Shipping a tube amp.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron2112

Reaction score
New member here. Pardon the newbie question, but what is the proper way to ship a tube amp? Tubes installed in the head or loose?

Hi, yup this has been covered, but what the hell----
Mesa ships amps with the tubes installed, but they also use amp isolating styro and are insured with warranty, etc.... So, I prefer to handle used gear differently.

Every deal I have ever done (give or get), we pull the power tubes and rectifier tube, but not preamp tubes. It isn't worth the risk of busting one and possibly ruining a tube socket. The "nice guy" approach is to use masking tape to number the tube sockets, then put a number on each tube to identify which socket it came from. Wrap each tube in bubble wrap separately, then put them deep inside the head/cabinet and tape them down, so they can't move. That way, each tube is marked and can be installed in the right socket and is safely wrapped and secure to avoid moving in transit.

Also, if you are using styro peanuts or other packing material that crumbles or has static, the "nice guy" approach is to put the amp inside a large plastic garbage bag and then put it in the box with all the filler. That way, the buyer doesn't have to pull tons of static peanuts out of the inside of the shell.

Anyway, that is the A+ treatment I usually get from sellers and i give to buyers.
My $.02 for what it is worth.

Another usefull tip if shipping a combo is to put the heavy side down. That is to place the amp upside down in the box with the chassis at the bottom of the shipping carton. This will help prevent any damage to the cab and/or the chassis should it be dropped.
Amp mfg's don't do this because the've have very snug,dense packing corners (or whatever they're called) that will give should the box be dropped.
see 'ya,
Jim

Thanks guys. I just picked up a Mark IV head (this is my first tube amp) and was curious if I should alert the shipper on the best way to send it.

+1 to Av8or3, and to add to that, don't put the amp resting on the bottom of the carton. Put some packing material under it. Try as best possible to suspend the cabinet in the middle of the carton, surrounded by well filled in packing material.

Oh, this is especially true if the amp is being shipped to you. Make sure the person packs it well, so that you get it in great condition!

Have them disconnect the FU-3 footcontroller, wrap it in bubble wrap separately and make sure it is in the box in a way that it won't bang around, as well.

Enjoy your new Mk IV!

ron2112 said:
Thanks guys. I just picked up a Mark IV head (this is my first tube amp) and was curious if I should alert the shipper on the best way to send it.

Great choice if I do say so myself :lol:

Some people find them hard to dial in at first, I thought it was easy, especially compared to the rectos which can be a bear to dial in.

Come back if you find you need some help finding you tone.

One peice of advice I would give anyone who is new to the Mark Series.

If you are looking for the tight muted palm metal sound, keep you lead bass 4 or lower (probably 3).It will get flubby above that. If you think it lacks low end, just boost the bass with the built in EQ.

You may already know that, but if you didn't, I probably just saved you hours of frustration.

primal said:
ron2112 said:

Great choice if I do say so myself :lol:

Some people find them hard to dial in at first, I thought it was easy, especially compared to the rectos which can be a bear to dial in.

Come back if you find you need some help finding you tone.

One peice of advice I would give anyone who is new to the Mark Series.

If you are looking for the tight muted palm metal sound, keep you lead bass 4 or lower (probably 3).It will get flubby above that. If you think it lacks low end, just boost the bass with the built in EQ.

You may already know that, but if you didn't, I probably just saved you hours of frustration.

thank you very much. I plan on spending plenty of time with the Mark IV and on the forum learning what I can. I should have it sometime week; can't wait!!!

Latest posts

Back