Road king volume swell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodut

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently acquired a road king that has been refurbished and updated, or so guitar center tells me. I fired it up, and when I play it sounds fine, but when I stop its like a noise gate turns on and cuts off the sound, than when I play again it takes about a half second for the sound to come back. I was told it might be a tube problem, but it happens on every channel and every linkage option. Is there anyone with an idea on this?

Wow, this is a good one! I'd just recommend doing all you can to try and diagnose the problem, by simple means of elimination, (guitar, cords, effects, etc), then return the thing!

when it is on spongy mode it makes matters worse, could it be a power issue?

Volume swells are usually an indication that your power tubes need to be replaced.

Try to see if you can isolate the problem to either the 6L6's or the EL34's by using the progressive linkage knob.

Try it in tube and solid state rectifier modes and see if it does it in both modes.... If not, I'd say it's a rectifier tube.

If it does it when using 6l6s and el34s, it might be a preamp tube?? Try tapping the preamp tubes with pencil eraser to see if one sounds "louder" or more metallic... if so, swap out that tube... if not, try the one at a time swap until you find the bad one.

It really sounds tube related to me.

If it truely hasn't had the upgrade (as you were told) it could be the early RK issue with the LDR's causing the problem and the only fix is to get the LDR's replaced by Mesa or a certified Mesa repair man.

Keep us posted!

Try it in tube and solid state rectifier modes and see if it does it in both modes.... If not, I'd say it's a rectifier tube.

If it does it when using 6l6s and el34s, it might be a preamp tube?? Try tapping the preamp tubes with pencil eraser to see if one sounds "louder" or more metallic... if so, swap out that tube... if not, try the one at a time swap until you find the bad one.

It really sounds tube related to me.

If it truely hasn't had the upgrade (as you were told) it could be the early RK issue with the LDR's causing the problem and the only fix is to get the LDR's replaced by Mesa or a certified Mesa repair man.

Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back