Reliability Problems With Lone Star Special's???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
I bought a LSS 112 several months ago. Right after I bought it, I started having problems with the volume dropping off. They installed new tubes, but the problem cam right back. At the time, I thought it was a blessing in disguise because I was offered a LSS 410 as a replacement. I gave it a try and fell in love with it. Now the LSS 410 is acting up with the same symptoms plus a couple new ones. I took it in last week and they said it was probably tubes. They were going to install new tubes that afternoon and give it a try. I would get it back the next day. Well, it's going on a week and it's not just the tubes.

Has anyone else had problems with their LSS?

Res

Resonator said:
I bought a LSS 112 several months ago. Right after I bought it, I started having problems with the volume dropping off. They installed new tubes, but the problem cam right back. At the time, I thought it was a blessing in disguise because I was offered a LSS 410 as a replacement. I gave it a try and fell in love with it. Now the LSS 410 is acting up with the same symptoms plus a couple new ones. I took it in last week and they said it was probably tubes. They were going to install new tubes that afternoon and give it a try. I would get it back the next day. Well, it's going on a week and it's not just the tubes.

Res

The only problem I've had is the rectifier tube going out (so I lose 5W and 15W mode). You'd think that would be the last tube problem you might have, but I've had to replace mine twice. I'm about to retube the power amp and try a couple new options for V1, so will be ordering a couple NOS 5Y3s that will hopefully yield better results.

Other than the rectifier (and of course the 30W mode always works with the diodes), it's solid as a rock.

I think there have been quite a few posts in the forums about the poor reliability of the Mesa 5y3 tubes. NOS replacements are pretty reasonable, make sure you patronize a solid vendor if you use ebay. The old American tubes were very well made and last a long time. Not sure if that is your problem but it is one thing you can do to improve reliability.

I really wanted to love the LSS but all the mini switches frighten me!! I wish they could have used beefier components than that for a gigging amp. My Maverick has two, tucked away in the back corner. The Blue Angel and Subway Blues have 1 each. LSS has 9? I may change my switches out, am just going to keep using what I have now.

Too many posts on this forum are saying that the 5y3 poops in the bed in that particular amp, we know statistics don't lie...four el84's is about two too many for that tube to feed, especially higher current draw operating in Class A, use vintage old stock 5v4, 5ar4, or modern production 5ar4 and you should be much better off. Mesa labeled 5ar4 are copies of the vintage old stock Mullard sawtooth plate 5ar4, they are decent tubes, have also read posts here singing the praises of JJ 5ar4. Don't waste yer dough on any more 5y3's for that amp. Peace.

My 5Y3 pooped out in just about a month of bedroom playing. Since it is a new amp, Mesa sent me a new one. I also bought a JAN Phillips NOS 5Y3 from Doug's Tubes. PLease keep in mind the amp still works when the rectifier tube goes bad-you just have to witch to the 30 watt mode.

Resonator said:

Res

Do you have any problems with your house lights going off or dimming? Did you have another amp-did it have the same problems? I have read one other person having this problem and it turned out to be the power to his house. Just a thought.

twally said:
Resonator said:

Res

Do you have any problems with your house lights going off or dimming? Did you have another amp-did it have the same problems? I have read one other person having this problem and it turned out to be the power to his house. Just a thought.

My home was built four years ago. No problem with the electric. It's all grounded and up to code. I used a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 for three years plugged into the same outlet. Never had a bit of trouble.

I guess it's not the 5Y3 tube, since it doesn't work on the 30 watt either.

212Mavguy said:
we know statistics don't lie...four el84's is about two too many for that tube to feed, especially higher current draw operating in Class A

When four EL84s are in use, the tube rectifier is not. The tube rectifier is only working when you are in 15 or 5w mode. Right?

phyrexia said:
When four EL84s are in use, the tube rectifier is not. The tube rectifier is only working when you are in 15 or 5w mode. Right?

Correct

For the record, my only issues with the LSS were due to tubes. But they are just little pieces of glass and metal made by man (probably woman and little kids but here isn't the place to talk about that)

Resonator said:

Res

Have you gotten your LSS back yet, if so, what was the problem? I have a LSS Head and am interested in what happend to yours.

TW

I'm watching this thread too twally and I don't even own one. But I was thinking of getting a 1;12 combo for a backup for my Blue Angel.

twally said:
Resonator said:

Res

Have you gotten your LSS back yet, if so, what was the problem? I have a LSS Head and am interested in what happend to yours.

TW

I was told today it's a tube problem. two of the EL84's were bad. They ordered a complete matched set of tubes and they should have come in today. They want to hold on to the LSS for a couple days to make sure everything is OK. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the update (and good luck with your amp). I asked Mesa if a person should swap the EL-84's around if they use the 5 watt selection much. My reply was "you should swap the tubes around about every six months when you use 5 watts for an extended period of time ". I want to believe them, but I don't know at this point. It seems to me you should swap them around more often.

TW

twally said:
Thanks for the update (and good luck with your amp). I asked Mesa if a person should swap the EL-84's around if they use the 5 watt selection much. My reply was "you should swap the tubes around about every six months when you use 5 watts for an extended period of time ". I want to believe them, but I don't know at this point. It seems to me you should swap them around more often.

TW

When you say "swap them around", what do you plan to do? I would think swap the inner and outer pairs? I think when in 5W mode 2 tubes are still active (i.e powered) but only 1 is giving any signal to the transformer. Seems like just swapping the pairs would do the trick vs. swapping pairs and swapping position (left / right) within the pair?

simonich said:
twally said:

TW

When you say "swap them around", what do you plan to do? I would think swap the inner and outer pairs? I think when in 5W mode 2 tubes are still active (i.e powered) but only 1 is giving any signal to the transformer. Seems like just swapping the pairs would do the trick vs. swapping pairs and swapping position (left / right) within the pair?

Yes, swap the inner/outer is what I was talking about, and what the Mesa Rep recommended as well. In fact, Mesa stated they wouldn't worry about swapping tubes, but if I wanted to, six months would be a good guestimate on when to do it.

Thanks,

TW

twally said:
simonich said:
twally said:

TW

Yes, swap the inner/outer is what I was talking about, and what the Mesa Rep recommended as well. In fact, Mesa stated they wouldn't worry about swapping tubes, but if I wanted to, six months would be a good guestimate on when to do it.

Thanks,

TW

At the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly do you mean "swap the inner/outer"? There's four EL84's. are you saying take the two middle tubes and place them on both ends,with the two end tubes placed in the two middle positions? And this is only necessary if I play a lot on 5 watts? :oops:

Resonator said:
At the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly do you mean "swap the inner/outer"? There's four EL84's. are you saying take the two middle tubes and place them on both ends,with the two end tubes placed in the two middle positions? And this is only necessary if I play a lot on 5 watts? :oops:

Yep, that's it. Swap the middle two with the outer two. :D

It's not clear if it's "necessary" really. It's just that in 15 or 5w mode, the outer two are getting played. So if you use those modes often, and you want your quad of EL84s to wear uniformly, then switching the positions as indicated will even out the wear.

Yeah, swap the outer/inner tubes is what I meant. If all four are the same color, it wouldn't matter how you swap them around. The Mesa Rep I emailed said it isn't really necessary, but would help extend the life of the tubes. I will be trying this since I am just a bedroom wanker and only use the 5 watt mode.

TW

New to the forum.

I've had my LSS 1 x 12 for two days. The store left the blue casing on the far left left tube and turned the amp on...I noticed it when I brought the amp home. I called, they said to scrape off the blue plastic. I did.

Turn the amp on for the first time. Stinks like burning wire -- seeping smoke.

Clean the tube again and now believe it is the power transformer. I am taking it back to the store to beg them to exchange the amp.

Do the power transformers go quiickly on these?

Dspec said:
New to the forum.

I've had my LSS 1 x 12 for two days. The store left the blue casing on the far left left tube and turned the amp on...I noticed it when I brought the amp home. I called, they said to scrape off the blue plastic. I did.

Turn the amp on for the first time. Stinks like burning wire -- seeping smoke.

Clean the tube again and now believe it is the power transformer. I am taking it back to the store to beg them to exchange the amp.

Do the power transformers go quiickly on these?

BEG? No, Demand a new amp. Where did you buy the LSS?

Latest posts

Back