Royal Atlantic has docked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

If anyone is in the Scranton PA area, Northeast Music in Dickson City has a Royal Atlantic head in stock (just arrived Friday). Unfortunately, Jack isn't interested in trade-ins, so it was a no-go for me. However, Jack is a great guy and a pleasure to buy from. Happy trails!

Matt

Finally! I went and bought a fuchs head cause I got tired of waiting.... last night I played my Mark III for the first time in a couple weeks and realized I must have mesa in my blood. The Mark III is still the best amp I have ever owned. Watching the Royal Atlantic closely :D

I tried out the Royal Atlantic today for about an hour. I played it with my American Strat through a little closed back 1x12 Mesa cab, that was housed with a C-90. My opinions after playing with it and using the settings provided by Mesa in the RA manual? My first thought was a joyous one. I used the first setting listed in the manual. The cleans seemed great, but not as dynamic to my ears as the EDs cleans. To my ears, and through most of the manual's settings, I found the cleans to be more like the Mark Vs cleans -- minus the immediacy of the Mark Vs attack. I am pretty picky with clean tones and tend to hold the Fender 65 Twin Reverb cleans as the ideal clean tone. To my ears, the ED gets closest to that sort of shimmery clean dynamic.

The lo mode is incredible! Seriously my favorite mode on the amp by far. I found the crunch to be very boutique British sounding. I know a lot of people like the Mark Vs crunch tones, but to me the RAs crunch was much more British in every way. The feel was there, as well as the tightness and breakup. The Mark V can get close, but the sound to my ears is more narrowly focused and a touch more compressed. Through and through I loved the lo mode for '90s rock tones -- Everclear, some Foos stuff, etc. My only complaint would be that this mode didn't yield a very good tone when I rolled back the volume knob on my guitar. It just wasn't there. Where the Mark V is too tight, the RA is just right to my ears. The voicing also helps the RA yield a more memorable crunch tone vs. the MKVs take on crunch.

The hi mode was good, but something I couldn't get used to during the 10-15 minutes I dedicated to that mode. I tried numerous settings with the eq and the power scaling (which I will discuss in the next paragraph), but in the end I was just a bit overwhelmed. The mode just behaves so differently than the Roadster, the Dual Recto, the ED, the Mark V, and the Stiletto Ace. It had some good definition for complex chording, but I feel the higher gain crunched too much, to a point where I was wanting some of the smoothness of the Dual Rectos to help even it out. For some of those punky, palm muted, note-filled chord licks, I just didn't jive with this mode. It seemed suited best for some more straight forward rhythm work. Alas, this was and is only an account of my first experience with the amp.

The power scaling feature is very good! Very, very good! Seriously, I couldn't detect much tone changes. The manual hits the point home, and rather logically, that as you use more power soak and add in more power tube clip, the less gain you will need dialed in. I did notice more power tube clip as I followed Mesa's stringent instructions on how to use the power scaling feature, but the difference in tone seemed to my ears to be minimal at best. Overall, I think the power scaling is a very good feature at keeping the loud tonality intact at lower volumes, while adding just enough power tube clip to make the feel of the amp just as lively under your fingers.

The reverb is very, very usable, much more so than the Roadster's dreaded reverb. Anything past nine on that amp sounded like a weird digital effect. With this amp, the reverb, even at full, sounded very usable and almost Fender like (not Super Reverbish, more so Twin-like).

All in all, I like the amp a lot. It definitely seems to sit, in its voicing, in the middle of the Stiletto and the Mark V. To my ears and in terms of where they sit with the mids, the Stiletto is Mesa's brightest high gain amp, followed by the Royal Atlantic, Mark V, Mesa Dual Rectifier Multi Watt, ED, and then Road King/Roadster. The amp definitely feels like a British inspired amp from its voicing and crunch.

I also spent 20 minutes with the Stiletto Ace. Boy, is that amp just bright! Actually, the gain from that amp is more so high gain Marshall-like to my ears than the RA, but the RA is much more of a crunchy mid gain British sounding amp. It felt almost like a smoother, higher voiced Rockerverb.

I also spent about 30 minutes with the ED. I think this amp is just my favorite Mesa amp currently. That, or the Mark V. The cleans are so dynamic and rich sounding, and the crunch has so much complex low-end and top end sparkle. The only thing I can continuously say about my experiences with the ED is that it is one hell of an organic sounding amp.

The RA is definitely worth checking out. I am scheduled to put in a custom order with Mesa Hollywood in the next couple of days. If I get the order in by Thursday, I can have a customized Mesa RA combo by the second or third week of July. I believe the second week of July is when they are scheduled to spend some time rolling out another batch of RA combos. The rep at Mesa Hollywood, after speaking to Mesa, felt confident that I could get my amp no later than the last week of July. Talk about quick! I guess it is all about timing. Mesa doesn't just build all models all at once. The have a schedule where they build a head version of a model according to orders, then they move on to something else, etc, etc.

Considering the RA has been out since Friday, I am surprised that they hasn't been any reviews online thus far. I thought this amp would be a real sleeper. I am going to spend a couple of hours with the amp tomorrow. I am contemplating bringing my Rivera Silent Sister, Macbook Pro, Apogee Duet and SM 57 with me to record the sounds I am getting. This way I can be sure it is an amp I want to pursue putting out a custom order on.

As for the 50/100 watt mode on the amp, I didn't notice too much of a difference between the two modes in my initial experience with the amp. With most Mesa's, there is a noticeable compression that occurs when switching power modes. I didn't get that feeling with this amp. It seemed to just change some of the volume some, as well as the feel while I played. I should also mention that the low end of the amp is very tight and focused on the higher bass frequencies, more so than the Mark V. Where the ED sounds a touch similar to much of the crunchy tones from the RA, the bottom end responses a wicked different (as well as the power tube stages, voicing, etc). The ED has some massively tight low end, while the RAs bottom is tight and higher pitched. That is actually one of the reasons I found so much trouble riffing away as I would on a Roadster. I just wasn't used to the low end response of the amp. For tight riffing, and complex and quick chording, I prefer the focused response of the Mark V to the RA. Although, I will absolutely be able to form a better opinion of the amp tomorrow, now that I sort of now how the amp plays.

As for a lead tone, I thought the RA had good potential for a lead tone. I didn't really spend a lot of time with this. I was more overcome with the crunchiness of the amp, and how the harmonically rich the notes sounded overdriven in a more rhythmic setting.

Did I also mention I played through a cranked Fender Super Sonic 22? To steal a line from Santana, that little amp can really Boogie! Seriously! That amp was the talk of the store and I couldn't help but try it out myself. It is great on the vintage channel!

This was a long review! More tomorrow ...

Thnx for the review BRS.
Won't be getting rid of my ED for the RA.

today is two days later. Tell us about your second visit with the RA! And the general overall impression for a classic rock amp. Thanks,jeffp

jeffp said:
today is two days later. Tell us about your second visit with the RA! And the general overall impression for a classic rock amp. Thanks,jeffp

Actually, today is one day later. He's probably still at work. :)

I am still at work! And I wrote the review just last night!

I am due to rock on it some more after work, so the review will not be up until later. The one thing I dislike about trying amps out in a store other than a GC, is the fact that I feel like an *** going there just to try their amps out and to get a feel. It makes sense to rock an amp before spending two grand on one, but I always get the sense that the smaller shops just want you to buy the amp and be done with it!
:wink:

yep........long story short.....That`s how I made my last mistake! ....anyway let us know I`ll be watching for your post. I have an RA ordered through Sweetwater and I`m kinda stuck on what I`ve read here about the ED, though I`ve never heard one. The local MB dealer was no help with info about either one.What an ***. I`m sold on MB quality build & i still believe in Made in the USA.I went with the RA because of several reasons/newest technology being one. I don`t usually like to back up.But my biggest priority is a CLASSIC ROCK amp. Thanks for listening. Jeffp

If you are looking for classic rock, I think you'll be pretty happy with the RA. The thing that jumped out at me with the RA is just how crunchy its gain tones are. Seriously, that is a tough thing to get past if you are used to other Boogie models.

ED v RA? From my experience yesterday, one difference is the versatility of the two. With the RA, you can dial up any clean you like, set the power soak, and add some nice power tube clip to your cleans. With a touch of reverb, this makes the RAs cleans appear to sound more like a smaller wattage boutique amp. The higher voicing of the amp also helps this sound out as well. If you thought that other Mesa's had too much low end in their cleans, this amp will leave you pleasantly surprised.

The EDs clipping potential is a boon for that amp, especially since it occurs in Mesa's patented Simul Class technology. The overdrive on that amp is just too sweet and very reminiscent of the sweet clip of class A amps, while giving players the power and bottom end of class A/B amps. The RA doesn't have the Simul Class thing going on, but unlike many Boogies, the power section is supposed to be pushed to clip and crunch. I believe that is the reason they put in the power soak function in the first place -- to offer players real preamp and power tube clip and crunch, at different volume levels. With a Marshall, you had to push the power tubes to get that clip. That meant terrible amounts of sheer volume! With the RA, you can get this feel and sound at any level.

This is actually where I'm torn right now. I just don't know where to go, RA or ED? I think the ED would realistically only work for me if I could afford to own two of them. This way, I could run one completely clean and the other dirty. On the other hand, I really like British voiced amps and find the RA's natural voicing to be more to my liking, especially for clean tones.

More later on tonight!

Hey everyone:

It turns out that the RA was sold earlier in the day! The good news is that they are due to receive the combo on Friday. That is according to Mesa's ETA, whatever that means. The bad news is that I drove to the music store for nothing! I hope the guy who bought it was a Boogie Boarder. If someone out there bought the RA in southeastern Massachusetts, congrats!

This is actually great news though. I think I am going to forego the custom options and just buy that combo when it comes in. As much as I also love the Electra Dyne, as well as the Vox AC30 handwired and the Bogner Goldfinger (other amps on my short list), the RA really seems versatile enough to get me where I would like to be for live applications. At the end of the day, I left the Roadster because I didn't like where my sound sat in a rock mix. I need something more vintage and British voiced (higher mids) to help me stand out more. For the type of music I do, the Roadster was just not the right tool for the job.

I will write more when I get another stab at the RA. Hopefully some of you have had a chance to check it out too and can share your experiences.
:wink:

AJ @ sweetwater tells me mine will be shipped today or tommorrow. We`ll see. By the way my son has a brand new Bogner Ecstacy Classic. He bought it, tried it out, and boxed it back up. It`s sitting in my bedroom. Wife says it has to go!
Anyway thanks for all your input on the RA and the reply. jeffp

BRS.......AJ @ Sweetwater says call him... He may have one combo available....good luck ...my head is on the way! Jeffp....extension 1348

BostonRedSox said:
Gracias! We may be two of the first guys on this forum in the new RA Club!

Well thank you both for taking the plunge. I think there are many of us very interested in the amp but waiting to hear more reviews first!

Back