question on the MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all fairness, I think you have to make a distinction between the different JCM 2000 models as well. I believe the DLS 100 is Marshalls most popular tube amp right now. However the TSL 100, while more feature laden, is considered by MANY to be sonically inferior to the DSL. There are still others who state that the DSL 50 is the best current production Marshall. I personally have seen quite a few guys on stage with DSL 100's or 50's behind them getting very good tones. It's all about personal preference on the sound side. Marshall does make some very good sounding amps. My beef is with the contruction and reliability of recent models. The singer in my brother's band has an old late 60's plexi head (lucky *******). He beats that thing to death night after night and he never has any trouble with it. In contrast I have a buddy who's had his TSL 122 combo (which he babies) in the shop several times for major repairs, including a blown output transformer. For what you get, I feel that current Marshalls are quite overpriced. Resale value is usually a good indication of how a product holds up as well. You can find quite a few used Marshalls on ebay for far less than half of their original sale price. Boogies on the other hand, hold their value very well in the resale market. As with any quality product, you get what you pay for.

I bought a MkIII back in 1986 and for the next 17 years played it on the job 5 or 6 nights a week. I still play it on a daily basis and gig most every weekend since my road warrior days. It has the original fuse in it. I've changed the power tubes about every six months, and by the way I've run sovtec 5881's in it all that time with nothing but great smooth sound. I'm thinking of ordering a new set of caps for it; that is if it ever starts humming or making noise. Your freind with the crate obviously has no concept of tone and probably would'nt know what to do with a real amp anyway. :lol:

Back