Road King vs. Diezel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
you read my mind, i'd love to know this as well. Especially the VH-4, that amp looks awesome, but with the $4500 price tag, I'm a little iffy about it.

-AJH

here in italy a diezel vh4 costs about the same of a road king II... prices are all a matter of export. I tried a vh4 and it's a great amp, but in my opinion it lacks a bit of that all-tube-head vibe and feeling. That's the reason for which some people think it sounds a bit solidstate-ish... sincerely i would prefer a road king II all the way

i played a diezel herbert a few months ago and i fell in love with it. someday when i have enough cash it will be mine. but at the same time i still love my mesa.

I played both the herbert and the VH4 and was not really impressed by them. Now to be fair i was in a music store on a saturday where there were a million kids. I couldnt crank it and I am not sure what speakers where in the diezel cabinet.

I would like to go back and have a good run with it, maybe use a bogner cab or something, I have heard many people do not like the diezel cabs so that could have been the problem.

Groups/Artists I know to be using Diezels
Wes Borland- VH4
Richie Sambora- Herbert
Weezer-VH4 (they sounded like *** with them and I am big weezer fan)
Adam Jones-VH4 I believe
Godsmack-Herberts
Sevendust-Herbert (I believe they recorded but not toured with it)

I am sure there are many more out there or people switching over, but for the money and for a heavy metal sound I would take a Mesa Rec or a bogner uber anyday.

I played a Herbert once. It is too expensive for me or any of my buddies to own one. Its got a cool sound, but it is definitely solid state-ish... I would describe as "really German." Its super clean, super punchy, super tight, but it is so much so that you could say its character is that it doesn't have character.

if that makes any sense.

They are tube amps that have a slightly SS flavored overdrive, especially when really high gain.

The amp is tight as HELL too...the tracking is amazing! Probably why it's so favored by metal acts.

rabies said:
they have a 5 year warranty, I read the VH4 manual. for $4500, I'd expect a lifetime warranty, MINIMUM!

Adam Jones uses this head, but I think he runs multiple amps simultaneously now. When I saw Tool in 1993, it was only a Marshall.
The rumour is he is using 2 VH4stereo's one is a backup. He still uses mesa recto standard cabs for the boom. For the longest time he used the Marshall bassman, a triple rec, and the vh4 over 2 mesa cabs and a marshall cab. His live rig is very different than his studio work which is many many different tracks with multiple amps speakers and even different guitars.

here in italy a diezel vh4 costs about the same of a road king II... prices are all a matter of export. I tried a vh4 and it's a great amp, but in my opinion it lacks a bit of that all-tube-head vibe and feeling. That's the reason for which some people think it sounds a bit solidstate-ish... sincerely i would prefer a road king II all the way
I think that is usually the case, I am definatley the kind of guy who wants what he cant have.

Im still liking these reviews though its reducing some gas I have, thanks.

you're kidding right ? what kind of moron would trade a diezel for a recto ? personally i like rectos better, but you can get a 2 channel for 850 bucks. Herbert i believe is MIDI compatable. that is kinda nice. alot of people use Diezel in the studio, but i don't think they use them for what you all believe they do. from what i have heard and read they are mainly used in a medium gain type application to thicken the sound up. the high gain you hear on top is usually the everfamous recto. for 4 grand i would rather have a couple amps. just my take though.

I had a VH-4 and it was nothing but blubber and trouble. I ended up so discusted I sold it for $ 2600 about two months after paying $ 3900.
The Dual Rectifer in itself is a good alternative, but the RK II is by far more tonally versatile. It has better cleans and the Brit channel does not sound like a HIWATT on steroids. The Diezel's clean was horrible and channel 2 and 3 just never had enough gain.

what about a Herbert? i sold my dirt bike,had a pocket full of cash and was thinking about gettinga Herbert,but couldnt justify paying that much. the few clips i heard sounded pretty good.wound up with a Stiletto ,Avatar cab,and some fx and still had money left over.GOD I LOVE MY STILETTO!!!!!!good luck with the Diezel

sorryif i got off subject a little

Boogiebabies said:
The Herbert, like the Bogner Uberschall are both attemps to capture the Red/Modern Mesa Rectifier tone at triple the expense.

Are you serious? No they don't.

Their voicings are completely different. Just like how Rectifiers have a unique sound, Uberschalls and Herberts do too. It's like saying Recto's are trying to be like JCM 800s. They are completely different amps with completely different tonal qualities.

People aren't idiots, they don't pay $4000-5000 for amps when they know they can get a Recto for under $2000. They buy Herberts and Uberschalls because maybe they need something with a good clean channel that is versitile and has a MUCH tighter and bigger bottom (Herbert) or something that has the same punchy pissed off bottom that no other amp has (Uberschall).

"People aren't idiots, they don't pay $4000-5000 for amps when they know they can get a Recto for under $2000"

Hmmm....I hate to say it but I know of a few :shock:

JAZZGEAR said:
"People aren't idiots, they don't pay $4000-5000 for amps when they know they can get a Recto for under $2000"

Hmmm....I hate to say it but I know of a few :shock:

Ok, well I guess so me too. But generally, people who have an IQ higher than that of a brick don't spend 2-3 grand more, unless they are obscenely rich.

Nelg said:
People aren't idiots, they don't pay $4000-5000 for amps when they know they can get a Recto for under $2000.
like people buyin markIIC+ for $5000 instead of a MarkIV? :D

BENNY said:
you're kidding right ? what kind of moron would trade a diezel for a recto ? personally i like rectos better, but you can get a 2 channel for 850 bucks. Herbert i believe is MIDI compatable. that is kinda nice. alot of people use Diezel in the studio, but i don't think they use them for what you all believe they do. from what i have heard and read they are mainly used in a medium gain type application to thicken the sound up. the high gain you hear on top is usually the everfamous recto. for 4 grand i would rather have a couple amps. just my take though.

Rectos and Herberts are almost the same price in Europe. I'm actually selling my Recto to outright buy this Herbert. £1400 or nearest offer, mint condition 92 blackface.

You guys are lucky, in parts of Canada we are 1000 miles away from anywhere you can even view a Bogner or Diezel let alone buy one. They maybe the same price in Europe, but at least they are there

I have to admit though all I have heard is that the Uber is messy and deep sounding and didnt cut through the band mix like the recto, and the Diezel was solid state sounding. Too each his own .

I saw the foofighters here last year and they where driven by series I RK's and my god what a sound, what-a-sound!

ytse_jam I really like your post that reminded us of similar costs due to export. I always wondered what I would get if money wasnt the issue, it amazes me to think you can stand in a shop and look at Diezel and Roadkings with similar price tags, then you are gonna pic on performance, nothing else

David.W said:
it amazes me to think you can stand in a shop and look at Diezel and Roadkings with similar price tags, then you are gonna pic on performance, nothing else
the problem doesn't exist, or however i don't consider it, since they're both out of my possibilities! :( :( however it's good to find out some positive points even in these things!

forgot all that U-rope price thing. man i am glad i don't have to pay Xtra for a RECTO. makes me happy to live in america, even if i am trailer trash. :lol:

it's all what you want. Bogners are cool, as are Diezels if i had it my way i would own 1 of all.

Latest posts

Back