Road King vs. Diezel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum, but thought I could give my opinion with this topic. I have 4 main amps running in our studio. A Road King II with Road King cab, a Diezel Herbert running a Diezel 412 NYC cab, a Triaxis /2:90 running with a Mesa recto cab, and a Bogner Ecstasy running with a 412 Bogner cab.

In a nutshell, the Diezel really is an awesome amp. Personally I think it has an enormous tube sound, far far away from solid state (we did have a Line 6 Vetta II-sold it, horrid sound, and 'tone')

Herberts channel 1 really is amazing, bright beautiful, great for jazz boxes and glistening clean tones. Slightly reminiscent of a Roalnd JC120 perhaps? Channel 2 really dials in a Plexi-to SLO crunch, and can achieve full saturation to satisfy very heavy sounds. Channel 3 on the Herbert is over the top, very heavy, very cool. The mid cut feature, and ability to control everything via MIDI make this one hell of an amp, but...... read further down for the huge BUT....

The RKII is just classy all the way with well over 60o tonal variations. You all know what it can do, so how do they stack up with each other? Well the Diezel obviously runs 6 x EL34's standard, so thats already a large diffetence. The Diezel projects slightly more than the Mesa, not in a flat out loud context, but just the sound itself. I found it extremely easy to dial up a sound on the Herbert, but took much longer with the RKII. Dialing in a very tight crunch on the RKII is not anywhere near as easy as it is with the Herbert, but can be done reasonably well. I think going for that huge tight full saturated Hetfield type sound is more easily achieved on a Triaxis/2:90 or even more so on a Triaxis/2:100 rig...anyway, back to the comps.

The 'BUT'.....
Where the Mesa leaves the Diezel in the dust is in terms of reliability. To date, the Herbert has blown 4 blue LED's, blown multiple tubes, MIDI switching has failed to engage on accasion (powering off then on again fixed this) Volume has dropped about 90%, and the bass frequency has dissapeared. Compared with Mesa? My Mesa has a single LED blown-in the last 12 months. I like Mesa's customer service, but they along with the rest of the industry pale in comparison to the service at Diezel. Repairs for free, upgrades for free, biasing for free-even when you are NOT the original buyer floored me, they go well past any other manufacturer in this department. Personal contact with Peter Diezel himself offering advice is pretty neat, he is Mr nice Guy # 1. Having said that, the sheer amount of issues that has happened with the Herbert so quickly, has placed it in the 'too hard' basket

If Diezel made a 4 channel Herbert (NOT a VH4-different beast) and it was as reliable as Mesa, well..... I won't go there.

End of story. We just got rid of the Herbert, and stiuck with Mesa. When you pay over $4,000 for an amp, you don't want it out of action for 2-3 months at a time with repairs. The Diezel gear really is all that, but when you start experiencing these issues, then do a search and see how many other people are having issues with the Diezel gear here in the U.S.....

Hope this helps out.[/img]

rabies said:
What's so special about Diezel heads that they cost almost twice as much as top of the line Mesas?
It's really funny to read that...
Here in Germany, a Mesa Roadking costs 1000$ more than a Diezel Herbert.
We have to pay 5500$ for a new Roadking head and 4500$ for a Diezel.

yes, I did and I walked out with the Roadster.

Something about the Deizel and VHT that although brutal sounding, sound too hi fi. Its as if my signal is being digitized / processed.

They sound good, but the MESA hit me in the gut a little more and responded better to my guitar.

Another amp that did impress was the Elmwood. I can get the Roadster to sound like the Elmwood Modena, so I am keeping the Roadster..... :twisted:

Deizel is a cool amp, just not my bag.

I played a Herbert but wasn't super impressed. I'd like to spend more time with it though.

Adam Jones's live setup as of May was a Superbass, a VH4(S?), and a Herbert. I was sad to see the Dual Rec was gone.

Boogiebabies is exactly correct. The red/modern diode combo of the rectifier has become a specific sound: a soought after tone for many other amp companies to emulate. Marshall, Fender and Boogie have all created certain ICONIC sounds sought after by other amp companies. Remember this my friends and this applies to everything on earth including amplifiers:"There are no substitutes for anything."

Latest posts

Back