Mark 3 simul-class for sale question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a Mark III very early no stripe, 105pt, combo in white tolex/black grille with EV. D, modified last year to DG, R2 and ++ by Mike B. I paid $4k. Overpaid? Possibly, probably. I love the amp though, and I essentially have a fresh, "new" Mark III that will last me as long as I choose to keep it. I see stock amps priced similarly with no maintenance or modding performed. Nothing wrong if someone wants a stock amp, or wants to keep theirs stock, that's their business. I just think about pricing from the standpoint of the potential buyer...if the asking or selling prices were the same, would I rather have the fresh, updated version, or the stock version? Only the buyer can answer that question for themselves.
Great points. When I bought this simul-class, I called Rich Duvall, at Mesa to get the mods done, and he told me that now that Gibson is in charge, Mesa (and more specifically Mike Bendanelli) is no longer doing any mods. So I was unable to get the mods done by Mesa.

The main point for me with this amp is that it is so beautiful, really like new, that I can't take it to gig. It would get trashed no matter how careful I am. It's too nice to gig.

I gig with my Bludotone, which is one hell of an amp itself, basically a Dumble ODS (Larry Carlton and Santana play Bludotones instead of their old Dumbles, for example) So if I'm not going to gid it, what's the point of keeping it in the bedroom?

If Mike was still doing the mods, maybe I would do, but now with the Bludotone as number one, maybe it's better to send it to the right person who will cherish it as it deserves to be.

I overpaid for a blue stripe on Reverb not too long ago, $4k. It was a mint condition HRG hardwood combo with 415 power tubes, a 12L, and a road case. Even had the original spare preamp tube and came with the footswitches. It must've been worth it to me at the time, but I don't think I'd do it again. I wanted something undoctored for what I was trying to accomplish, it was probably anomalous in terms of general market so don't let that one skew your pricing thoughts
I think I saw your sold listing, I remember the road case. that's the one I was using as the reference point for the 4K sold listing. The other two listings were for $3 and $3+ K sold prices. and none were even remotely close to the condition of mine. Mine has the spare tube too. ;-)

I wouldn't mind dropping the price or accepting OBO. Honestly, I don't need the money particularly, but I do need the space and want to see it get played.

Great points. When I bought this simul-class, I called Rich Duvall, at Mesa to get the mods done, and he told me that now that Gibson is in charge, Mesa (and more specifically Mike Bendanelli) is no longer doing any mods. So I was unable to get the mods done by Mesa.

The main point for me with this amp is that it is so beautiful, really like new, that I can't take it to gig. It would get trashed no matter how careful I am. It's too nice to gig.

I gig with my Bludotone, which is one hell of an amp itself, basically a Dumble ODS (Larry Carlton and Santana play Bludotones instead of their old Dumbles, for example) So if I'm not going to gid it, what's the point of keeping it in the bedroom?

If Mike was still doing the mods, maybe I would do, but now with the Bludotone as number one, maybe it's better to send it to the right person who will cherish it as it deserves to be.
Hmm, interesting. Right before I bought my III back in Feb of this year, I had talked to Mike and Rich about modding another no stripe, and Mike was willing to do the works on it. Maybe something has changed since then, or maybe it's a case by case basis.

Hmm, interesting. Right before I bought my III back in Feb of this year, I had talked to Mike and Rich about modding another no stripe, and Mike was willing to do the works on it. Maybe something has changed since then, or maybe it's a case by case basis.
Really interesting. I've known Rich for many years now and Mike has done mods on my Mark 1 (now sold), but when I got this amp, and it was after the Gibson buyout, Rich said they were no longer doing mods, and specifically that Mike was not doing mods. I wonder what the inside story is on this. In any case, I still think that it's a moot point. I would never take an amp this beautiful out to gig, and otherwise, why would I let it sit in my music room, unplayed, or at least mostly unplayed? When I plug in, 95% of the time it's my Bludodrive. I also have a Bludotone, DK 30, the Davy Knowles signature model, that is a 30 watt combo, also great for grab and go gigging, if I don't want to muscle up and carry the 100 watt 'Dumble' head, cab, and loopalator.

I'm serious about downsizing--I'm letting go of a Suhr Badger and a Little Dawg, D-Lux (5E3 circuit), as well as a boat load of pedals and a few guitars.

Thanks. Yes, I have a high plate skyline with NOS parts, Vox grill cloth, and suede covering in the classic Dumble style.

Along with a Bludotone ‘Dumble’ cab with a 90 watt Celestion alnico cream back. And the loopalator.

It’s the reason I’m selling the Suhr badger, the 5e3, and mark 3.

Also, the virtually unknown DK 30, the Davy Knowles signature model, is an absolutely stellar 30 watt combo. I have number 2. :)

Amps are art.

Thanks. Yes, I have a high plate skyline with NOS parts, Vox grill cloth, and suede covering in the classic Dumble style.

Along with a Bludotone ‘Dumble’ cab with a 90 watt Celestion alnico cream back. And the loopalator.

It’s the reason I’m selling the Suhr badger, the 5e3, and mark 3.

Also, the virtually unknown DK 30, the Davy Knowles signature model, is an absolutely stellar 30 watt combo. I have number 2. :)

Amps are art.
Is the Badger Suhr’s take on a dumble? I think he was doing one but can’t remember the name. Hedgehog? 🧐

Is the Badger Suhr’s take on a dumble? I think he was doing one but can’t remember the name. Hedgehog? 🧐
when I was trying the Badger, when it first came out, our Sound Pure Music in NC, someone said, it sounds more Marshall than a modern Marshall. But I think it’s really maybe more of its own thing. Maybe a touch of Vox, done Marshall.

It’s a nice amp, but not on the level of a Bludotone.

Back