Retubing my mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmb

Reaction score
In a little while I'll probably have to retube my mesa mark III blue stripe. Can someone recommend me which brand (and type) of tubes to use.
It's a 150 watts model so I need two EL34's and four 6L6's I think.
I play a lot of metal and metalcore, but also some rock (so my clean needs to be still good)
Thanks in advace for the answers

I have had great luck with JJ's in my Mark IV. I purchased them as a retube kit, with high gain front end from eurotubes.com. They sound great for metal, which I play all the time.

Thanks dude
And is it like the name eurotubes says, that the company is from europe. That would be nice, because I come from Belgium you know guys, that little freaking thing for you guys in the USA. Freaking little thing until we start about drinking some beer :D:D

Man, in mine the best sounding tube out of a variety of preamp tubes, including NOS RCAs was the Mesa spax7s, the chinese 12ax7. Those made a big improvement in the tone. I haven't got to try different types of power tubes but I have JJs in mine right now and I'm happy with it.

I've heard that a Tung Sol in the V1 really makes the amp sound 3D, ive yet to test this as I've recently purchased the Hi-Gain retube kit from Bob @ Eurotubes. They are working out very well for me though, no complaints! If you like the tone of the original tubes, you could go with chinese.

Do you think it would cost a lot to ship the tubes to europe. Or else if anyone knows a good place to buy tubes here in europe, that would help quite a lot.
I think it's very nice if you can buy a whole set that makes it much easier, probably a lot less expensive too

newtomesa said:
I've heard that a Tung Sol in the V1 really makes the amp sound 3D, ive yet to test this as I've recently purchased the Hi-Gain retube kit from Bob @ Eurotubes. They are working out very well for me though, no complaints! If you like the tone of the original tubes, you could go with chinese.

I've got Tung Sol 12AX7's in my MKIII. I think they sound great.

Nose,

Here's a very cool and nice shop in the U.K./Europe:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/home.asp

They've got a lot of cool tubes like the Telefunken ECC83, Philips Miniwatt SQ's and stuff, which aren't being made anymore and sound awesome.

Back