Should I consider Nomad or F-series?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
I sold my Mark IV and am looking for either a DC-3 or DC-5. I just want a simpler to use amp than the IV. I am in no hurry and can wait for one of the 2 to come along but should I consider one of the Nomad or F-series. I really like the fact that the Nomads are 3 channel but I really like the graphic option of the DC-series. I play classic hard rock but no nu-metal but like to verge on Metallica black album tones.

from what ive played and experienced in a guitar center with what i think was an f-30 i really enjoyed. very tight high gain channel. i liked it and im sure with enough dialing in you can get a great clean cuz it sounded halfway between a lonestar and recto clean to me.

I have a LSC and it sounds amazing and LOUD all at the same time, however, I also have an F-30. This little amp is a growler. The clean channel sounds good, articulate and punchy. The second channel is a totally in your face monster. I like it best with my 71 Deluxe and the sustain and tone are inspiring to me. You would be amazed at the fire this little thing breathes. At least I am.
Art

As for me I can't speak for the F serie but I have a Nomad 45.
I think the Nomad is more versatile but the F is probably simpler to use.

Also keep in mind the the 3 channels on the Nomad are not straight clean/crunch/lead configuration. It's one clean and two gain channels. Both gain channels go from very low gain to screaming ultra compressed gain but they are voiced differently, one is Mark style and the other is... well other, maybe more british. Unfortunately my favorite edge and lead tones are both on the Mark channel so I have to do with a lesser edge tone on the 3rd channel since I really dig the Mark lead tone, or I stick a Fulldrive ni front of the clean channel.
It's definitly no plug and play amp, but has lots of great tones in it. Thats why I think the F serie would be simpler, with a good OD you got your clean/crunch/lead plain and easy, plus the contour function seems a good idea. But I could be wrong since I never tried one.

I recently tried a Stiletto and was very impressed. But it's probably beside the point here, totally different amp

I agree with a lot of the above. My brother has an F50, and that little amp absolutely rocks!! Great tone, simple design, great low-end for an open-back 1x12, and if you want it to, it can get INSANE loud.

I had a Nomad 100 for a couple weeks, but ended up returning it to exchange for the Stiletto Ace. I liked the versatility of 3 channels, and the onboard EQ (only on the 100), but for some reason, my main guitar just didn't sound good through it. My main axe is an Ibanez S540 which is a thin body. For some reason, the Nomad seemed to expose the thinness of that guitar. My Strat and Epi Dot sounded great, but I couldn't live with an amp that didn't get along with my "go-to" guitar. The Ace just simply ROCKS with any guitar I put in front of it. 8).

So, in a nutshell, whatever you go with, make sure you can try it with you're fiddles.

Here's a thought: consider the DC5 or 10. The GEQ makes it more versatile than the F-series ...and the tone is, of course, all boogie. Can't comment on the Nomad; never played one.

Edward

I have an F-30 and it is AWSOME.

You hear a lot of different opinions on different amps here at this forum but you'll find very few people who don't like their F-30, no matter what style of music they play.

never played a nomad but i can tell you this about the f30.

after getting my f30 i no longer turn on my stiletto ace, studio 22, rectoverb, etc., etc.

the f30 is unlike any other mesa i have ever owned. no endless tweaking needed. set the knobs to 12 o clock and play.

if you WANT to tweak you can but it is not necessary.

i do realize that we all have our own ideas of what the perfect amp should sound like and you may puke when you hear an f30, but i doubt it :)

i own a room full of mesas/marshalls and ONLY use the f30 now.

i have no idea how an amp this small can sound SOOOO good :)

otter

Another thing about the F-series. I have never tried an F-50 or F-100 but they are different from the F-30 because of the tubes. The F-30 uses EL84s while the others us 6l6s.

If you've tried and F-50 or F-100 and didn't like it you should still try an F-30.

When I was looking for my first Mesa I tried the F30, F50, LSS, LSC, MKIV, & Rectoverb. IMHO... the F30 & the MKIV were hands down better than any of the others for the liquid sustain lead sound. The F30 sounded better if you were just going to plug & play and the MKIV sounded dry but really good when effects were added. The only reason I got the MKIV was it was the high end Boogie and I wanted to through a lot of money at it with my wife there so that I could move around to different Boogie models later if I wanted. (Wife gear restrictions in effect here) LMAO But the F30 has one of the best Boogie lead sounds.

I'm glad to hear that I am not alone in thinking the F-30 is a very cool amp. It was my first boogie, but from the day I plugged it in at GC I was blown away by the lead tone. I later picked up a Lonestar, the blue older model, though it was new from the store. I have jammed with the F-30 but have not yet played out with it. I was wondering how it stands up in a band mix for the average size club venue. I know the Lonestar can carry it's own, I would like to give the F-30 a try though. Playing classic rock/blues/blusey jazz.

Art

I just add a Mesa 1x12 cab underneath my "30" for playing out, and I can keep up with the rest of the band easy. Lots less to carry than my old HiWatt 50 in flight cases!

Back