Rectifier Tubes/Silicon Diodes...?? (...and soccer!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
Could anyone explain to me why different processes of rectification such as rectifier tubes or silicon diodes should cause changes in the tone, since they're supposed to give just DC voltage (or however a rectified wave which will be smoothed out to become DC)? Ideally, shouldn't the output signal of the two rectifier components (again, plus a few resistors and caps) be exactly the same since it doesn't vary in time (being DC)? Are just the minimal differences due to non-ideally working that lead to such a tone difference?

ytse_jam said:
Could anyone explain to me why different processes of rectification such as rectifier tubes or silicon diodes should cause changes in the tone, since they're supposed to give just DC voltage (or however a rectified wave which will be smoothed out to become DC)? Ideally, shouldn't the output signal of the two rectifier components (again, plus a few resistors and caps) be exactly the same since it doesn't vary in time (being DC)? Are just the minimal differences due to non-ideally working that lead to such a tone difference?

Tube rectification basically will give you more sag or a more elastic feel to your sound . Silicon diodes are more efficient and give you a bolder feel without sag . Hope that helps

Barry said:
ytse_jam said:

Tube rectification basically will give you more sag or a more elastic feel to your sound . Silicon diodes are more efficient and give you a bolder feel without sag . Hope that helps
thanks barry, it helps for the sonic details. But i was more interested in the technical/physical differences between the two DC voltages differently rectified from tube or silicon diodes.

From what I understand my explanation may be a little clunky since I know enough to be dangers but I’m no tech.
They both supply DC current yes.
If you are using the tube rectifier the more you crank the amp the more demand for current of coarse. With the tube it gets to a point where it has problems with the demand so it browns the circuit or starve it whatever you like. Which alters your tone or as Barry said “Tube rectification basically will give you more sag or a more elastic feel to your sound”

The Silicon on the other hand is very efficient and keeps up with the demand put on them. There are add-on components out there to replace your tube rectifier with silicon no mods necessary just replace your tube rectifier with the silicon slips right in the tube socket (need the right one or one’s for your amp of coarse)

Some Boogies on the other hand, tube or silicon, which is a great option

thanks for the explanation, 6L6C! so, what makes rectifier tube different is its non-perfect working, right?

Yeah pretty much. It basically “browns out” but always changing! Not like a variac or anything like that where you alter the voltage, it can change with the dynamics of your playing (the demand you put on it) back to what Barry said “Tube rectification basically will give you more sag or a more elastic feel to your sound”

Scratch the variac bad example! and does not work the same!

many thanks again. Could you define the word "sag" as related to guitar tone? i'm italian and i sometimes have got some problems in understanding all slang terms you use! thanks

ytse_jam said:
many thanks again. Could you define the word "sag" as related to guitar tone? i'm italian and i sometimes have got some problems in understanding all slang terms you use! thanks

When somethings sags, it droops, or loosens or sinks a bit . Hence an elastic feel . It gives a bit . I see by your profile pic you are a football fan . I suppose you are very happy with the results of WC 2006 ?! Our USA team overall wasnt much except in our game with Italia . Very physical . My mum is from England so i was pulling for them as well . Loads of talent but didnt seem to gel .

Barry said:
ytse_jam said:

When somethings sags, it droops, or loosens or sinks a bit . Hence an elastic feel . It gives a bit . I see by your profile pic you are a football fan . I suppose you are very happy with the results of WC 2006 ?! Our USA team overall wasnt much except in our game with Italia . Very physical . My mum is from England so i was pulling for them as well . Loads of talent but didnt seem to gel .

Oh yes, i'm very happy we won the world cup, even if i absolutely didn't expected it! Must say we haven't played the best football and we have been quite lucky with australia for example. Some players (like totti) of ours weren't in great conditions though.. And yes, Italy-USA match has been very physical and i found your team to be better than i had expected, compliments. But here in italy we love our favourite team (and the national tem too) as much as our mothers! I play football too but not as a pro.

ytse_jam said:
Barry said:
ytse_jam said:

Oh yes, i'm very happy we won the world cup, even if i absolutely didn't expected it! Must say we haven't played the best football and we have been quite lucky with australia for example. Some players (like totti) of ours weren't in great conditions though.. And yes, Italy-USA match has been very physical and i found your team to be better than i had expected, compliments. But here in italy we love our favourite team (and the national tem too) as much as our mothers! I play football too but not as a pro.

I fully understand that football is huge to you in Italia as it is in England to my relatives . Im a huge fan of football (soccer to us ). I cant understand why more people in the US dont embrace the sport as it is WORLD FOOTBALL playing against the rest of the world . I cant figure out why more Americans dont want to win on a global scale instead of just embracing American football which is just indigenous basically to just the USA . Wonder what he said to Zedine to make him lose his cool like that ?!

Not only do tube rectifiers cause sag, you will notice that the transients at the beginning of the notes get squashed a bit. An electrical engineer will tell you that transcients contain high frequency harmonics, so we perceive notes with softer (less loud) transcients as slightly warmer in tone.

You can hear this dramatically using the LSS in 5 watt mode (5Y3 rectifier). Notes sound softer and warmer, especially snapped or popped notes.

ylo said:
Not only do tube rectifiers cause sag, you will notice that the transients at the beginning of the notes get squashed a bit. An electrical engineer will tell you that transcients contain high frequency harmonics, so we perceive notes with softer (less loud) transcients as slightly warmer in tone.

You can hear this dramatically using the LSS in 5 watt mode (5Y3 rectifier). Notes sound softer and warmer, especially snapped or popped notes.

thanks a lot ylo. I'm not a tech (though i understand some electronics) but i find these arguments very interesting.

Barry said:
I fully understand that football is huge to you in Italia as it is in England to my relatives . Im a huge fan of football (soccer to us ). I cant understand why more people in the US dont embrace the sport as it is WORLD FOOTBALL playing against the rest of the world . I cant figure out why more Americans dont want to win on a global scale instead of just embracing American football which is just indigenous basically to just the USA . Wonder what he said to Zedine to make him lose his cool like that ?!
i like american football, but i must say i still prefer the great old rugby, much more physical even if not so spectacular! there are definitely two different sport cultures... many many people in italy love football (ops... i mean soccer :D ), but there are many who don't care for it and prefer american sports! so the same thing happens in usa. And however you could always win on a global scale with basketball, no? :D Well in the end i'm happy you really don't care that much for soccer so we italian and europeans can always hope to win something! yours is such a big country that if you were a little bit more interested in soccer it would become hard for us... 8)

uh i've forgotten zidane... by the way, is it talking about american football that you reminded of him, Barry? :D :D
some people say materazzi said bad things about zinedine's sister and mother (probably he said they weren't so tight as a mesa mark IV or they were biased too hot, eh eh)... definitely not a good behaviour by both the two

ytse_jam said:
ylo said:

thanks a lot ylo. I'm not a tech (though i understand some electronics) but i find these arguments very interesting.

Barry said:
i like american football, but i must say i still prefer the great old rugby, much more physical even if not so spectacular! there are definitely two different sport cultures... many many people in italy love football (ops... i mean soccer :D ), but there are many who don't care for it and prefer american sports! so the same thing happens in usa. And however you could always win on a global scale with basketball, no? :D Well in the end i'm happy you really don't care that much for soccer so we italian and europeans can always hope to win something! yours is such a big country that if you were a little bit more interested in soccer it would become hard for us... 8)

Thats exactly why we should be more interested , because we have the resourses with so many great atheletes here in this big country . We should be able to dominate the sport or at least compete with the best soccer teams in the world , Brazil, Argentina, Italia, England , etc... Anyhow congratulations on winning the World Cup . its not an easy task to go through all the brackets and get to the final . I tip my hat to Italia

Back