watt, run it in 100 W and plug the combo amplifier into the 4 ohm socket.
Regards

Latest posts

Back